The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Disney owns Fox.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, well, well ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I was able to get my Filson Tin cloth pants on, gun loaded, collar & bell in the truck before the chaos started. Got more than halfway there and realized I forgot Claro's water! Turned around and drove home. Glad I did! I forgot stuff I had for one of the club guys( he didn't show up)

Too warm for sure but the Mighty Brown hunted like the seasoned pro she is. We got the first bird of the season (in the club) , then another and a 3rd. My little ol 28 ga spoke 3 times. By the 3rd bird, maybe 30 minutes of being in the field Claro was hot, she got a drink from her bottle and then I poured water on her.

Got home to more chaos, momma Win and Parker were howling bloody murder!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:59 am Disney owns Fox.
Hey there 134 winner.....

I did not know that Fred......thank you! Sometimes I'll come in from outside and mom is a raving maniac.(not unusual) I'll ask her what's bothering her and she says, "you should have heard what that F.W. Martha and Shannon were saying on Fox".

Well, that explains it....after watching NewsMax and OAN I'm pretty much done with Fox.....I really like NewsMax.......

I tell ya Fred.....this election was outright stolen and I'd feel the same if it was the other way around.....Monday morning I'm gonna start my phone calls and tell them all that myself, along with everyone I know is done voting until they make it "one person-one vote."
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok boys.
As you know, I ain't a whiner or self pity type. After yesterday, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will probably be voted off the island.......I mean Gun Room Thread.
Maybe old Jay is losing it. Going to seed.....
So you all know about the events of last Saturday with the little doe and the buck. It was exactly as relayed to you all but now I'm wondering if my "reasoning" was valid.

Yesterday morning, I'm sneaking in the trail I made up the northeast side of the lot along the stream. I cannot convey what a hole this is. This area is so bad it isn't even accessible. The trail did what I hoped, as the deer use it too because it's the only place you can walk.
The trail runs north and south with the stream on the right to the east. The stream, however, is some distance away as there is a large area along it with alder and swale.
I was almost to my stand when I thought I heard the faintest whisper in the swale grass. I looked and saw a piece of a deer heading north. I figured I bumped it up and would continue north through the grass and alders.
Nope. It was a huge doe, and she swung toward the trail and came right to the edge in front of me! She stopped at the edge behind a couple narled old cedars, ducked her head under a cedar limb and looked right at me. I was in the trail on one knee not 20ft.......yup, 20ft away with the old 73 leveled on her. She obviously hadn't smelled or heard me. Must have been coming from water. In my experience, these big old does are more cagey and careful than the bucks. I completely beat her! You could see the look in her eyes.
We both froze. I could see her upper neck and shoulder bone for shots. I told myself "one more step", while I knew she'd never take it. We sat there for what seemed an hour, till she slowly made one step back, turned, and went the way I figured she would at the start.
Why didn't I just swing the barrel of the old 44 six inches and shoot her through the head? Why? It was never going to get easier. This probably would have been my record doe.
It's not like I'm some 12yo kid all shaky and excited.
I don't understand........
Trust me, I'm the least insecure person in the world (or i wouldn't have written this), but I feel like I've let everyone down.
Sorry Jack, I know you wanted me to get one with your bullets. I'm starting to think you sent em to the wrong guy.
Weather warmed up too.
I'm going to keep at it, but for the first time, my confidence is shaken. I know my 79yo dad would've giggled and dumped that sucker in .0000002 seconds.

OW out.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
You are no longer my pal or buddy.......you are now my brother! Well done! I've seen deer with their jaws shot off....a head shot out of a cold barrel offhand is not always easy, even at 20 feet.....put yourself in the deer's hooves.......

You will sleep better not taking the shot verses seeing a piece of bone/teeth flying off the skull of the deer and never seeing the deer again. It's the same with neck shots....there's a lot of muscle surrounding the veins and vertebrae.

You are now a mature hunter......and probably have been all of your life.....relax, there is still one more stage of hunting that you have yet to enter.......my stage where you prefer to just look at them......and it's not from lack of physical effort or a place to hunt.....something happens to a man as he ages.

Well written story bro......as always, you have my respect-----fellow bro----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Loss of testosterone.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:26 am Loss of testosterone.
I don't know about that Fred as to the loss of Testosterone resulting in a different outlook when it comes to hunting......I'm 66 and I'll still think nothing of getting in a fight..if I have to....I still want to be the top dog in what I pursue in life......

I believe it's civilization along with the knowledge that all animals are just trying to survive, no matter the tier level of the life form. Dogs come from wolves and look at how lovable dogs are compared to their ancestors.....We all have seen all levels of animals that are capable of companionship with humans......(except humans and humans)....no smiley face.....

