Bailing wire, twine, duct tape and now we have.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Bailing wire, twine, duct tape and now we have.....

Post by earlmck »

JB Weld! .... That's how I attached the receiver sight to the little Henry 22.

Was going to drill/tap to attach as usual. As most of you know what looks like the receiver on the Henry is really an aluminum shell covering the mechanism. I figured I'd just go through the aluminum and get some "bite" in the steel behind. But... with the sight designed for a Marlin 336 the holes are lined up so that the "bite" would be just about into the bottom of the bolt. That didn't bode well.

Friend of mine has been shooting his Swedish Mauser with considerable success in our "military bolt" competition. Nice receiver mounted sight that he JB Welded 'cause he couldn't figure out how to get a hole drilled where it was supposed to go.

So aluminum to aluminum -- maybe JB Weld will hold as well as anything I was going to accomplish.

I shot it in our 22 silhouette deal last Sunday. Hit 19 out of 20 which beats any previous shooting I have done with the 22. Wind was fairly whistling so maybe some of my shots that should have been misses got blown into the target! I say that because after the 22's we shot the 25 bore and I managed just 13 hits which is by far my worst at that one. I should mention that I had been shooting it with a tang sight. Now I used to think the tang sight was the primo ultra of sights but now that my eyeballs have gained so much experience they no longer like the tang sight nearly as much as they used to. Still seem to handle the receiver sight as long as I have a big fat flat-topped post out there for a front sight (which the Henry comes with).

Here's how she looks:
HenrywithLyman.jpg
HenrynLyman9815.jpg
HenrynLyman9817.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Bailing wire, twine, duct tape and now we have.....

Post by Bronco »

Every tool box should have that stuff :)
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

JB Weld is awesome stuff, depending on what's needed for your application.

You left out zip ties.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a couple of guns held together in part by JBWeld...

One 45 Colt levergun has a scupe-base mounted on the magazine tube that way. Great flashlight mount for bumps in the night use.

I may mount a light so it points 'up' at the end of the barrel though. Slung it would point right for walking, and an at-ready muzzle-down carry would shine on intruders and confuse them, coming from near the floor; turn on the bore-axis one just before firing of need be, with a pressure-switch...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just came across an amazing banding tool called a Clampet. Turns wire into a variety of very secure clamps. Expensive, but being a tool junky I may have to get one to play with.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 am Just came across an amazing banding tool called a Clampet. Turns wire into a variety of very secure clamps. Expensive, but being a tool junky I may have to get one to play with.
This...? https://www.garrettwade.com/clamptite-r ... ls-gp.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That is some fine shooting, Earl. Sounds like JB Weld is definitely your huckleberry. Filing this away ... 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

agree. just be Certain the location is precisely correct. so far, destroying the jbwelded object is easier than destroying the jb-weld. unless there is a jb-weld antidote out there?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have done the same thing Earl , only mine was on a front sight on a .22 that didn't fit the dovetail perfectly. I put the JB on the part that went into the dove tail centered it wiped off the excess and after it hardened it needed very little trimming , and was almost invisible. when I had the Uberti '73 I seriously thought about using JB weld to mount a small peep sight on the sliding dust cover that covers the breech. Your Henry looks great and I may do the same to my Youth Model. :D .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JB Weld is one of many modern adhesives or epoxies that are amazing today! Many cars and trucks are held together with body panel adhesives now that are stronger than the welds or spot welds the makers used to use! It's unreal what the various companies have come up with.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/