Crossed over to the dark side !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Crossed over to the dark side !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay I crossed over to the dark side today . Inituially pun not intended but if you interpet that way who I am to argue the point LOL's !

By my initial remark I meant I'm no advocate of the 9mm but I think this should be better for the wife over my 45's and 10mm .

I bought a Kimber 1911 5 inch in 9mm . It's supposedly some kinda special run thing they made last year . Has a lighter alloy frame yadda yadda yadda but it was only about $100-150 more than an Armsco RI 1911 in 9mm so I think this one just might hold a better used resale value . This thing is called a "Kimber Custom LW Nightstar 1911" for what thats worth . I've already got a 6 cavity 124 grain Lee gang mold and seems to me I have a used Lee 1000 press amongst all my junk with conversion stuff for 9mm . And of course I have plenty primers and suitable powders . All I need are 1000-2000 pieces of brass .
Kimber 1911 9mm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Crossed over to the dark side !

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice looking pistol! I've been back in 1911 mode lately, thinking a National Match in 9mm to go with my .45 would make a nice pair.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I think you did good. Of course I immediately thought you meant black powder.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 pm I think you did good. Of course I immediately thought you meant black powder.
I thought he went dumbocrat ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've timed myself, and I'm about 50% faster double or triple-tapping with a 9mm 1911 versus 45 ACP 1911. Mine are both double-stacks, so basically 14 rounds versus 16, so no huge round-count advantage, but unless or until I can shoot as fast with the 45 ACP, I'll take the 9mm. My 1911 9mm is a Rock Island with the extra 22 TCM barrel, but I've put more rounds through my Taurus PT-92 'Beretta 92 with a 1911-style safety, clone' so it is my current CCW.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The 9mm is a decent round no doubt . But when mention is made of a 9 the first vision that pops in my mind is some hood rat in super baggy clothes holding the gun sideways with one hand and holding his junk with the other . I had a Sig P-226 in 9mm about thirty years ago . That was during my Sig Sauer phase . At that time I had the 226 in 9mm a 229 in 40 S&W and a pair of 220’s in 45 . The 40 in my hands then was the most accurate , but the two 45’s ran a close second and third with the 226 coming in last . However they all shot more than well enough for self defense home applications .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that term..."hood rat". :D when you get time read up on that 124 gr TC Lee bullet...invented by the Germans....was supposedly very lethal to the point where they were outlawed......at least that's what I read....---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my .40 S&W for a bunch of things. With it being full size, it is not as concealable as a couple of my 9mm handguns. All of my semiauto handguns are black.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The 9mm 1911 is said to be a very accurate piece, don't sell it short. If I were to get another 9mm that's what I'd go for.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:43 pm I like that term..."hood rat". :D when you get time read up on that 124 gr TC Lee bullet...invented by the Germans....was supposedly very lethal to the point where they were outlawed......at least that's what I read....---6
I acquired a six cavity Lee 124 TC mold a week or so ago initially for the 38 Super I didn't get so it oughtta work alright for this 9mm .

I've been cranking out shotgun shells for a couple weeks now on monday tuesday thursday friday and a saturday or two . Working on the 12 gauge stuff this week . Then all ive got left to do is 1000-1500 410's and of course my 8 gauge stuff but thats usually 25-40 at a time . Anyway once I'm done with the shotgun stuff I'll get the old Lee 1000 changed over to 9mm . Hopefully by that time I'll have cast 1000 or so of the Lee 124 TC's .

I've got a used RCBS progressive I bought off somebody that at this point looks as if it'll be set up exclusively for 30 Carbine but of course thats after I get the 9mm taken care of and by then I might need to load some more 45 and 10mm .

It's a never ending battle LOL's :roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope this coming hunting season is fun and safe for all. Sounds as if 6pt-Sika is going to be ready to hunt everything.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:29 am Hope this coming hunting season is fun and safe for all. Sounds as if 6pt-Sika is going to be ready to hunt everything.
Question is going to be if I have enough energy to pursue all I want during the seasons :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:43 pm I like that term..."hood rat". :D when you get time read up on that 124 gr TC Lee bullet...invented by the Germans....was supposedly very lethal to the point where they were outlawed......at least that's what I read....---6
That Lee mold you mention I ordered one when I thought I had a 38 Super coming . But today I put a second in my Midway order so we got free shipping . So using two of those bad boys at once the little lead bullets should pile up quickly . I’m gonna try some unsized as you mentioned with Lee liquid Alex and then I’ll try some sized at .356” with stick lube . I can’t say I’m a fan of the liquid slow on the nose , but if I tumble lube unsized that’s the way to go . And some might say wipe it off the nose but that kills the time savings factor .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm
That Lee mold you mention I ordered one when I thought I had a 38 Super coming . But today I put a second in my Midway order so we got free shipping . So using two of those bad boys at once the little lead bullets should pile up quickly . I’m gonna try some unsized as you mentioned with Lee liquid Alex and then I’ll try some sized at .356” with stick lube . I can’t say I’m a fan of the liquid slow on the nose , but if I tumble lube unsized that’s the way to go . And some might say wipe it off the nose but that kills the time savings factor .
6 PT.....good move on the two moulds.....you'll be cranking those babies out like a factory.....just be careful with the spruce plate on the six cavities.....if the lead gets too cold after pouring it's a bummer opening it up. I broke the spruce plate thingy on mine one time before I learned my lesson.....

You and I know the difference between plinking and going to the Olympics as in accuracy........unsized they shot great out of the Uzi, a Smith 59 and a Smith M&P..........I started sizing them for the two Smith auto's only because I sometimes carry those two guns in defense of Hoodrats and other low life anglos. While I never professionally benchrested any of those nines for accuracy to see if there was a difference between Alox or sizing I never could see it as they all easily hit or nearly hit the 7" 100 meter gong or the 10" 200 meter gong......off the bench mind you.......the Uzi hit the gongs every time......

As for the alox I warmed up the bottle with hot water and just a few squeezes on around 3-400 bullets at a time in a big plastic butter dish........spun them around some and dumped em on a big piece of cardboard to let em dry........it's not rocket science. :D

9mm brass is so cheap I don't look for it after shooting......I just pick up the ducks and to hell with the rest.....I do the same with .223 brass.

That Lee bullet is also bevel based......I open the neck just enough to take the bullet and ram em home....about 400 an hour....I use bullseye, unique or my favorite Herco.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm
6 PT.....good move on the two moulds.....you'll be cranking those babies out like a factory.....just be careful with the spruce plate on the six cavities.....if the lead gets too cold after pouring it's a bummer opening it up. I broke the spruce plate thingy on mine one time before I learned my lesson.....

You and I know the difference between plinking and going to the Olympics as in accuracy........unsized they shot great out of the Uzi, a Smith 59 and a Smith M&P..........I started sizing them for the two Smith auto's only because I sometimes carry those two guns in defense of Hoodrats and other low life anglos. While I never professionally benchrested any of those nines for accuracy to see if there was a difference between Alox or sizing I never could see it as they all easily hit or nearly hit the 7" 100 meter gong or the 10" 200 meter gong......off the bench mind you.......the Uzi hit the gongs every time......

As for the alox I warmed up the bottle with hot water and just a few squeezes on around 3-400 bullets at a time in a big plastic butter dish........spun them around some and dumped em on a big piece of cardboard to let em dry........it's not rocket science. :D

9mm brass is so cheap I don't look for it after shooting......I just pick up the ducks and to hell with the rest.....I do the same with .223 brass.

That Lee bullet is also bevel based......I open the neck just enough to take the bullet and ram em home....about 400 an hour....I use bullseye, unique or my favorite Herco.-----6
Well now I have over twenty pounds of Uniqie and several of Herco but haven’t had any Bullseye in a number of years . Might have to get a four pounder . As to brass I’ve got a bid in on 5,000 pieces that have been cleaned sized etc . Looked amongst all my stuff and found a thousand or two primers . So I should be good for awhile .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My “In da hood special” arrived today !
918279B4-1646-4157-9CA2-B666DED6D622.jpeg
FCA021B5-0598-4CE2-97E3-14D255835D26.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Finally got around to shooting the Boss’s new 1911 . I was going to shoot five stand/skeet last night so I went to the range two hours early . First I did the final load work with the Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 6.5x54 MS and then I sighted in the new to me Marlin 444P with 300 grain cast and my MM 432-365GC that’s kind of a derivative of the RD design . Also tried three factory slug brands in my nicer Parker VH 16 gauge 30” gun . After I got finished at the bench I went to the pistol range and put fifty rounds of Armsco hardball thru the 1911 from fifteen yards rapid fire . Personally I think the target could be better , but just the same if it were an intruder they’d be bleeding profusely !
134B5B61-9084-400F-8F90-3400C513864B.jpeg
0FCA431A-48C9-4076-92D7-3BD687FAFF82.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

