My .32-40 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

My .32-40 Winchester

Post by Shasta »

I have a 1906 vintage Model 1894 Winchester rifle, caliber .32-40, in well-worn condition and not as accurate as I would like. I could keep my shots on a paper plate at 100 yards, but it would not shoot a tight group. The rifle was also difficult to clean after a shooting session because it tended to lead up from the cast bullets I use. The bore had worn rifling, and pitting was also very evident. A bore scope showed the pitting was far worse than I had thought. I had two options if I wanted to make this rifle shoot- have it bored out to .38-55, or get a .32-40 caliber liner put in it. I already have a .38-55, so I decided to get the liner. Before I could get it done, the 2018 Carr Fire destroyed my home and all my reloading equipment, but I did save most of my gun collection, including the .32-40. It has languished in my gun safe since the fire. As I have slowly rebuilt my reloading supplies and equipment, it came time to do something about the .32-40.

I sent the rifle to John Taylor in Puyallup, Washington as he has a good reputation for installing liners. It took a little over three months and a little over $500, but he did an outstanding job and now my rifle has a new bore. I don’t know how he did it, but the liner is invisible at the muzzle.

While waiting for the rifle’s return, I bought a set of RCBS Cowboy reloading dies and an RCBS 32-170-FN bullet mould. No brass was available, so I reformed a few hundred .38-55 brass to .32-40. By the time I got the rifle back I had a hundred rounds of various loads to test. I was delighted with the results of my 50 yard targets. The rifle shot very well with several different powders.

Seventeen grains of Reloder 7 gave just over 1,600 fps:

Fifteen grains of IMR 4198 gave just under 1,500 fps:

Fourteen grains of AA5744 gave 1,454 fps:

Now all I have to do is get some sight settings and go shoot some silhouette! :D

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My .32-40 Winchester

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Outstanding, Shasta. That's a caliber I have always wanted to work with. I have used John Taylor for several projects and have always been extremely pleased with his work. Let us know how she runs out at 100 yards and beyond. 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have wondered about you. Looks like that worked out. Good to see you back.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Glad you’re getting somewhat back to normal and that rifle looks like a mate for mine. I had John do a 1885 low wall in 32wcf using a TJs liner. He does a nice job as you can tell.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Job All Around.!!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Now you have me thinking.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

You had me going for a long minute there. Unfamiliar with the cartridge I had to read up on it . Ohhh yeah I could want one bad and now .I love target shooting.. Then I remembered that I already have too many rifles chambered for cartridges that have to reload for and I have no heirs that are that deep into guns. If I could find the right barrel I might build one anyway. :D Thanks for the inner turmoil :)
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

You have a awesome shooting piece of history , great job!

i have a 1893 Marlin in 32-40, makes me want to get it out & shoot it, for some reason i seemed to have lost interest in the gun & shame on me!!

ollogger