The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Winners Circle

Post by Sixgun »

I've had enough of setting other people up for the win....IM TAKING IT!!!-----

Gunny...your prizes...
They were not picked up in time so I donated them to the soup kitchen.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Woohoo I win an empty box and 2 signs with typos!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I want a real powerful flashlight......like being able to light up the faces of people stealing my neighbors Trump signs.....My 1200 is great but I want to blind em at 125 yards. Those bums got another last night so I went over to my neighbors today and told him I saw them stealing it at 9:30 and shined the light on them but they just grabbed the sign and took off...(he's in bed by then, just like Gunny)

Anyway, with permission from my neighbor, I fixed his sign up good with lots of Never Seize grease.....this stuff dyes your skin gray. Then.....then....after smearing the nasty grease on I sprayed the entire sign with Fox pee........

We were waiting tonight for the stealers to come but they never showed up...figures....but they will in time......they will get that grease all over the steering wheel, door handles, clothes, etc before they catch on.....plus, the stink from the fox pee will make their car smell nice.....hope they are using daddy's BMW.....
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....that black rifle coffee is something.......' me and mom had a cup around 6 and I was still buzzing around till about 10. It's their SS plus I got a bigger box of their AK. This stuff peps me up almost as good as a line of crank.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't put political signs on my vehicles, or in my yard. Just like religion, which is between me and God, my politics is between me and the poll. But, like the oldster couple that parked on my one-lane dirt road... (ok it provides access to the 4 houses on it, so technically it belongs to the 4 of us)... I drove the tractor over, parked where they could easily see the Winch 94 in the rack by the door... and asked what the hell they wanted!

Anyway, after completely stripping all the rusted and worn out parts from my mdl 501 Ford sickle bar mower,
I cleared enough space in the garage so I can get my '65 Ford 3 cyl tractor inside while I complete it's restoration! WooHoo! I found a new radiator surround! A new gas tank cover, some judicious metal work on the hood, a LOT of sanding, new paint and decals... it'll look showroom fresh. Okay, okay... given my talent, from 150 feet away it'll look showroom fresh! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Like they say- putty & paint make it what it ain't. Griff the fact you are willing to keep that ol ford tractor going is good enough, new paint and stickers will only make it look better. Dents & dings give it character. I had a 46 Farmall Cub, originally bought by the town road department. Had a belly mower, York rake, concrete roller, sickle bar,snow plow and a 4x8 trailer. The tractor was rolled at some point( guy got killed) steering column was replaced with a piece of galvanized pipe. The engine finally gave up & was rebuilt, the tin was beat up but it started every time. After paving the driveway those big tires with wheel weights and chains just didn't cut it for snow plowing. After getting my quad the tractor wasn't as useful so I sold it , Craig's list- sold in a matter of hours!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't put signs up either. I know myself, and try and avoid the confrontations.

Good for you Griff!
That's going to be a bigger job than doing my old John Deere 240 was. :D
It will be really nice when its done, though.

We took a ride down to Turner yesterday. There was an RV place that had one of the small teardrop off road campers. We been thinking it would be cool to haul with the Jeep to bird hunt up north. They will take the abuse and follow the Jeep anywhere.
Man! Those babies are pricey! :shock:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So for some unknown reason I was looking up whale oil. I have no idea why but I learned something! It seems not all whale oils are the same BUT sperm whale oil was very highly regarded by gunsmiths for its ability to not dry, didn't absorb water, sticks well, didn't attract dirt and was very influential to the development full auto firearms!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:21 am So for some unknown reason I was looking up whale oil. I have no idea why but I learned something! It seems not all whale oils are the same BUT sperm whale oil was very highly regarded by gunsmiths for its ability to not dry, didn't absorb water, sticks well, didn't attract dirt and was very influential to the development full auto firearms!
There’s a lot of that kind of knowledge that people knew a generation or two ago. I think about that with wood; most of the time I just think of wood as three kinds:

a) Scrappy stuff that you’re going to burn,
b) Big Chunks without knots that you can make stuff out of, and
c) Really Pretty Stuff - burled wood or exotics from other places.