In the Parker I shot Winchester , Remington and Brenneke slugs . Two from each barrel of each brand .
391C9ECB-9F43-4111-BA8D-CF84241A17D4.jpeg
E5DBB52A-3354-4642-BF1D-30F376EE7FE8.jpeg
67DD37A7-7563-4590-9319-77012D4B6FA1.jpeg
E17842E2-31B7-4933-919A-014916AEAF2B.jpeg
38E23A8A-EC8D-42CC-8DA8-7B5CC9E550FA.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The left barrel seems to have a taste for slugs but not the right barrel :?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unlike some people, I've got nothing against the 9mm and find it to be a pretty good cartridge. I love my .45's, but never saw any reason to own a .40 S&W or 10mm. But being a S&W fan, I've always thought the old Model 59 was one of the finest 9mm handguns ever built, and I love mine. Just feels perfect in my big hands.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm Unlike some people, I've got nothing against the 9mm and find it to be a pretty good cartridge. I love my .45's, but never saw any reason to own a .40 S&W or 10mm. But being a S&W fan, I've always thought the old Model 59 was one of the finest 9mm handguns ever built, and I love mine. Just feels perfect in my big hands.
The 10mm I like quite a bit at the moment . I had a 40 for awhile in a Sig P229 when it first hit the market in 1990 or so and shot it very well . The 10mm is kinda with me simply because I wanna kill a deer with it . The 45 ACP I have in multiples so it goes without saying . I will say the 9 is hands down easier to control hence the reason the boss liked it when she shot one at the Armsco range a couple years ago . I’ve been loading shotgun shells at the shop for almost three months now (some days are more productive than others based on visitors) , but I’m close to being done with 12 gauge stuff and then will load maybe 2,000 410’s . After I’m done with the 410 stuff I’ll bring the Lee 1000 out and change it over to 9mm . Think I’ve got a touch over 3,000 small pistol primers , with a possible 2,000 more on the way .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! If it was 30 years ago, I'd never do it. Now, however, I have no problem with carrying a 9mm and do it quite often.
If you can practice more with cheaper ammo (excluding the recent unpleasantness), and as such shoot better and faster, you are better armed with the 9mm.
Been thinking of a 1911 in 9mm myself.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm Nice! If it was 30 years ago, I'd never do it. Now, however, I have no problem with carrying a 9mm and do it quite often.
If you can practice more with cheaper ammo (excluding the recent unpleasantness), and as such shoot better and faster, you are better armed with the 9mm.
I can't see myself as a convert to the 9mm , not saying you're incorrect I just can't see itfor myself I'm morea died in the wool 45er .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 am
OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm Nice! If it was 30 years ago, I'd never do it. Now, however, I have no problem with carrying a 9mm and do it quite often.
I can't see myself as a convert to the 9mm , not saying you're incorrect I just can't see itfor myself I'm morea died in the wool 45er .
No, I understand. I have 6 1911s I think. They are all 45. It is still my favorite semi auto pistol cartridge by far.
The 9mm is ok, but it is much more dependent on ammo type.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I am good on .45 ACP handguns also, so wouldn't consider one unless it was so dirt cheap I couldn't walk away. I like the 9mm in a compact semiauto for carry, but it's tough not to want to have other 9mm's for me once you're setup to own and load for one. And I like the fact (pre covid scare) I could buy loaded 9mm cheaply, and plentifully. So I often got lazy about reloading for it, and just bought it cheap at $5-$6 a box locally. Sometimes buying it in 500-1000 rd. bulk to get the lower price.

Wish I could find somebody who needed small pistol or rifle primers, and would trade me some large rifle primers in exchange! I must have 10,000 of each small rifle and pistol primers, but nearly out of the large rifle primers I use so many of!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m finding myself wanting a Kimber or Colt 1911 in 38 Super dunno why just do . And last but certainly not least a Colt 1911 GC NM Mid Range in 38 Special .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I swapped a friend 2,000 WIN 209’s for 2,000 SP primers yesterday .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I went over to the dark-side back in 2008 when my Agency transitioned away from the the .40 short-and-weak, I carry a Glock 17/26 Gen5 in 9mm...the dark-side is good medicine against societal evil... :)
Glock-17-Gen-5_2.jpg
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Is it more accurate when held sideways? You know 9mm is the choice of gangsta's and must be held so that that gold front tooth can be seen by the person you are shooting.
D. Brian Casady