Lets talk boots.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Lets talk boots.

Post by wvfarrier »

Ill admit, i am a bit of a boot snob. I like my cowboy boots but i like them "right". I had been purchasing Tony Lamas but the quality has fallen off since they shipped their construction to Chicoms. So, im looking at custom makers, who do you use and why?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lets talk boots.

Post by ollogger »

I also love my boots, for the last 40 years my main work boot has been Whites, logger style
as thats what i used to be, i still wear them as i have 4 pair for the rest of my life, i think they
do make a cowboy boot, but some guys i know have the Wilson boot & they say they are the best
for a kicking around boot double H works better for me than Tony Lama or Olathe

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

paulbondboots.com. Had my 1st pair of custom boots made there over 45 years ago. And my last pair of custom boots. Both upon the occasion of selling a magazine article. Both pairs cost more the article paid, but... the boots are worth every penny... the articles... not so much!

I've also bought 2 pair of his ready made working cowboy boots. One pair w/ a black vamp & brown shaft, single stitched, and one brown vamp w/green shaft, multi-stitched. The working cowboy boot is very comfortable in a stirrup, snug , and even with it's 2-1/2" heel, stable on the ground. But pay attention on rocky ground! Spur shelf works, unlike some others I've had.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Seems like there was a very well-regarded bootmaker in the Stockyard District of Fort Worth. They had a big chair you sat in while they took all kinds of measurements to make lasts of your feet. I have never had the money for this kind of a deal, but it would be nice to have a fitted pair that were "just right."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm currently wearing Lucchese and really like them. For fifty years I wore boots bought from ElPaso and made in Juarez. Can't remember the name right now. Austin Hall, now I remember but they are no longer in business that I can find.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’m going to follow this thread. My feet do not fit any off the shelf boots anymore. Redwing stopped using the last that fit me 20+ years ago.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Another vote for Paul Bond. I wore Justin for decades, have a good pair of Lucchese, but these Paul Bond roper style are the most comfortable walking boot I've had.
20190531_082703.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Depends on your lifestyle and who you think you are.....

I have more money in boots than the combined worth of all of my clothes ...but I'm a guy who doesn't even own a suit.

For my everyday wear it Redwings ..American Redwings.....the Chinese ones are Ok but I've had them leak on me. There's different Redwings for different needs....I like the loggers while doing rough work and the ones I have in the picture on for tooling around the house and yard.

Cold weather and woodloafing...Danners......American Danners.....

As of now, I own 4 pairs of Redwings, 1 pair of Danners, a several pairs of American made military boots and a pair of slippers I paid $15 for.

There's an old saying.....NEVER scrimp on a mattress or the shoes you put on your feet.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Ditto on Redwings.

Redwings Heritage line, those are ones made here.

Bought a pair in '86 working in aviation electronics. Wore them on and off for years.

Son found they fitted him working aircraft ramp/sort late 2000's.

We paid to get Redwing to overhaul them, they did. He's still wearing them.

Got an 8" boot for the cycle. Got some 6" Iron Ranger for driving. Looking at a pair of their camp shoes.

Right now their production is messed up, I suspect from the plague issues.

By the way, if you're in Redwing MN, I *highly* recommend going by their store/museum.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do not need boots often. My boots are Herman Survivors. I had some by Rocky several years ago that the sole just came off.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wesco is my choice. They offer custom fittings as well as off the rack. Just north of $300/ pair last I looked. Great boot although the break-in was brutal! Never had so many blisters. They make unlined, or nsulated , completely rebuildable in i believe 6,8,10 &14".
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

For thirty-eight years, I got a free pair each year from my employer. My choice of brands. Only restriction was safety toe and ESD rated. Now that the last pair is wearing out, I'll have to fall back on my 1970 army boots. Some day I my have to buy a pair of boots. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My army boots were worn out. Lot of miles on those Leather Personnel Carriers. It took 3 years to wear the soles on both pair to smooth. All tread worn off.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

piller wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:31 pm My army boots were worn out. Lot of miles on those Leather Personnel Carriers. It took 3 years to wear the soles on both pair to smooth. All tread worn off.
I got two new pair when I joined the NG on the veterans "Try One" program. One was enough. :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

this is the closest thing I have to a cowboy boot... :)
sneaker.c.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Work boots. Redwing (those made in the US)
Outdoor boots. Keene, though this may change as fewer and fewer styles are still made here.
Dress boots. Various. The only requirements are US made comfortable and they look good.

Last time I looked at a pair of jungle boots they were made in Viet Nam. Go figure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I am going to look at the Paul Bond website. Sounds interesting

I have 2 pairs of Justin crepe sole boots in full quill big bird, one pair square toe and the other round. These can go to church or even everyday wear but the crepe sole does not look dressed out enough for slacks

Work/casual, i use a pair of Lucchese smooth ostritch - also crepe sole. These are a very high quality boot but I don’t wear them as much as the others because they have a full thickness leather upper shank instead of the split hide shank More commonly used. It makes them pretty heavy and i really like light footwear here lately (bad knees)

For sitting a lot in frigid temps, i have the Sorels with the pull out wool liner sock,

But for hiking in on a cold day, i have the US made thinsulate lined Danner Ft Lewis boots. These are heavy but a delight to wear, —. One caveat, - they are 10” tall and im not in the military anymore, so im going to consult with a cobbler to see if he can modify the upper shank into about a 5” height. The tall boots are a pain to keep laced, and are nnot fun if you are going in and out all the time and are constantly taking them off

And yes, Danner makes shorter boots, but i really like these and hate to let them go to waste
----- Doug