But when you read some of the old books on trees (that aren’t just like the modern field guides for identifying them), the text will describe what kinds of things that particular species is good for or not good for as far as making stuff. There will even be differences among the types of ash or the types of oak, even though to an amateur like me they all seem like you could make the same stuff out of them. But some will be especially good for the bottoms of drawers, or the guide rails, others will be good for different things.
I’m sure it’s the same with different kinds of animal fats.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sperm Whales in the Pacific apparently learned to learned go after the whaling ships themselves rather than the whaling boats and to sink them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My GGGrandfather, his sons & grandsons were whalers in NZ, my maternal Grandmother grew up on their whaling station in the Sounds. They'd row out to Cook Strait and harpoon a whale, tow it back to the whaling station and begin the process to render the blubber into oil. One of Great-granddad's whaling boats is in the museum in Wellington... well, as of 2000 when I last visited.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

What I remember was that the Sperm Whale has some sort of organ in its head that makes and uses a special oil to help it with balance on its extremely deep dives. That is the oil which works so well as gun oil. The body fat is not much different from other whales.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

From what I read the oil from the head was pressed 3 different times. 1st press was at 32F- gave the best oil, 2nd was around 50F - more for lamps and such. 3rd was at 90F and was not as high of quality and used in candles . The left over was spermecittie, went to soap & cosmetic production.

So did ya watch the rally last night? Looks like our President is on a roll and he doesn't look or act sick! His mind is like a steel trap, fast and hard! And he had his rally in my childhood stomping grounds. My grandfathers guns are in the Carson City museum.

Seems I had a b'ar in the area last night/this morning. The girls went bat stuff crazy this morning. As they were growling, huffing & snarling I figured there was no way they were getting outside the fence at 515 AM ! Once I got them settled down and they did what they were supposed to do i happened to notice the neighbors motion lights came on. Couldn't see anything though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, he looks at the top of his game.
Glad you didn't let the girls tangle with a bear. If that is what it was.
D. Brian Casady
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Why are Grandpa’s shooters in a museum?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

He was a Justice of the Peace.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes, MY PRESIDENT is doing fine.....he's gonna win sooooooo big. I don't understand the polls......after the HRC fiasco I said I'd never trust the polls again and I don't......News will tell ya anything to keep the revenue coming in.....

A 'bar??????? As we know, they run from people...(most of the time :D )....but a dog will fight em and get all chewy chewy up...

What kind of guns did great Pops have? ...if you know.....

I'm in a new fetish.....a binary trigger for the Ruger 10-22....gonna call em..----006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Exactly why the girls stayed inside the fence this morning!!

I'm not 100% sure what he had, I do know there is a European made SxS of his there, I think a revolver but I can't be certain. Last time any of this side of the family was out there they inquired about them and were told the guns weren't on display but in storage. Still id like to have em !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I bet I had the most fun today. I spent 6 plus hours in the Emergency Room. Woke up yesterday morning with the room doing flip flops...uh oh! I had not been drinking either! I waited until today and went to the ER. I have a viral inner ear infection causing vertigo. Since it’s viral there isn’t much they can do about the infection but he gave me something for the vertigo and in only 6 hour’s .
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had that a few years ago! I was days of laying in bed, the room spinning out of control! It was very difficult for me to get down the stairs to get the dogs out !!
Speedy recovery my friend !

Just saw Alaska had a 7.5 quake!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh Tom, take care brother! I've had an inner ear infection, apparently was a viral infection, but took several months to clear it out... it's what caused me to have tinnitus in my left ear... and making me slowly go deaf in that ear.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
Hope yer OK bud.....I live with what you briefly had. Did you throw up? Do you think during the worst of it you were able to drive...or walk?

I'm pretty much of an expert on the inner ear and figured out my own temporary remedy after 9 doctors and 3 ENT's just bs'ed me with meds and follow up visits....I can only manage it as there's no cure.....just another reason why I'm a prisioner in my own home.

It's progressed to where I'm deaf in my left ear...maybe 5%...I don't hear anything from the left ear and 40% from the right.

While you may have an infection, there's other factors that may be contributing to higher levels of the symptoms....bad habits such as sodium intake, caffeine, alcohol.

If you so wish give me a call if it continues....maybe we can get it down to tolerable levels if you get more attacks. Doctors don't tell you these things...money is their priority....at least that's what it was in my case.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hope you feel better soon, Tom. Take it easy.

Well, it's starting. They got 6" of snow in Jackman Saturday. Coburn Gore got 9". :shock:
Really hoping we'd get through hunting season without any.

Oh! Thanks for the quake info Gunny.
Texted the kid. They are on tsunami watch.......again.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having had tinnitis all my life, I don't know what it would be like to not have it. Tom, hope you get over the viral infection soon. It is not much fun when you cannot even hang onto the floor without falling off.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an earthquake alert app on my phone- after that 7.5 there was 6 or 8 more aftershocks from a 3.6 to high 5s! I didn't hear anything about an actual tsunami happening?
Did they feel the quake?
We have quakes here everyday! Claro quakes that is. She is an allergy dawg and when she gets to scratching she rattles the rafters! :lol:

Ok, maybe it's not a bear, might be coons or possums. This morning they went nuts again this morning but at the base of a small oak was the point of focus. Well it's probably all of the above trying to get the bird feeder.

Meteor on the way!? Might hit the planet?! Hope it lands on a certain home in San Francisco! Or maybe a mansion or 2 in NYC.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

5.5 will slosh water out of the pool. Thankfully have never been in anything much bigger.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Not sure if they felt it on Kodiak. My kid was out hunting so he headed back, got the kids from daycare on the base, and went home.
His house is hight up so he doesn't have to worry. He said there was maybe a 2 foot wave.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

2 foot heck thats bath tub calm for those waters !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm 2 foot heck thats bath tub calm for those waters !
Haha yeah. That's why they bought a house and moved off base. Every time there was a tsunami warning, they had to evacuate from the base housing.
Big PIA. Especially now with 2 kids. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah between all of your sons toys and the kids toys makes it tough for a fast evac!!

Reminds me of my 1st semester at school, weren't supposed to have guns in our dorm rooms. We had a mole that alerted us to room searches. Half the guys would go get cars & the other half would open the windows and hand stuff out. We could degun in a matter of minutes! Thankfully we were on the 1st floor!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah haha. My roommate and I at tech school had a Smith 629, an M1 carbine, and a 94 carbine in our dorm room. We had a pellet pistol too. We shot the hall window out across from our room with the pellet pistol, so we took the window out and swapped it with one down the hall in the middle of the night.
You know, across from someone's room we didn't like.

When were you at gunsmith school, Gunny?
My roommate and I decided if we didn't get a good job when (if :D ) we graduated, we were going to the gunsmith school you attended.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Was on the 18th floor of the Airport Marriott in LA for one. Building swayed enough to make it hard to walk across the room. You could see transformers popping on poles out the window.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The seismograph at Birmingham University, England kept recording little blips which were unexplainable until they realised Westley Richards gun range was nextdoor, it only happened occasionally when Alf Jones was firing big game rifles..... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

91-94 Jay. Had a heck of a good time there!

Yeah those pachyderm pounders don't just rattle your teeth when they go off!

So I heard from a buddy in NoDak, they were getting snow yesterday. I have a feeling this winter is going to be a doozy. All the smoke in the atmosphere will allow water vapor to collect more.

The neighbor I help is in hospice care now. She called me last evening asking me stop by. She has truly gone through a lot , in & out of the hospital the past 2 years.

Foggy- it's not foggy here it's WET AIR! Holy cow it's just dripping wet this morning.

Well, BRCC Gunship time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oops. Guess I'm old Gunny. :D
We would have gone in 88.

We get a barely perceived shudder here. About every 10 years.

Snow is starting here too. Coburn Gore got 9" Saturday. Jackman and Rangeley 6".
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I didn't go right out of high school, I enrolled at 21, we are about the same age.

I dont mind snow early but not if the leaves are still on the trees- too many big oaks around the house!!

Talked to a friend yesterday, her brother has been applying for a ME moose tag for 31 years and hasn't drawn one yet- i didn't realize a non resident had such a hard time getting tags!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok. I thought we were about the same age.

