Browning BLR long action anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Browning BLR long action anyone?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had a project simmering in the back of my knotted noggin: rebarreling a BLR in .30-06 to 9,3X62, Anyone have much experience with the long-action BLRs? Looks like they are mostly available these days in the lightweight aluminum receiver versions. Are they durable and accurate?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning BLR long action anyone?

Post by GunnyMack »

I just read an article where a guy took a Remington 7600, rebarreled it to .375 and used the 9.3x62 blown out to .375. This guy then took it to Africa. He took a lion, a tuskless cull elephant and other animals. Go big or go home!

As long as you stay within pressure limits of say 30-06 the action should stand up to what you want to do. Although I don't know the BLR I do know a guy that uses one in the .323 short mag ( forget what it's called) as his bear guide gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, I just found some older threads on this topic, and it seems barrelling the BLR is pretty complicated and expensive. Might be a better idea to rebarrel or rebore a Winchester Model 95 in .30-06.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It because the bolt locking lugs fit into cut-outs in the steel barrel itself. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I heard that you had given up on Euro Trash caliber rifles.

It may be good therapy to ask yourself "why do I want to do this" about 1000 times before you mess up a good 1895.

Seriously, what is our objective?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You might be able to track down a used BLR in 325 WSM or they still make the long action in 450 Marlin I believe. Much easier to do. Just a thought. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

These guys do the BLR in 375 Ruger, which I have in a Patriot and like a lot - from 375 H&H down to 375 Win - but I have to ask why 9.3x62 rather than say, 35 Brown-Whelen (for the shoulder)?

https://www.ariaballisticengineering.com/services1

9.3 x62 has pretty impressive ballistics and terminal performance but so does the 35 Whelen, for which there are an awful lot of components available. Either way, an impressive lever gun for sure! Cool project.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

CRS, ya mean I shoulda stuck with an 1895 in .405? :lol:
That said, the 9.3X62 is a much flatter shooting cartridge, relatively speaking ...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm very much with DocRock on this one. I have the same company doing a conversion to 416/284 McPherson on a late model Winchester '88. Things very much held up now, but hoping for the best. They have my rifle, and McPherson reamers. Just waiting to hear back from them. Times not so easy right now. That Euro cartridge mentioned is sort of not worth the money of converting???? I mean at all???? And technically speaking, would the 375 Holland and Holland and everything that came after it not be considered "Euro trash" as it was invented by H&H by a British company back in 1912??? Poster made me think about that! First chambered in a British gun, 1926. First chambered in an American gun, the legendary Winchester Model 70 bolt action in 1937? I'm not a big fan of the Euro cartridges for the most part. I'm not. Made me laugh. Better cartridges available in the BLR, maybe posthumously and used or even currently. You might get away with a 338 Win Mag in a BLR, maybe. The advice given about adhering to 30-06 pressures not bad advice at all. Worth all the money to experiment? Probably not.

-Tutt

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

what about reboring a 270 or 30-06 BLR? Seems like a fine efficient cartridge for standard long actions. Uses a lot of powders appropriate for 308 and can be formed from 30-06 brass. Has bullets available that are heavier than those in 35 and a sleek 250 grain Accubond.

I have a customized Sako in 25-06 than I've been considering having rebored. I'm torn between 338-06 and 9.3x62. I can't see anything the 35 Whelan does that these two cant do as well or better, except shoot pistol bullets which doesn't appeal to me.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They made the BLR in all of the WSM cartridges so my vote would be to find one in good shape that was a 325 WSM . I messed with that cartridge a bit and actually liked it . The 8mm bullet selection isn’t great but I think that Nosler 200 partition would get the job done .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have a fondness for the 9,3X62, which was introduced n 1905 and has slain every animal that ever walked, delivering close to 4,000 foot-pounds of energy without a lot of fuss and bother. I took a CZ 550 in this chambering to Namibia in 2007; my PH carried the very same rifle in the very same caliber. I gave him a box of Barnes .366 250-grain Triple Shocks as part of his tip and he was over the moon.
I must be a sucker for Eurotrash, as I am a fan of the 7X57 Mauser and the 6.5 Swede.
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