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Coffee Time!

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhh.....fresh shipment of Black Rifle coffee came in yesterday .........the Silencer Smooth is super.....

Our coffee headquarters.....---6

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy. It could be loss of T, like OS says. He is WAY smarter than me.
Hard to say.......
But you are right. I'd rather not shoot one at all than wound or maim one. I have too much respect for whitetails. Incredible animal.
I've been that was since I was a kid.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have taken less than good shots in the past. You did the right thing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just saw a post on another forum. NOT MY PEDO. I am seriously thinking of getting a t-shirt made with that and Biden's picture.

Anyway, passing up on a possibly bad shot when you are not in serious need of the meat is not a sign of weakness.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

All wild critters are doing is trying to survive, nowadays the hunters, not so much. It does makes a difference if you look at it that way, compassion is not a fault as long as common sense prevails. I am sometimes happy when the critter gets the better of me and sometimes sad when it don't, I hope that's what makes me a Human.
Good luck and good shooting on the next one... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jay, what is the perceived issue here? You didn’t feel right about the situation and didn’t shoot. Ok.... so the ;);7:$ what? If you hunt long enough,and we both have, every hunter finds themselves in a shoot, no shoot situation. I didn’t feel like killing it, is just as real no shoot reason as any other. You gonna go hungry tonight because of your decision? No. When it is right you won’t even have to think about it.
You still beat her at her game on her home field.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

So I had to get away today. News, work, my Mom is having some health issues bleck. So my happy place is behind a gun, specially an old gun so today I had a newer 357 Marlin for load development and I also took this
DB9D8F3F-A13B-45C1-B39F-65B7A77DEB3C.jpeg
79128EC0-877D-4FC0-965A-F5D6CE327F73.jpeg
1886 takedown in 33wcf. Only shot it out to 50 yards because I can’t see more than that without a scope but she is on and fun. I am still sick about the election but for a little while I was in my happy place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Decrease in T is just the physiology of aging. It does lead to a change in attitudes/outlook. Not saying I could diagnos a particular case but it is what happens.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Right call! Most of the time I go deer hunting anymore it's just to relax. There is something that soothes the soul when we take the time to connect with Mother Nature. Watching the birds flit around, squirrels scratching their nuts- I mean gathering nuts. The magic of a deer appearing is just icing on the cake! However I'm completely sure if that doe had taken that 1 step more you would have made the perfect shot and celebrated her life.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys.
That's the thing, I just can't really put a finger on it. I didn't like the shoulder cause I don't like to shoot meat. Kinda defeats the purpose. :D

I guess now I'm preferring to think it was God.
He made me wait so I could shoot a real smasher buck with the old 73 later on. :D

I hear you OS. There is no doubt I can see a change compared to when I was younger.
In a LOT of things haha! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well done Jay. A mature hunter indeed and thought.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the brink of 73 I can say by 66 I could still hit the ball with the young guys in golf even after recovery from multiple fractures and dislocations in the head-on. Not so now.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My dad is 79 and he is still what a lot of my hunting is about. The time spent with him is priceless. I see a difference every year now. He does great still, but I worry more.
He struggled some getting the combination on the lock at the gate the other morning. Of course, the next day he had to pile out of the truck before I could so I wouldn't do it.
Had to "redeem himself", which he did.
I'm sure it's hard for him, as he can see a difference too.
I'm going to keep him at it for as long as I can.
I owe him more than I could ever give.
What a great time November is! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Be thankful you still have your dad! It's great the two of you are out there together. One old timer that hunted with us was still going to Colorado at 89 for elk hunting. Finally about his 92nd birthday rolled around his daughter took his car keys away ending his hunting! If his sprit is there then by all means keep your dad in the woods! One of the guys I shoot with has a bad back /hip, diabetic, eyes are cloudy etc but he always tells us I don't care if you have to wheel me to the line I want to shoot!

What a lousy day in the ZZ ring! Half in the shade, half sun, orange targets against orange- red- yellow leaves for the background made for terrible scores from everyone. My last trip for the year- now until spring just bird hunting!

Time for GunShip! Hey Six do the folks at BRCC send stickers in each box? I've asked them to stop.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:18 pmI owe him more than I could ever give...
My Dad never liked hunting... as he explained it growing up on a share-croppers farm... "I was given two .22 bullets, told to come back with at least 2 squirrels..." Said that made it a "chore". He was the youngest of 6 boys & 3 girls, it was either squirrel hunting or work in the garden with Mom & sisters, too small and in the way with the mules... Always found his best time was sittin' by the stream fishing. From my first encounters with him, fishin' was his "thing"! I never had a problem "catchin'" fish, it was the actual "fishing" that bored me silly! Salt or fresh water, made no difference to him. I look back on our times sitting in the boat fishing for halibut or sea bass as the best times I had with him. I wish that after he retired he hadn't moved back to TN where he grew up... Even after I moved to TX I tried to get him to come visit and fish my pond... Although he said he was tempted... he didn't want to leave the United States again... felt Texas was too much "Mexico" for his tastes!!!