I hate snow during hunting season........HATE IT!

it isn't THAT hard. That's some bad luck.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

So cool!
A guy I know here in town made the news. He was moose hunting 8 years ago in Brighton, up by my property. He lost his wedding band.
A guy was moose hunting up there this year and found it! :shock:
He posted some pics on FB on the Maine Moose hunting group of the inscription inside. The guy happened to see it and the guy who found it gave it back to him.
He should buy a PowerBall ticket.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just saw on Fox about the wedding band being found.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The wind brings down some big cottonwood limbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hi gents. Well I still feel like Pelosi. The medication makes the vertigo better... the four hours or so a day I can stay awake. Promised the Mrs no knife sharpening or reloading while on this stuff. My plan is to go to bed at 9tonight to get up at 0700 so my head and guts clear up enough to try working( home on computer stuff) tomorrow. Can’t slack off for too long as starting November 11 I start my winter sabbatical. From Nov 10 to January 4,I work 10 days total. Mostly hunting time. Archery for 8 days then a couple days work then two weeks of rifle season then the week between Christmas and New Years. Yeah it’s tough to be me but right now I bet none of y’all would switch places with dopey me. Carry on!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom,Tom, Tom.... you opened a door for us to poke fun at ya but im not gonna do it!
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better!

Last thing today I pop the airhose off the compressor and it blows saw dust into my eyes. With the overly wet air we had the compressor under the saw horses , cutting OSB & that saw dust is hard from all the glue. Left eye is now very irritated- sure hope its not scratched.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 pm The wind brings down some big cottonwood limbs.
"Big Limbs?" OK......6 sent me to give you guys a message.......he's busy splitting wood and don't know when he will be done.....

Tom....is that medicine "meclizine"?....if so, it's near worthless and all it does is make you tired. Don't make matters worse by consuming any more sodium or caffeine than you need...ya got to get that nasty stuff out of your inner ear.

Jay...why do you dislike snow while hunting? It used to put me in the mood.....----JB
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok... here goes.

First, I will say up front, if you hunt by sitting watching a food plot or field, ok. The snow keeps the light later in the day and provides contrast with the deer. That is the only time.

When it snows during hunting season it is 90% of the time wet, heavy snow. As such, it sticks all over the trees, cutting down on the distance you can see but obstructing a clear line of sight.
When trying to move through the woods, all that snow falls on you and your rifle, soaking both.
If your sitting, you won't know if a deer is coming because with the snow on the ground, they are silent. It doesn't really matter because as the day warms, all that snow starts falling of the trees and dripping, soaking you some more. Plus, the snow and damp holds your scent better so the deer probably winded you anyway.
The final insult comes after the day of the snow. After it softens up, that night it freezes, so the next day its like walking in cornflakes magnified x1000. Because its noisy, the deer are smart enough to bed down and not move, because nobody is going to get within a mile of them.

I'm sure I've forgot 10 or 20 more reasons. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Meclizine is the active ingredient in the less drowsy version of Dramamine. The original Dramamine was a great sleep aid.
Those 2 active ingredients help with vertigo. They at least make it so that you can keep from falling off the floor as it spins.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I love to hunt while its snowing, I get into my snow camo and do my famous Indian walk. I know where they are gonna be- in the pines. We would fan out and I'd go sneaking in, sometimes shoot one in its bed, then LOOK OUT! Here comes the buckshot as they scatter and the boys open up!
We had one of those storms years ago with close to 3 feet falling. Too deep to walk but my quad made a great trail past a few stands. Then we went out to sit. Sure enough the deer were on their feet walking the quad trail. Think we got 4 or 5 that day. Of course we can shoot A Lot of brown here!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In the mountains of CA snow made it really easy to track deer. Go out a few days before the season and see where they were migrating down to the lower elevations. Then opening morning move out and settle in before daylight to ambush the critters! Might be why in 10 years of hunting there I collected 3 deer, a 30% success rate, well above the average 7% success statewide back in the 80s.

In south Texas, snow is such an anomaly that in 15 years, I don't think I ever saw it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey JayBird!
Is that ol SixGun still splitting wood?

Back to snow and deer hunting, if it has to snow during the season I'd much prefer just enough to cover the ground, that as we know gives us the advantage of sight. That being said I really enjoy those cold still mornings during our late muzzle loader, when a deer steps out and you thumb the hammer back, take your shot and the wall of smoke just hangs there as you try to see which way the deer runs trying to confirm a hit.

More wet air this morning! Last evening was crystal clear, could actually see some stars.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Occasionally get snow here in the high desert. Rare That we get much but over a ft at times.

shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

I lived in the Victorville from 2003 to 2008. Always seemed like we got a little snow but in 2008 we got quite a lot one storm. No snow in the Valley where I live now but can usually see plenty just up the hill in the Winter.