I RUINED a browning 1895 30-06 by cutting the barrel down to 21" and boring it to 35 Whelen. I would rather hunt with it than any rifle I own. I am not getting rid of the rifle until after I am dead and I won't care who thinks I ruined a rifle. Life is to short, and if that's the rifle you want, get it built.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Joe, thanks for sharing your "regrettable" experience! :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 am I have a fondness for the 9,3X62, which was introduced n 1905 and has slain every animal that ever walked, delivering close to 4,000 foot-pounds of energy without a lot of fuss and bother. I took a CZ 550 in this chambering to Namibia in 2007; my PH carried the very same rifle in the very same caliber. I gave him a box of Barnes .366 250-grain Triple Shocks as part of his tip and he was over the moon.
I must be a sucker for Eurotrash, as I am a fan of the 7X57 Mauser and the 6.5 Swede.
I’ve got a 7x57 and a cover of 6.5x55’s as well as a pair of 6.5x54 MS rifles and I’ve been looking casually for a CZ 550 FS to match the 550 FS 6.5x55 I have . But all those rifle are bolt actions .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I don't judge a cartridge by the country of its origin, I judge it on ballistics and its secondary characteristics. The CZ 550 is one Heck of a rifle, and what my 375 H&H Ackley Improved runs on with a lengthened chamber since the magazine on that thing is extra long. I can shoot a 350 grain bullet with a ridiculous BC of .7 plus at just under 2500 fps. If you want a dandy platform to build on, that would certainly be a good one. Mine had some upgrades but is one of the most successful custom guns I have had made. I'm not such a big fan of the 9.3 x 62 as its "almost" as good at the legendary 375 H&H, much less so than the A.I. version. I do own a nice Enfield in 303 Brit and of course my 11mm 71/84 Mauser. Do what makes you happy, but it really does seem modifying a BLR has a host of additional problems. Not sure of the barrel boring thing. If you have to modify the chamber, not sure how that will affect the cut-outs for the locking lugs? Its all good, interesting discussion! -Tutt

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Don't worry boys. I am already coming to my senses on this deal. Almost ashamed I have an AR upper in ... 6.5 Grendel ...... :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Funny guy! 6.5 Grendel widely respected cartridge on that platform by Alexander Arms. Its not European. Its American created. LOL As to the other idea, you were just fishing and thinking out loud with a cartridge that you have experience with in Africa it sounds like? Understandable. If you want to start making custom BLR's I would contact A.B.E. (that's Aria Ballistic Engineering). Jason, the owner is a total magnum fiend, and well worth talking to what he and his company can do, including on a BLR. Used to be some other company's out there to work on BLR's. Not sure anymore.

Stay safe!

-Tutt

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

JES reboring offers 9.3x62. Why not ask if a rebore is feasible on a '06 or 270 BLR? Us gun people sometimes just want what we want.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you want it, I sure won't try to talk you out of it. Have fun with it. Besides, CRS is just jealous that his double rifle in .405 has such anemic ballistics. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill,
By the time you get done fooling around and goofin' up a '95 you could have bought a Sako in 9.3! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, the nutty thing about all this is that I have a very nice Ruger No. 1 in 9,3X74 in the gun safe. Just thought it would be a fun project, but did not realize the complications and expense. The 9.3X62 is just a smidge better than the .35 Whelen, but the .35 Whelen is a hell of a cartridge on its own merits.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Picking a custom rifle conversion is sort of like picking a bride. Does she "check all your boxes" for what you want?

Is she worth the dowry? Its a very personal decision. I respect that. That Ruger #1 is probably pretty rare in that caliber, they chamber those rifles in everything at one point or another, but for only a short run of it. Better hold on to it.

Second what Jason said, already done for you, but its a bolt action I believe. Getting one in a levergun? That's going to be tough. I think the only options strong enough are the Win '88 and the BLR. The BLR is more complicated I believe but contact ABE or another company that can do BLR's. I think ABE would steer you to something else, not sure another company with BLR experience.

Not sure how much money you got.

Regards, -Tutt

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tutt, being retired on Social Security, I "ain't got no money." :lol: :cry:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Whelp, I just spent the most money I have ever spend on my first, yes, your reading that right, shotgun. Its an Ithaca 37 Los Angeles commemorative edition with 2 barrels, case, paper work, and original cardboard box. Made by Ithaca back in '81, as good as it gets. Only made 1300 of them or so according to NRA Museum. They only come up for sale once a year, maybe. This one was two shot guns in one, one for trap and skeet, another for home defense. Was worth it to me. Waiting to receive it. I can add a rifled barrel, would be 3 shotguns in one, no problem. -Tutt

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Those 37s are slick, an evolution of the Remington Model 1917 20 gauge.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never handled one, but the Ithaca shotguns have a good reputation. Hope you enjoy it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will report back later. In Commiefornia it takes weeks to take a gun home and shoot it!!!! That being said, lots of gun stuff is becoming very rare here in Commiefornia. So I'm getting ready for "hard times". -Tutt

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill, money only matters once. When you hafta give up for a rifle you really want. Better to soon, than procrastinating too much. I like the looks of 95' better than Savage 99's but they do not fit me.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!