More on "Barrel-length-versus-velocity" - with 22 LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

More on "Barrel-length-versus-velocity" - with 22 LR

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: More on "Barrel-length-versus-velocity" - with 22 LR

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have a little CZ with the 16.5-inch barrel that needs some air, real soon.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

No wonder the grandkid's little "Cricket" is such a potent critter-getter: probably putting out more poop than my 24" barreled target rifle. And danged near as accurate, too I suspect. I figured there'd be some length past which velocity dropped off but I would have guessed it out there somewhere more toward 30".

Interesting!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I figured 22lr would begin to drop off after 22-24" but the longer barrels do seem quieter. As for the short barrels they are more stiff, that explains why they seem more accurate.
I read this between phone calls, did I or didnt I see CCI standard velocity? That is usually the benchmark ammo for most people.
Speaking of which I have a case of it in the basement- need to dig out a 22 or 3 and go do some plinking!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've heard and read for decades how a 20" barrel was optimum for a .22 LR barrel. But I prefer longer barrels for the balance, and accuracy they provide with iron sights. Some even shoot more accurate with longer barrels and scopes also, even if they're slower.
I have a Remington Rolling Block I purchased, and it had a 22" half octagon barrel that shot very accurate! It'sa full size #1 action, but looked stubby, and felt out of balance. I had John Taylor build me a 19" "bloop tube" and after turning down the round portion, he pressed it on with barrel liner Loctite. It still shoots amazingly, but the last 8" is .45 caliber tube. It also balances much better, and since he moved the front sight dovetail to the tube it shoots accurate with open sights too. And I love the looks of it now also!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well that's interesting, I thought I read some wear one that the maximum velocity for a .22 LR came from a 14" barrel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

By using different barrels, he was using different chambers, too, and this can affect velocity. These guys go at it more directly, by sawing off an inch at a time from the same barrel, but they only went down from 18". Their test, though, consisted of only 3 rounds per inch, so isn't rigorous, and cleanings between sets adds another variable.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't recall if it was American Rifleman, or Guns and Ammo; but one of them decades ago took a 24" barreled rifle and began testing by shooting it at 1" increments to check velocity with various ammo. No accuracy testing, strictly velocity. There test showed the velocity began to rise as they cut down the 24" barrel, and at 20" it peaked. It began to drop again as it got below 20", so the consensus was that the variety of ammunition tested mostly reached peak velocity at around 20". They did find that the lower velocity .22 LR peaked at a shorter length, but I don't recall if it was 18" or 19"?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pretty interesting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost