The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

I tell ya.....Old Savage is quite the host.......I always looked at food and entertaining as the bottom of my priority list.....let's shoot, tell lies, and drink 50 beers and call it a day....

Absolutely.....never trust anyone but well known people to turn wrenches on my stuff. You guys read my story on the brake pads...people will screw you over if they think they can.......not many people know anything about fixin stuff today and mechanics take advantage of this........I caught that last piece of garbage dead in the act and he was surprised that I knew as much as I did.........I DIDNT GET THIS KNOWELDGE ABOUT NASTY MECHANICS OFF THE INTERNET....IT WAS A LIFETIME OF EXPERIENCE......people will screw ya over and laugh about it........

I'd trust a dealership 50 times over the local mechanic....unless I knew him and his reputation. I've gained enough knowledge on most everything in life to know when someone is screwing me over.....from cars to tractors to guns to electrical work to plumbing to carpentry to trees to mud to firewood to .........

A Jack of all trades but a master of none..except antique guns.

One time about 30 years ago this guy was advertising firewood cheap so I called him and ordered 4 cords......he had it all in a pick up truck. :D .....then went to charge me whatever it was......I laughed telling him I'd pay for a full cord.....

Yea...most people are no good.......

You boys have a blast and have a cold Coors on me.....(just send me the bill)------ :D ---6
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't pay no attention to that attention seeker above me......bad hombre......wins the page and the next thing you know he will be trying to sell you used brake pads and offer to put them on for $400 an axle.....---The REAL 6....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Q-So if you order IPE 1x4 T&G to cover X amount of footage by what the sales guy says, 3&1/8 showing , and you get 2&15/16 showing how many boards are you going to be short ?

So I noticed an odd noise in my truck yesterday. Leaving the job today I rolled the window down and pushed on the brake pedal, yup I can hear crunchy noise again. Sounds like the rears. 58,000 miles on em...

A- TOO MANY !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok....tongue and groove one by foe. I'd say you will need a used tractor tire, two old fans and a box of bent nails...along with a skyhook and a left handed monkey wrench to finish the job. Am I close?

WHY did you let the pads get down to scrunching size? Now you get your backside to bed..NOW!

Bring the truck over ....I have some used pads that we can get on there somehow....only $400 an axle!!! After the job is done I'll sell you the Brooklyn bridge...be American!!

Another solid week of high humidity, thunder storms, and heat.

Watching Wagon Train...lots of nice single actions
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Its a diesel! I can't hear anything especially with the exhaust dumping out right behind the cab !! Plus the radio is always on. I've probably wrecked the rotors at this rate...
Itll probably cost me about 400 sheckles.
I'll send you directions and you can come do the brake job while I'm working. :D

I can't complain, 58,000 miles on a set of pads - on a 9000 lbs truck at that !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

58K is excellent...like super excellent.....I've seen those pads for heavy diesel trucks......like 3 times the size of the pipsqueaks I have.....

Your rotors are not cheap like mine are...I can get new ones for like $40 or so......do you have to remove the axle nuts to get to the rotors? .....my old 3/4 ton Ford was like that but with drums.....PITA to check breaks......

I have no idea how I lived without AC growing up or for the first 10 years or so living here and even when I finally did get it, it was only a 5k window unit....

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No drums here, 4 wheel disk. I'm not sure ,as I haven't done the rears yet. My neighbor buddy is a retired mechanic, he still gets parts wholesale so I don't pay retail. I'll pull the wheels off tomorrow and see what's involved. Sure hope the rotors aren't shot!

Yes! How did we survive without AC?

Had some rain over night, still some showers this morning. Gotta use up the rest of this Ipe decking, then make the rest of what we need to finish the last couple feet. Then we are going to start the framing the roof before tearing out 2 big box bay windows and the front door. Since the door has yet to be picked out/ ordered that will be awhile yet.

I've been looking at the Airforce Texan big bore air guns, about a grand for the gun, only problem is the special compressor, half agin more than the cost of the gun... on the back burner now as I have a line on a Perazzi with blown barrels. If I can get it cheap I'll get it rebarreled or a new set of barrels.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Normally on pickups to remove the rotors you have to remove caliper bolts and caliper then caliper bracket bolts and caliper bracket. Some people remove as one unit but I separate them because you have to hang the caliper to not stretch the brake hoses and its a lot easier with just the caliper AND it gives you a chance to check and lubricate the caliper slider pins. These should be lubed every chance you get. The caliper bracket bolts need to really be torqued on there.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I did a thorough lookyloo and the pads appears to have quite a bit of meat left on them but I did notice a large rust ring close to the hub and I believe that is rubbing on the edge of the pad. Gotta take the wheels off to be sure.

Yes on hanging the calipers, especially if you have soft brake lines. Unbeknownst to me when I changed the fronts that the soft lines degrade internally and when ya bend them the rubber gets into the caliper and the get stuck and ya wreck the pads and rotor.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just another thought Gunny.....brake pads can wear on the edge so that means the rest of the pad may look fine but the corner will be worn down and touching.....that was my last experience although mine were still an 1/8" from touching on the end.

Even if a rotor has slight scratches...NO Big deal.....if it's really tore up, yea, replace...if it's just a couple of scores, jack up the rear end, take the wheels off, turn on your truck, put it in gear, let's the wheels spin while your holding sandpaper against the rotor. Yep! I'm a redneck.--6
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup rotors look good, one side has a few ridges other is smooth.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Did ya check the guide pins?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I haven't pulled the wheels yet, waiting for you to come over and do the brake job ! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Why haven't you pulled the wheels yet? Busy pulling something else?

Anyone who has the mechanical smarts to be a gunsmith can make short work of a brake job that even a retart like me can do.

On another note, even though it's not as hot the humidity is through the roof......last night we had a burst of wind come through and knocked over Mom's tomato plants AND the outside table that weighs at least 200 pounds....the sun umbrella was through the middle and of course I was stupid.....I keep a hose clamp to prevent the umbrella from flying out and destroying a $1,000 window so it must have lifted the table up....everything is fine...one strong umbrella.

I feel like Pelosi.....zero energy............negative Six
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Aunti Em its a twister, There's no place like home.

I got some errands to run in the morning, then I'm gonna pull the wheels and see whats going on. Of course its Saturday, Napa probably won't have the pads in stock...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am glad I have both a pneumatic and an electric impact tool. Trying to do it manually like I did when I was 40 and younger has become a real chore. I have had an inside job for too long.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:06 pm I am glad I have both a pneumatic and an electric impact tool. Trying to do it manually like I did when I was 40 and younger has become a real chore. I have had an inside job for too long.
You got that right Piller.......quality air tools are the way to go.....forgot how many are around here..1/4",3/8",1/2" drives ....1/2" impact, air drill, air chisel and a million attachments to go with em.....four quality floor jacks....all kinds of stuff to make regular jobs easy...don't do nothing complicated anymore like rebuilding engines, pulling trans, rears.all that stuff...had enough of it.

Let me tell you about the $600 Snap On floor jack I have.....LOVE THIS STORY!!!.....the year was 1997 and for one reason or another I was in Chester, Pa......BAD HOOD RAT town..daily shootings..you get it.........I stopped in a pawn shop ...always looking for guns........and on the floor was this BRAND NEW Snap On floor jack.....with a price tag of $39.99.!!!! My inner dialog is telling me these bro's running the place are either the stupidest people on earth or the jack is a fake.......looked it over real good...real deal.....at the time it was an easy $450-$500 jack.......top of the line..........so I ask the counter "bro"...."Is this the right price, $39.99?".......He says, "yep, it's broken.....nobody can get it to work...been sitting here 6 months."

I gave him two Jacksons and wheeled it out.......heavy bugger......got it out to the Jeep and turned the handle clockwise..... :D

I love that story.....almost as good as the 99% like new color case hardened Marlin model 36 ...made in 1936....that I gave the same place $100 for and sold it a month later for a grand....they thought someone messed with the finish with all those ugly colors on it.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Whoo! Just sat in my chair out in the garage and cracked a cold beer.
Got home from work this morning, took a two hour power nap, cranked up the Harley and rode 170 miles. I got home and wolfed down some chili, then took another short bike ride. When I got home I cranked up the old John Deere and mowed.
Nice day. No humidity and not too hot.

