Hornady XTP velocity performance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Hornady XTP velocity performance

Post by mickbr »

it has to be said, they are good bullets- but hornadys literature on their minimum expansion and performance estimates vary a lot from reality.

158 grain XTP JHP is listed at performance minimum 700fps, however you wont get expansion starting much below 1000fps.
140grain XTP the same as above.
125 XTP is listed as 800fps minimum- this bullet needs another 250fps to even start expanding , its nose is actually tougher than the 158 grain XTP..

No idea why they underestimate the figures so much. Unless they mean the bullet is still 'performing' even when its doesnt expand... but that seems a little disengenous.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Hornady XTP velocity performance

Post by piller »

What caliber?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

357/38
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I was working up 41 mag loads for deer I contacted them about higher velocities/ concerned the bullets would 'blow up' . Hornady and Speer said the 1800 fps I as getting was too fast. Nosler said yeah good to go. I loaded my hunting Ammo with Nosler 210s.
Now I know that a load starting at 1800 slows down kind of fast and the xtp is probably just fine on deer at 50,75 or 100.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

reminds me on another subject. Does anyone know how the 158 grain XTP Flatpoint does on game. They do the XTP in both HP and FP and I know the HP works well, but not many reports on the flatpoint. Also have seen some suggestions thr FP is a silhoutte bullet only, not really reliable on game at any velocity. which seems strange since hornady does list it as a hunting bullet.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've had really good results with XTPs in calibers from .357 to .458. I've recovered several 200 grain .429s and .452s from deer (sabots in muzzle loader) and all expanded in classic fashion. I load the 125 grain in 38s for my Cobra but doubt they will expand very much out of it.
Forgot to say that I really like their 185 grain .452 in my 45 ACP loads.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

M.M. has reminded me! I used a 300 gr .429 on a pig once- great big cut boar that yielded 222 lbs of meat. Anyhow, out of my Ruger carbine I drilled that pig through the boiler room getting both air bags & pump house. The bullet went clean through but did expand as the off side hole was close to an inch around. Pig didn't react , just kept walking and fell over about 15 yards away.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am When I was working up 41 mag loads for deer I contacted them about higher velocities/ concerned the bullets would 'blow up' . Hornady and Speer said the 1800 fps I as getting was too fast. Nosler said yeah good to go. I loaded my hunting Ammo with Nosler 210s.
Now I know that a load starting at 1800 slows down kind of fast and the xtp is probably just fine on deer at 50,75 or 100.
Good to know. I,m looking to try them in my 40/75 (40-65 clone/.410 bore) for deer.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper