hey Californians !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

hey Californians !

Post by Grizz »

some info help please.

if a person were perhaps thinking of possibly crossing into and out of the state, what are specific firearm "gotchas" that person should be aware of??

for example, is a 12ga pump with a pistol grip and rifle sights legal?
is a 12ga with rifle sights on it without the pistol grip legal?
is a 20ga break action single shot legal?

how is the firearm legally transported?
how is the ammo legally transported?
if a person loaded a shotgun and kept it in the vehicle while sleeping in the vehicle, is that legal?

curiously, Grizz
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Re: hey Californians !

Post by Yodar »

Hey Brizz,

If I were you, I would stay out of California. I know, i used to live there.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

I live here and can't keep up with the laws.

Not sure about the first shotgun but the last two should be fine. To be safe the guns should be in a case but at the very least the guns and ammo should be stored separately. Sorry but probably not legal to keep your shotgun loaded while in a vehicle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well Grizz....this is what I've learned in life...ALL laws are written in gray.......that means if for some strange reason you get pulled over and it looks like you have more than $20 in your pocket, a decent vehicle, are a male, am white,...well....your going to be guilty of something.......your going to have to remortgage the house......

I live about 10 miles from New Jersey, 20 miles from Maryland and have not stepped foot in either state since the late seventies.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

12 ga with pistol grip is legal as long as the minimum barrel and overall length requirements are met.
Type of sights don't matter.
You're kidding about the singleshot right?

The best way to avoid any issues is to carry a firearm, in a vehicle, is to put it in a locked case. Obviously unloaded. Keep ammo in another compartment.
For example my Jeep gun is in a disassembled, in a locked (cheesy little thing) soft case, behind the passenger seat. The Scrambler cab is like the pickups of old, small but with a bit of space behind the seats. To secure it I have a cable lock that runs through the front of the receiver and out the ejection port. The cable is looped around the roll bar and locked with a good lock.

It's out of site, legally stored, and reasonably theft resistant. I don't leave it in the Jeep unless I'm out and about. But as you know sometimes on trips you want to stop to eat and such.

Oh, I keep the shells in a locked box that's secured in the bed.

All this and then I usually have a 1911 on my hip. But some cops aren't the most up on what the laws say. Oh, and I keep a printed copy of this.
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
in all of my vehicles.

All that being said I've never had an officer even ask if I had any weapons when stopped for a traffic violation (hey we all make mistakes, and it's been a while).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My experiences in California are about the opposite of standard popular opinion on all of these gun sites. I did my main 35 year career in 1965 and retired to Utah in 2005. Perhaps in my case it`s a matter of water seeking it`s own level. Most all I associated with were republican, ex leo and military rednecks. I was able to build up a nice classic gun collection, I had places to shoot, even got involved having to hold people at gun point in of all places down town Los Angeles, was kicked loose and given my gun back, so my experiences doesn't prove out with all the California bashing we read about.
I did see the gun laws change and huge population growth that aggravated me but darn it I had as many fine redneck friends as you guys that live in Georgia too. Truth is most everyone I knew wasn't born in California, we all came from elsewhere to make a easier living.
When people hear "California" they automatically vision LA, Frisco and Dago queers, welfare bums, and far left liberals. I didn't associate with any of that bunch. Trouble is those city's control the other 95% of the state. If you judge a person driving through your bubble by the license plate you just might be a judgmental bigot falling for what other fools publish.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what was that online map that you could click on to see the state's regs. plus the car carry regs for travelers for each state? not in my bookmarks any more. need clear car regs for each state.... like some states without reciprocity laws never the less allow a pistol if it's plainly visible, etc. seems like it's different for every state. any clues?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

You're kidding about the singleshot right?
so, because it's a single shot small bore shotgun, can I carry it on the console with a round in the chamber??

I'm not kidding about any of this. I get compliant with each state I travel in when I enter the state... which is why I'd like to know what the fine print is from someone who has that info.

thanks in advance Y'All
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were asking if those three options were legal to own. The website explains carrying. I just told you how I do it.

Lord knows there are tons of other laws. But transporting an otherwise legal firearm is pretty simple. You do not have to worry about local requirements. State law preempts local law, although a few places like San Francisco (under Feinstein) tried to go their own way or Los Angeles that tried to put size limits on firearms.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One thing I do know, that if you don't have a CA carry permit, it's illegal to carry any loaded firearm in a vehicle. Law I read before my road trip earlier this summer was firearms had to be unloaded and in a locked case, separated from ammo in a different case. Even unloaded not in a locked case is illegal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks guys. does anyone have the site that tells what the regs are for car carry for states with no reciprocity?

i haven't found the site yet. going to try checking some older compluters, might have a bookmark on one of them.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you are going through Texas, there is not much to worry about. We allow loaded firearms when travelling. I cannot give you information about other states.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

If you are n CA, no matter how long, you are subject to CA laws. I live in So. Coastal Oregon and to get to most of the towns east of here one must travel through CA for about an hour. Most folks, and gun shops here know that CA doesn't recognize OR concealed carry permits. The legal way to go inland from So Oregon is to stop at the CA border, unload the carry weapon, lock it in the trunk of your car and proceed. An hour or so later when the Oregon border is crossed, the weapon can be loaded and reholstered...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

YUP. That's what I do. Exactly. Other states have different laws concerning how the gun is transported when traveling. In one state, I forget which one, you carry the gun in plain sight. I put it into a box built on to the dash. The issue there is that I can't carry it concealed on my person, but I can open carry in that state. It goes on a state by state basis. California is one of the most marxist states anywhere on the north or south america continents.