Last night I got up at 10 to get ready for work as usual. Took a shower and while I was in the bathroom something fluttered by..........bat.... again! Have to deal with that tomorrow. Must be around the chimney.
I must attract em. You know..... bein' bat#$%& crazy and all. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Jay...your daily activity reminds me when I was your age....had a million things going on and getting things done. Everyday was a new adventure......It all changed when I turned about 60...the body wears out and the mind takes more to be excited .....in other words, enthusiasm fades...been there and done dat......I figure I'll be in a rocking chair in about 5 years.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bats in yer belfry huh!? They are good things to have but not inside the house!

Six you are showing your luck again! I don't find deals like that!

Piller, I keep an 18v dewalt 1/2" cordless impact driver in the truck just for tire swapping! Of course the battery is old and needs to be constantly recharged but if I'm going on a road trip I have a charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter port. Also have a 3 foot breaker bar. One thing I do is put anti seize on the studs as well as the hub part of the wheel.

Seriously!? The weather channel is referring to this unpronounceable hurricane as COVIDCAINE - enough already!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
For real, I have incredible luck in finding the strangest guns for 10 cents on the dollar.....I believe what it comes down to is knowledge...I'll know something that few others do.

Yep....never did like rusty lug bolts....I prefer Never-Seiz but use Rem oil...NS gets on your hands and never comes off. :D

Oh well...what's up for toda? Any action going on? For what it's worth I just farted on the dog...funny..she lifts her head up, looks, and goes back to sleep.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ya know.....I get inquisitive when I have time on my hands....you guys notice something?

Ain't heard from Old Savage or Griff since they got together......you don't think.....hopefully......getting worried......
........that they eloped and went to Las Vegas?.....---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

;-) Well, me and Griff are fast lane guys, You guys been talking brake jobs for two days.

Thought I would let him file the first report but he had a busy couple days ahead and a cowboy match shoot.

Griff came to the house, Deli sandwiches, think he had two, couple Coors, fruit salad and a couple brownies.

Then I took him to the office, spinal exam and an atlas adjustment. Weight shifted from 30 lbs heavy on the left to 10 lbs heavy on the right post adj. We'll see how that plays out. As you might suspect Griff has not been kept in a violin case.

Chatted a while, Griff has a very interesting history.

And off he went down into the LA basin.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I suspect we will hear from him when time allows.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy I could rely use an adjustment! My chiro buddy was have a diverticulitis flare up and he canceled all patients Thursday and Friday. After shooting all last weekend my neck is sore and after being stooped over all week my back is wrecked worse ! But ill still go shoot ZZ birds tomorrow!! Hey Tom, M & E sporting clays range tomorrow if ya wanna stop & chew the fat and watch the fun.

Glad you guys had a good visit ! Sure hope the adjustment is the deciding factor for the cowboy shoot !!

Still didn't pull the wheels...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Fred...starting to worry a bit...not much...but concerned..........fast lane?..all the way to Vegas?

Yep...Griff is an interesting person to bs with.......I never did take to people who have the personality of a stalk of celery.

Wish I was a fly on the wall at Fred's house.........."ya know Fred, that Old Win guy is ripe for the taking"........"yea Griff, we will get him and those two bums from Pa. then catch up with the rest of the gang in North Jersey.........."OK Fred, it's a done deal but we will need some drugs to keep us awake so we can drive through the night....I know a guy who lives near me who sells so much of the stuff, he's called Pill Man!-----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you and Griff had a good visit!

We hopped in the Jeep today and took a ride down to Boothbay, our favorite place to go in the summer. Had a mess of shrimp, clams and beer on the pier at our usual spot. Then rode around exploring on the little roads that run to all the points and coves.
Great day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You bet, I can drive 2 miles and be in a fast lane all the way to Vegas.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Maine coast is totally beautiful in an opposite way than the desert..

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:13 pm The Maine coast is totally beautiful in an opposite way than the desert..
Haha yeah that is no doubt true, my friend!
Still have to get out there and see it though. But it's a little longer drive! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred..the desert is neat.........different......but hey, your an easterner at heart and to me there's nothing like the green.....Jays pics are super relaxing just to look at.....I'll go as far as saying I like lots of things in green....the yard, mountains, and loot.

