Ohio plague numbers, an overview

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Ohio plague numbers, an overview

Post by wecsoger »

We all know the initial projections, models, and SWAGS were completely wrong, at best (I'm being kind)

We've had several months of this now and are accumulating rough numbers at least for projections and trending

This info from the Ohio coronavirus website portal, so it may or may not follow what's going on in your state

Adding, I don't trust a single headline or breathless report in any news media for accuracy or credibility. And you're welcome to check my numbers on the Ohio website

For Ohio overall tested cases, you have a 1 in 254 chance of getting it - odds even better if you don't live in Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland

For the total population if you get it 1 in 1588 chance of going to hospital

And a 1 in 4296 chance of it killing you

However...

What gets morbidly fascinating is looking at numbers by age

Age group 20 to 60 is 64% of tested cases. That makes sense. The are the folks working, out and about and getting exposed

Groups 60 and above 31%, 0 - 19 picking up the rest 5%

It gets worse

Ages 50 and above are 78% of the hospitalizations

Ages 60 and above are 92% of the deaths

Actually, age 80 and above are 53% of deaths

So it looks like if you're getting along in years this disease takes what time you have left

Me, since I'm in that higher age group demographic I'm keeping a low profile

No eating out, no big meetings, no major shopping trips or store visits.

Looks like any vacations (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg) or the beach are off this year.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ohio plague numbers, an overview

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe you do better with zinc, vitamin C, vitamin D, and great omega-3 intake; all those fall off with age and are inexpensive and 'mostly' safe ("check with your personal physician and pharmacist before taking supplements").

It is also interesting to see the MAJOR behavior changes people make to reduce CV19 risk, yet compare that risk to the annual tobacco-caused deaths, versus how many of the mask-wearing, hand-sanitizing, locked-at-home folks there are who still smoke....!

Definitely makes one realize just how addicting tobacco is for some. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm laying low also. But I do go to stores for parts and supplies. I have responsibilities to get my wife squared away, my only actual reason to stay here. Other wise, I'm sincerely looking forward to moving on.

As far as elderly deaths. Well, elderly people all die eventually. It seems to me that the virus may be a push to someone who already has causes of death bearing down. An extra load that the already challenged immune system can't cope with.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

This pandemic hasn't changed my behavior all that much, I've found. I tend
to dislike crowds and traffic anyway, so social distancing - which along with
hand washing is the most effective defense against this virus - isn't a major
problem for me.

The only REAL change is cancelling motorbike trips. We had planned to visit
my parents and my girlfriend's step parents this year, but they're all quite
elderly and have severe health issues - heart problems, COPD, recovering
from cancer and the like. If we pick up the virus at a rest area somewhere,
we'd kill 'em for sure. So we won't go this year.

The big problem with this pandemic is how lethal it is to people with already
compromised systems - whether by age or some other condition. I'm not getting
any younger, so I've got to be a little bit careful. Not paranoid, just careful.

Iceland seems to be doing this right. They closed their borders until they got the
rate of infection under control. They quarantined those who were sick, and those
with whom the sick had come in contact with. They're able to open most things up
now, but they realize the summer tourist season is pretty much shot. Still, they
averted catastrophe - with no masks, which are great theater but not all that effective
for the general public.

Iceland suffered a smallpox epidemic in 1790 or thereabouts that wiped out something
like a quarter of the population. Back then not a lot was known about sanitation or
virus transmission.

It'll be interesting to see how the coming school year pans out.

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm still keeping my head down here in the UK, but that's not a lot different to normal. The only thing I miss is my weekly trips to the south coast to see my GF we are both of an age that we don't need anything else to slow us down.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Saw a report here in Oregon just last night. It said of all positives here in Oregon, only 14% of those required hospitalization. And of the 14% hospitalized the deaths totaled less than 4%. And this is just the people who showed they contracted covid 19. So the 14% and 4% are of the 7,000 known confirmed cases. So out of 4.218 million people, that's 980 people hospitalized, and 280 died.
I'm not looking to die, but I'd say the odds of contracting it, or dying, or even ending up in the hos[ital are pretty darn low. The Hong Kong flu in 1968-69 killed over 100,000 people, and I didn't catch it either. Less chance of catching the corona virus.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Funny, but some studies now show that blood type has a lot to do with your ability to survive CoVid19. What I have read is that Type O is least likely to contract it. However, we still need more information. Just not from The Lancet. We need truthful information.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'd like to see the double blind scientific studies that PROVE that masks worn in public spaces, like stores, or in the open air, alter in any way the numbers of people who contact and contract the feared virus. willing to make a gentleman's bet on this one . . .

anyone?

I would also like to see what legal authority authorizes the governor of any state to mandate mask wearing by fiat.....

anyone?

If anyone cared to protect "the people", then the order should be to make it a crime for anyone exhibiting the known symptems of the woohoovirus to be in any public place. and STOP PUTTING THE ONUS ON THE INNOCENT.

anyone?

I would also like to see Americans STAND UP AND SAY NO WAY ....

anyone?
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

They'll never do a proper study of mask effectiveness because they know most of the masks people are wearing are nothing but sugar pills. A study would prove it.

NIOSH calls them unrated but somewhere between ineffective and Level 1 depending on actual construction. Some may filter out dust.

Like you I recognize the masks are more about compliance than protection. Luckily where I live they aren't mandated by anyone but individual businesses. Easily avoided.

Because of our age we follow the cleanliness and distancing guidelines. Never cared for crowds in the first place. I only went to the ballgame because she likes it and I don't want her going into the city by herself.

Post by piller »

Tarrant County, Fort Worth area, has a mask order now in place. The masks that you can buy are the ones that only filter outgoing air.
D. Brian Casady
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm Funny, but some studies now show that blood type has a lot to do with your ability to survive CoVid19. What I have read is that Type O is least likely to contract it. However, we still need more information. Just not from The Lancet. We need truthful information.
I'm O+ does that count? :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:23 am I'd like to see the double blind scientific studies that PROVE that masks worn in public spaces, like stores, or in the open air, alter in any way the numbers of people who contact and contract the feared virus. willing to make a gentleman's bet on this one . . .

anyone?

I would also like to see what legal authority authorizes the governor of any state to mandate mask wearing by fiat.....

anyone?

If anyone cared to protect "the people", then the order should be to make it a crime for anyone exhibiting the known symptems of the woohoovirus to be in any public place. and STOP PUTTING THE ONUS ON THE INNOCENT.

anyone?

I would also like to see Americans STAND UP AND SAY NO WAY ....

anyone?
Not me, as I agree with you! And it seems most mask makers do too! Every bag of masks I've bought states right on the bag they wont protect you from contracting an illness, nor from passing it on. They also say "not for medical use", which is even more hilarious to me!
I've looked at bags or boxes of masks everywhere I see them sold, and the vast majority have that last statement on them about not for medical use. Masks make people feel better by giving them, and others a false sense of security. But even medical professionals will require you to wear them when you go to the doctor, or hospital.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

rossim92 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 am
piller wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm Funny, but some studies now show that blood type has a lot to do with your ability to survive CoVid19. What I have read is that Type O is least likely to contract it. However, we still need more information. Just not from The Lancet. We need truthful information.
I'm O+ does that count? :D
According to the Italians, O+ has the lowest risk of contracting it. Granted, that is a study from only Italy. One country may or may not be enough to get any information that we can use.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

@marlinman here's something that is SO FUNNY. yesterday I went for a walk in the Olympic National Park at one of those wilderness spots you can drive to... I walked on a wide groomed trail for a mile or two, and I passed 3 female appearing individuals wearing masks !!! 5000+ feet of elevation, in the cleanest air in wa state, outdoors, with hundreds of yards of separation between the unmasked family groups, WEARING MASKS.

My only option is to consider those 3 the virus carriers in that location

tragedy always has its hilarious moments. i would like to see a shakespeare play incorporating all the elements we live with . . .
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 am @marlinman here's something that is SO FUNNY. yesterday I went for a walk in the Olympic National Park at one of those wilderness spots you can drive to... I walked on a wide groomed trail for a mile or two, and I passed 3 female appearing individuals wearing masks !!! 5000+ feet of elevation, in the cleanest air in wa state, outdoors, with hundreds of yards of separation between the unmasked family groups, WEARING MASKS.

My only option is to consider those 3 the virus carriers in that location

tragedy always has its hilarious moments. i would like to see a shakespeare play incorporating all the elements we live with . . .
Pretty ridiculous, but still doesn't beat the ones in cars alone with windows up wearing a mask. I see those almost every day.

Post by DadsMod12 »

Driving home this afternoon I heard an interesting interview. Dr. Douglas Frank had some interesting things to say about how they are reporting all the test results. He said he doesn't listen any national news. As my dad used to say - Figures lie and liars figure. Dr. Frank has a website, at least until Facebook shuts it down. https://www.facebook.com/groups/158015618707622/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for link