BANDITS!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

BANDITS!

Post by JimT »

Been having bandit problems so we set out some traps and got these 2.
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
The game camera shows a family of 8 or 9 that been coming in every night. I made my shotgun into a Tactical Shotgun and set out til I got tired. The camera showed they came in about an hour after I went to bed.

I didn't have a light on my shotgun so I made a countryboy attachment.
IMG_1387.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BANDITS!

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I was up all night with a litter of puppies being born. At one point I went into the kitchen and heard my bird feeders cable bouncing around, flipped on the outside lights and a very large raccoon was upside down going across the cable hand over hand. Well I set a snare in the tree it used to get on the cable, next morning I had a rather irate 20lbs of angry hanging- my snare loop was too big and he was caught around the middle. A 22CB finished that raiding rascal!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I keep a coon free environment.... last year caught 37 in my driveway...at 5 this year... there's no end to them...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

All I ever have are a few rats and possums raiding my persimmon tree. Super Colibri and a lever action .22 gets the job done.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

gcs wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:47 am I keep a coon free environment.... last year caught 37 in my driveway...at 5 this year... there's no end to them...
sounds like my squirrel problem!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

After waiting until dusk a few times, getting skeeter-bit, and then having a hard time seeing what I was shooting at (before I 'invented' my 'Night-Scout' leverguns), I realized (thanks to a friend who is a veterinarian) that all I needed to do was set a 'Have-A-Hart' trap (making sure I didn't kill an 'innocent' critter), and then humanely execute the predator in the morning. Not sure that's the goal the Have-A-Hart people had when marketing their trap, but it works...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Coons are really thick this year. Neighbor stopped to visit yesterday and said he had a bunch and had trapped several. One of my apple trees looked to be wearing a fur coat about a month ago. Between them and the deer, I got none.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

We have the occasional one or two. But the coyotes tend to keep them in check. Problem here is that the coyotes keep breeding and then they run out of wild critters to eat. They then start taking domestic animals. I do my best to keep the coyotes in check, but we have folks here who feed them and scream bloody murder if you catch and kill them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice flashlight fix! But they do make black duct tape.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

1960 I worked in Yosemite and lived in a tent cabin at Wawona. I had a bunch of them that camped under the raised wood floor. Cute little buggers. Gad! Thats 60 years ago! I am getting old.
When I was a kid a woman that ran a bar would occasionally have a "Coon feed". People started missing their cats! Dont know what happened to her.
Buddy of mine was raised down south. He said there was a old black man that would buy racoons from him but made him leave one paw unskinned. Told him some white boy sold him some cats and now he insisted they leave a leg unskun.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 pm Nice flashlight fix! But they do make black duct tape.... :mrgreen:
It's what was at hand. You just make do.
:)
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Fur bearer populations used to rise and fall with the fickleness of the fashion industry.
Political correctness seems to have upset the balance of nature.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:44 pmAfter waiting until dusk a few times, getting skeeter-bit, and then having a hard time seeing what I was shooting at (before I 'invented' my 'Night-Scout' leverguns), I realized (thanks to a friend who is a veterinarian) that all I needed to do was set a 'Have-A-Hart' trap (making sure I didn't kill an 'innocent' critter), and then humanely execute the predator in the morning. Not sure that's the goal the Have-A-Hart people had when marketing their trap, but it works...!
Works great... a little peanut butter in a bowl... executions in the am!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll admit to liking the rascals, except when they are stripping the plum trees or choking one of the banties through the chickenwire ...
They are smart, clever and work hard to make a living. But then I feel the same about coyotes ... :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm We have the occasional one or two. But the coyotes tend to keep them in check. Problem here is that the coyotes keep breeding and then they run out of wild critters to eat. They then start taking domestic animals. I do my best to keep the coyotes in check, but we have folks here who feed them and scream bloody murder if you catch and kill them.
My son is on the local PD here. He called in the game wardens because a woman was feeding cats because raccoons were also taking part in the feast. It's against the law to feed wildlife here. Check the laws in your state.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.