Jay....looks like a high dollar area with class.......wonder how long a BLM protester would last there.....I bet 30 seconds before someone "takes him for a swim" or maybe, "a walk in the woods"....lots of ground to lose them in.....

Come on Old Savage.....you can post a few pics....I ain't waiting for Griff....he might be holed up in some T bar somewhere with some fresh meat......---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We had no pics, visit was too short and the plan was in flex. Griff wanted to get back on the road to beat the terrible traffic. No time for show and tell even. We moved along.

On the east, now that I have acclimatized here, can't take the east heat/humidity. Played golf at 104° dry heat, like I do many days. Green to me means humidity and bugs. Only can come back fall basically.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear that OS! I hate heat and bugs. But it is subjective and has a different threshold for everyone.
Bugs I can take but they haven't been bad this year. Heat I cannot! Luckily, while we do get some, it's nothing like farther south.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, we have ... no bugs, no humidity here in the regular summer. Unless you feel it you likely won't understand it.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I really want to check it out someday.
It's definitely on my list. I've already traveled more than I ever thought I would.
Mostly due to my kids haha!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Something about bugs...the deeper you go in the woods the more bugs there are.......guys at work, who lived in the city would come over here and say, "how do you deal with all these bugs?"....I'd tell them, "this ain't nuttin, you ought to go upstate in the mountains ...". I bet the deep Maine woods is absolutely terrible.

Well, just came in...me and mom are making plans for a garden next year...we always had one but I let it slip in my later years due to time........just gonna make a small one, maybe 15x15 and have it enclosed with chicken wire, even the top......mom won't eat nuttin if cats go poop in the soil....--6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. It goes like this........
About Memorial day, the black flies start. Clouds of em.
They are bad but don't get you through your clothes for the most part.

Then the mosquito's start. They are worse, cause they can get you through your clothes where they pull tight.

Then about August, the deer flies start. These things can fly about 30mph so the keep right up with a four wheeler or Jeep or whatever. For some reason, they like to get in your hair and root around. They don't bite often, but when they do, it hurts!

Haha good times up here!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh...we get regular flies, mosquitoes and these green horse flies.....those last ones hurt and leave a welt........bed time---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

People go from here to where it is green and comment how pretty it is. I tell them to me that means bugs and humidity

Of course there are places of outstanding beauty like Sedona that have both.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a picture my daughter sent me from their trip there this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like my daughter and nieces had a great time.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Blm 'protesters' ,black flies & skeeters- I have a plan! Duct tape them to trees in the woods and let the bugs bite, chew & suck blood over night, they will change their tune right quick!

Yup black flies and skeeters all those years of going to Quebec, can't imagine how many times I have been bit! But we learned to wear long sleeves,pants, keep a smokey fire going if we had to be outside working on something. Then we discovered thermacell, that does keep skeeters at bay!

Looks like the weather isn't going to be a problem today other than the high humidity. YUCK! I'll take 104 dry heat over 85 and wet air any day!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:20 am People go from here to where it is green and comment how pretty it is. I tell them to me that means bugs and humidity

Of course there are places of outstanding beauty like Sedona that have both.
I've been to Sedona, it truly is Beautiful...... I enjoyed every day I spent in Arizona, wish I'd had the sense to emigrate there when I was younger....🌵
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Beautiful pictures OS! I have no doubt I'd love it out there. Like to spend some time Jeeping that country.
Don't see me relocating at this stage though. The woods has been my home for too long.

Quebec gets it's share for sure Gunny!

Hey GK! Nice to see you drop in!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey OldWin a quick paint job and you'd fit right in with the Sedona crowd... :wink:

https://youtu.be/u97uIRGxZJY
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:02 am Hey OldWin a quick paint job and you'd fit right in with the Sedona crowd... :wink:

https://youtu.be/u97uIRGxZJY
Haha yeah.
It would be so strange to wheel and not get any bushmarks. That ship, unfortunately, has sailed for my old Rubicon. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We have chaparral here that will get you plenty of brush marks.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is an off highway vehicle mapping group in our building.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:50 am We have chaparral here that will get you plenty of brush marks.
Yeah, I'm sure there are brushed in trails. Just my impression, as every time I see pictures or video of western wheeling, it's always in the open. Like Moab or places like that.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

True, lots of desert trails but in the National forests it can be different.