Help with scope choice and info on vintage Weavers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Help with scope choice and info on vintage Weavers

Post by fordwannabe »

I have a Marlin model 88 that needs a scope. They were made 1948-1956 so I am not looking for a 6 20x50 long range thingie. I am looking at a vintage set of weaver rings and want a vintage scope. I am pretty secure in knowledge about the K series scopes. My question is about the “other” Weaver scopes, does anybody know about the “J” series and any just general knowledge about vintage Weavers. Hope this makes sense. Thanks guys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Help with scope choice and info on vintage Weavers

Post by Sixgun »

T-Bone...I have a new unmounted variable Weaver and several 2x and 4x along with those neat flip over mounts. These early variables had a thingy on the side that you unscrew and make your adjustment.

Have scopes......you will travel. :D ....bring loot-----006
Model A Uzi’s
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have several k-series scopes and have always liked them, especially for vintage rifles such as yours. I never was too impressed with the J-series. You can find quite a few of what you're looking for on ebay.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

K series were all 1" tubes, while J series were all 3/4" tubes. So a K series will give better field of view and work better if light gets low. If you don't mind the lower light level limits of the J series they're still very affordable. Bit finding mounts for the 3/4" tube and your Marlin 88 might be more difficult.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I had the Super 444 Affliction I had two dozen pre 1976 444 levers so I started a quuring period correct Weavers . Had K2.5’s , K3’s , K4’s , KV’s , V4.5 , V7 , V9 and the 2.5-8 that had the adjustment in the rear mount think it was called V8 . Anyway with my high octane 444 cast loads I trashed several variables but never one of the fixed power scopes .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Val it has a built in pinch rail so all I need is rings. I put a weaver k4 on it for now with very period incorrect Warne rings
96679281-794A-4A3B-9320-B08B2E5F1135.jpeg
that’s two six shot groups with CCI standard velocity. The two outlying shots were both first shots for their group when I had to manually Operate the bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too have several old Weaver K 2.5X, most with post reticles. There is even one on my traditional muzzle loader. And one on my Browning High Wall, but the 2.5X on my BLR is a Redfield. The one on the ML is so old there were no caps on the adjustment screws.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:38 am Val it has a built in pinch rail so all I need is rings. I put a weaver k4 on it for now with very period incorrect Warne rings96679281-794A-4A3B-9320-B08B2E5F1135.jpeg that’s two six shot groups with CCI standard velocity. The two outlying shots were both first shots for their group when I had to manually Operate the bolt.
Old Weaver 3/4" rings are pretty easy to find on Ebay. As are J series scopes. Should be able to buy both and maybe even with the rings that are vintage too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I think a j series would look good on there but hard to argue with the k4 results.