How many here lap their revolver barrels?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

How many here lap their revolver barrels?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The thread on the best single .44 mold got me looking at Veral Smith's Web site again, and he, just like friend Pete Thorniley and HIS friend Marshall Stanton of Beartooth, put great store in lapping in a new sixgun barrel. I know the Rugers in particular are said to suffer from constriction at the throat where the barrel is screwed into the frame. I have heard claims that lapping can very significantly improve accuracy. Ross Seyfried has said this, too.
If you have lapped your barrels, what sort of improvement have you seen?
JimT
Shootist

Re: How many here lap their revolver barrels?

Post by JimT »

When I was younger I did. Then I found that if I shot the gun and put 2 or 3 thousand rounds through it, it became quite accurate! Most of the time any constriction in the throat don't hurt accuracy as much as the lack of consistent shooting 3 or 4 times a week. I had Gary Reeder build a 45 Ruger short gun for me some years ago. I never measured the throats in the chambers or the barrel .. I just shot it. Amazing how accurate it became.
:D
special3.jpg
jim_pig1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, it would take me a month of Sundays to shoot 2,000 rounds these days, but I am sure your method works perfectly! 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have Marshall's kit and plan to lap the redhawk after it gets some Ruger attention.

the restriction I have to fix after it comes back from Ruger is the cylinder bores are too tight. I want to be able to thumb the 405gr bullets thru, right now the cylinder is sizing the bullets down, which affects velocity and probably accuracy..... so, after the spare time gets into my account, I'll tend to it . . . :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never lapped a gun barrel ever. But I've mostly owned S&W handguns and they always shot accurate without any work to get there.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I did a pair of Ruger Vaquero's in 357mag. Both leaded quite badly, but after lapping it stopped when I used the same loads. One rifle barrel too, but otherwise no.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never have. But to be honest I doubt if I'm a good enough shot to tell if there were any improvement or not. If one is blessed with amazing shooting skills it likely has a place. But not for a mere mortal such as myself.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad