Ammo Storage - might apply to 'truck gun' situation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Ammo Storage - might apply to 'truck gun' situation

Post by AJMD429 »

I often keep a 'spare' handgun (or something) in my vehicle for the occasion that I forget :oops: and leave home with an empty holster, although I normally would use up the 'carry' ammo in that gun as well every few months by shooting it up.
With the recent riots and the thought that I might conceivably have to make the 30-mile walk to get home from work or shopping I have been tending to keep a bit different setup in the vehicle.

After reading this article, maybe I need to think about how many rounds I leave in the vehicle.....
(......is 600 rounds too many......????? :) )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ammo Storage - might apply to 'truck gun' situation

Post by TraderVic »

Interesting read and good info, good reminders regarding carry ammo.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Man, there are many other things I'd worry about.

If you're really worried, use a little nail polish to seal around the
primer pocket and the case/bullet juncture. You could store your
ammo underwater after that............

I've shot Korean surplus 30-06 which worked just fine.
I'd bet A LOT of money, (BOTH of my nickels , maybe... :lol: )
that that ammo was not stored for longer than half a century in
a climate-controlled environment.

Jeff Cooper opined that the WWI ammo he shot worked just
fine. A old, (okay, ancient...) friend of mine had the same experience with WWI
45ACP stuff.

My main concern with ammo in the car or truck: "Did I bring
enough?!"

-Stretch
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

There was a time I was using a P-35. The ammo was French. Now the French had left the region quite a while before and from the look of the containers the ammo had not received any sort of protection. Never had a misfire. Can't say the ammo was all that effective so I went back to a 1911.

I often suspect that some of these articles come from ammo manufacturers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I am generally too lazy to remove my cowboy action cart out of my trunk, so in my cart there is 500 rounds 45 acp, plus 50 rounds in magazines of 230 grain lead round nose at 850 fps. 500 rounds of 44-40 with 200 grain lead at 840 fps. 1000 rounds of 44 magnum with 200 grain lead at 860 fps, 250 rounds of Federal 12 ga. #8 and 50 rounds of handloaded 3.5 " 10 ga with 1.5 ounces of #7. Seeing how I carry a 1911 or a 3 inch smith and wesson 44 magnum and generally have a Winchester 97 or sawed off double barrel 10 ga in the trunk too, maybe also a rifle or two in 44 magnum or 44-40. I think I could probably defend The Alamo if I could get to the trunk of the car. :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't leave any guns, ammo, or spare magazines in my vehicles. Whatever I leave home with, comes in the house with me when I return home. And the only time anything gets left in the car is if I make a stop to go into a building that doesn't allow firearms carried inside.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I leave loaded ammo in my truck all year stored in nothing more than factory cardboard packaging. Some of it is years old having gone through summers in the deserts and mountain winters. So far it's all gone bang just fine.
I wouldn't worry about it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 am...the only time anything gets left in the car is if I make a stop to go into a building that doesn't allow firearms carried inside.
....but.....I wouldn't have a free arm/hand to carry out a bag of groceries.... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good to hear that nobody is seeing much of a problem with temperature fluctuations.

I've fired some old ammo that is reliable, and some that wasn't; I had a bunch of WW2-era 45 ACP that would only fire about 1/3 of the time. I shot most of it up in a Ruger convertible Blackhawk; that seemed to have a deeper firing-pin strike than my 1911's, plus when a round failed I could just re-pull the trigger and go on to the next one.

I'd hate 300 rounds of 223 and 300 of 9mm to deteriorate, although if I were organized I'd simply rotate it and that would be my excuse to shoot more... :D

With the unrest going on, and likely to happen after the election, it isn't a time to get depleted on the ammo supply....!

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:10 am
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 am...the only time anything gets left in the car is if I make a stop to go into a building that doesn't allow firearms carried inside.
....but.....I wouldn't have a free arm/hand to carry out a bag of groceries.... :lol:
Time to break down and get a holster, or slip it in your waistband.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/