My uncle Roy however, (#4 son), who never ventured from his farm, hunted black bear & deer... paid no attention to silly things like "seasons" or licenses, "...tricks to get my money..." Can't remember how many times my Dad told me Roy got arrested for poachin'... Got in an accident when he was 88 or 89, told the cop, "no I ain't got a license... they never asked for one when I bought this p/u new back in '46." Nobody's ever asked for one since either!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha great stories Griff! I know guys like that too.
Only fishing I really like is on little ponds up here. Out in the middle of nowhere, in a canoe, fly fishing for brook trout. Ice fishing is kinda fun too. In a different way.
My maternal grandfather was a warden up here and avid hunter and fisherman. My dad's father never hunted or owned a gun. A real weirdo up here. He worked all the time.
My dad has always loved guns and hunting. Thank the Lord! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My maternal grandfather was a Justice of the Peace, he met all the poachers right there in the living room of his house. One day the sheriff brought in 2 guys, no licenses, fishing out of season, then 2 deputies walked in with a wash tub full of trout a bd dumped the contents on my grandmother's floor! That was back in the 40s, on occasion during the summer you could still get a wiff of fish 40 years later! Sure am sorry I never got to meet the man!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Your uncle Roy and me would have been lifelong friends.....you have to keep in mind when he was young there were no such laws.

Some laws are a must......many, if not most are for revenue accumulation with a hint of "need".

My BIL, who built houses for a living, told me the cost of building a house would be near half if they just went back to regulations from the seventies that made sense. In my particular case...(built in '74), the builder had to add on extra money for 12" block instead of 8".....a perimeter drain field with a pump in the basement in case of flooding. ......"K" copper instead of cheap "M".....bettter shingles and a few other "make sense" regulations.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey do any of you guys have any roundball/ BUCKSHOT molds?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Oh master Gunny how may I assist you with little lead droplets?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:32 pmHey do any of you guys have any roundball/ BUCKSHOT molds?
fordwannabe wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:48 pmOh master Gunny how may I assist you with little lead droplets?
I only have RB molds in .375, .380, .520, .526, .530 & .535 denominations!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey FWB- YA GOT MY 10 POUNDS OF BUCKSHOT POURED YET?? Oops sorry about the caps! :lol:
10 lbs of 4 buck, 10 of 00 and 10 of .311 should hold me a little while.... Now that I have these small gauge presses I want to play with buckshot loadin.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I've got a mess of round ball moulds but I've found it easier to buy what I need as I just don't shoot a lot of BP...in fact, I don't shoot a lot of anything anymore.

Man! Do I feel like Pelosi! Must be "Trump Withdrawal".----6

I won't even turn on the news anymore.....mom is still watching and is on the phone 18/7 with her sisters...blah...blah....I'm just moping around with zero direction.----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought some plastic sabots for a 50 caliber muzzleloader a while back. I got some lead 230 grain .452 inch bullets for the sabots as they are for .45 caliber to fit in a .50 bore. A few pounds of Pyrodex and American Pioneer Powder are stored with my other propellants. My inline muzzleloader can use either musket caps or 209 shotshell primers. It is capable of using up to 150 grains of black or a substitute such as Pyrodex. For those States which allow inline muzzleloaders, it would be quite good. I probably should get it out to a range and practice a little with it. Having options is usually good.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, 12 peices of 4 buck fit in a 28 ga wad- gonna have to get me some 4 buck too!!! ( hint hint, FWB)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny......we all know someone who is an "expert" at this or that.....I have a nephew, whom I can't stand, but this guy can think like a deer......he is near as old as me......he says "nothing beats #4 buck".

It must be good as my other buddy who died a couple of weeks ago was cremated with a couple of #4 buckshot in his arm. 30 years ago my nephew shot at a deer and also shot his friend. He used to let us put our finger on the balls that were imbedded in the flesh.

The LEAD balls!---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used to use 4buck on deer drives, my 870 with 30" barrel that I ported & honed fixed choke is devastating with 4 buck- only problem is 27 pellets just wrecks a lot of meat!!

Does anyone recognize Lyman mold # 37583 ? I've got this mold, in the mix with these shotgun presses. Not sure if its a rifle or pistol mold....
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny.....I'm not 100% but am 99% that the 37583 is a RARE mould. I have one :D ......it's a short bullet for the 38-55 around 130 grains.......guys would load that with a few grains of Unique for filling the pot at camp......

Guess you could also use it for the 375 HH for pest shooting...--6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 38-55?
Now you're talking OldWin's language.

Where's my coat? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:34 pm
Where's my coat? :D
I saw your coat today....I was driving past a car junkyard and they had a crane with a big electro magnet picking up junk cars. On the side of the magnet was a coat so I stopped and asked the crane operator and he said some out of state guy in a hemi powered truck was driving down I-95 and as he was swinging the magnet to pick up a car this coat came flying out of his truck due to all the steel that was in there and stuck on the magnet. He said steel that's around a hundred years old wont come off the magnet.

Hope this helps. I also mentioned you on Jim T's post on "favorite cartridge"

How many 38-55's do you have? I'm down to 4....2 Winchesters, a Marlin and a Savage.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha sounds about right. I saw that buddy, thanks. Don't tell too many about the coat. It makes it tough to go shopping. :D

I have 5 38-55s. Two half mag src's and 3 full octagon standard rifles. I've owned 3 others. A full mag round barrel rifle, a half mag round barrel rifle, and a 2/3 mag carbine.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You had a 2/3 mag carbine???!!!! ......and you sold it???! I'm coming up there tomorrow to beat you into next week!!!! If brain's was short distance, you would be in outer space!!!!!'

That's OK....your still my pal---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 pm I have taken less than good shots in the past. You did the right thing.
Yep. Head shots are far too often crippling and slow death.
Only good for something 2-legged attacking you with no better shot available.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Doc! Probably could have made it at 20ft. But.....

Haha yeah I know.....
Full disclosure, it was drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and was a little rough. A friend at work wanted it so I let it go. It wasn't a saddle ring. It was an eastern carbine.
Just so you know, I had a 32-40 in the same configuration.
The 32-40 is scarce up here. I only have one, a full octagon rifle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Jay...you are officially exonerated.......the gun was a beater....better left for the beginners of the game.....you and I only get the good S.....

Just watched Tom Horn for the 16th time.......what a fiasco to the real life Tom Horn.....I'm guessing the budget for the movie was $200.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah you got that right!
I saw a thing one time on the history Channel. They had an 1894 Winchester in 30wcf that belonged to Tom Horn. By the serial number and the date of his death, he only had the rifle for something like three years, and the bore was completely shot out. :shock:
That old boy did some shootin!

Hitting the hay old buddy. Take it easy bud.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixer- I did a little snooping online last night, that 375 mold supposedly throws a 150+/- grain bullet for 38/55. So I guess I have to find some handles and fire up the pot! It's a single cavity, some minor surface rust- should I worry about rust inside? Sticky I assume?

I saw lots of deer hides on I78 the other day, you could always collect roadkill for a new coat! :lol: Ofcourse ya might become road kill while trying to pick up hides!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good score Gunny!
Put the Kroll to those blocks. Soak em good, put a little heat to em, and buff with 4-0 steel wool.
Then just burn off the Kroll residue and give em a try. Most I have done this with work well. Even when rusty, the ones I've found usually aren't pitted. Or, at least so little, it doesn't matter.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...Gunny...Master Jay has it be good...he in da know......I don't like to argue with the best of them but I still say PB Blaster dissolves rust better than Kroil. Kroil may get down inthe threads better but PB dissolves rust.

I'll take one of those cotton thing a ma jig polishers from my dremel selection board......I'll pick one out that's slightly larger than the cavity and chuck it in a drill press or run it in a dremel at low speed.......then slowly squeeze the blocks on to the cotton thingy.......not hard....just enough to get spin and clean em out.

On a rusty or slightly rusty mould this will take the bluing off and you will have to "break in the mould again" ...sometimes....sometimes I'll get perfect bullets right off the bat.....

Your handy...make yourself your own handles or modify a pair you don't us. I have some handles that work on anything..the tongs look like Swiss cheese with all the different holes.----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Kroll it is as i have that ! Now to try and figure out a load. I have a set of Lyman handles somewhere...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, what is the largest, diameter .45 Colt you cast?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:36 pm Six, what is the largest, diameter .45 Colt you cast?
Fred,
I have a Lyman Keith semi wadcutter......can't remember the number....454424?... but this mould number is notorious for casting large and they come out at .457. I shoot very little 45 Colt and when I do I shoot the 200 grain semi wadcutter designed for the 45 auto...they come out around 452 or 3----6
Model A Uzi’s