28 gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

28 gauge

Post by 6pt-sika »

Took both my 28 gauge MEC 9000 loaders in to the shop Monday and fiddled around just about the whole day with the one I thought worked better when I used them last . And I messed with it about two more hours today until I got fed up . I then swapped presses and loaded 500+ 28’s with Unique and #8 shot . Thursday I’ll see if I can’t get 500 done with #9’s and start on 500 more with #8 1/2’s . Get all that done I’d like to get about 250 loaded with #7 1/2’s then a hundred with #6’s . Want the 7 1/2’s and 6’s for Pheasent tower shoots later in 2020and early 2021 .
7863DB9A-994B-4A91-88D6-37A1E2003538.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 28 gauge

Post by TraderVic »

You must shoot a lot of skeet and/or clays ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I haven't tried unique, been using long shot, universal, lilgun and 800x. The long shot and universal I'm not overly impressed with- unburnt powder in the bores. Really prefer 800x.
I've also found Remington hulls and Ballistic Products wads do not play well together. I'm a Winchester hull guy, but if I've got other makers hulls I'll use those for different loads.
I tried some BP STUMP wads last season, nice for close shots and worked very well on pheasants.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm You must shoot a lot of skeet and/or clays ?
Actually I’ve got a mountain of components and decided to put a bunch together . I shoot a fair amount with my 10’s , 16’s and the two 28’s . But I’ve got all my empty 16 hulls loaded , I’ve got about 750 loaded for the 10’s with bird shot as well as twenty five of each size of buck I shoot in the 10’s and each slug I shoot in the 10 as well as three sizes of Bismuth and a box of 4’s and a box of 6’s . When and if I get done with the 28 I’ll move on and do the same with the 20 , then the 12 and finally the 410 . I feel like doing it now at the shop and I won’t feel like it during hunting season so why not . On a sort of side note , if Ptecision Reloading ever gets the 8 gauge hulls from Winchester they were supposed to have by July 1 and I get what I had ordered I’m going to load 250 or so in various denominations for that and still have a bunch of new empties to keep me satisfied . I load for seven gauges now I hope I don’t add any others LOL’s !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm I haven't tried unique, been using long shot, universal, lilgun and 800x. The long shot and universal I'm not overly impressed with- unburnt powder in the bores. Really prefer 800x.
I've also found Remington hulls and Ballistic Products wads do not play well together. I'm a Winchester hull guy, but if I've got other makers hulls I'll use those for different loads.
I tried some BP STUMP wads last season, nice for close shots and worked very well on pheasants.
I had one 9000-28 setup for Universal Clays and the other for Unique and both loads smoked targets and feathered targets . If memory serves my 28 gauge buckshot and slug loads are using Unique . I may delve into some 28 gauge 7/8 or 1 ounce loads for the Pheasent shoots (yeah I’m sounding cocky I know). Also may load some 28’s with #4 Bismuth just in case I can go for teal (4’s are the smallest I have at the moment).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Almost forgot I do something they claim doesn’t quite mesh . I use the CB AAHS 28 wads in the Remington STS hulls and they do very well . I’m not doing it to disprove or anything like that it just happens I have several thousand REM hulls and a case or two of the wads . Also have a few hundred once fired AA HS hulls I think . Anyway they’ve worked okay so far .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As to the Pheasent thing I’m booked at Christmas Hill for the “Driven Shoot” in December, January and February . I was originally thinking I’d use a 16 at the first then my little Parker VHE 20 at the second and the VH 28 at the last one . Incidentally if might flight isn’t cancelled I’m supposed to shoot pheasents on Saturday rest Sunday and keave the house at about 2 AM Monday to go to the PI 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I shoot international trap, the required load is 24 grams (13/16 oz) in a 12 ga. That is a 1/16 oz more than a normal 28 load, the 28 breaks targets of all types just as well as a 12! I hunt mostly with my 28s, they do more than people think. I've van shot my Rd Label 28 for ZZ Birds ( helice). Those targets are HARD to kill! Winchester XX 1 oz 7&1/2s and I shot a 10x10 , only an 18x20 with my 12ga.
However, I'd think for the driven shoot I'd use the 28 early in the season and then the 20 then 16. Why? Well as the season goes on the birds get a bit bigger, more wild flight and that bit more shot might be a help.
Yes I use the Winchester style wad in Rem hulls too. I do not care for the BP wads, I don't like 2 petal wads, they don't release the shot string fast enough for birds up close in my opinion.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I've been seriously considering the CZ 28 side by side, Straight stock double triggers, pretty gun...Is there anything not to like about a 28?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No sir!
I have a CZ 410 ,color case, English grip and the triggers were 10 lbs and 11 lbs. Not the trigger pulls so much as the machining in the trigger plate/ receiver were rough as a cob! Just smoothing out the burrs I got them down to a reasonable 5-6 lbs each.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gcs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm I've been seriously considering the CZ 28 side by side, Straight stock double triggers, pretty gun...Is there anything not to like about a 28?
We’ve had two or three of the CZ 28 SxS’s at the shop that we’re having ignition problems and it wasn’t with reloads . They would soft strike different brands of factory loads all were sent back to the factory and they claimed fixed and the customers got the same thing afterward . Now bear in mind it wasn’t a constant thing but rather 2 or so out of 100 shots . True not much but to me that’s unacceptable for a NEW gun . The CZ Guns if I’m not mistaken are actually made by Huglu in Turkey I believe it is .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 am
However, I'd think for the driven shoot I'd use the 28 early in the season and then the 20 then 16. Why? Well as the season goes on the birds get a bit bigger, more wild flight and that bit more shot might be a help.
I hear what you’re saying but I’m not that worried about the birds it more about letting the poor old fat guy get his timing back then start choking back the shot . I shot an ounce in the 16 either an ounce or 7/8’s in the 20 and I have intentions of perhaps making a 7/8 ounce load for the 28 or get a couple of the Winchester 7/8 or 1 ounce loads !
5D65887C-14FF-4FAB-908C-4D805F8AB565.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m gonna do a Vintagers Sporting Clay shoot at the Flying Rabbit in Mount Crawford VA 8/8/20 I’ve just about talked myself into taking my Parker 28 gauge :roll: