Scouting is dead to me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Scouting is dead to me

Post by jdad »

I cannot fathom what has happened to the BSA. It was a great part of my youth in the 1970's.

https://scoutingwire.org/bsas-commitmen ... injustice/

This is the WTF moment for me. Introducing a specific diversity and inclusion merit badge that will be required for the rank of Eagle Scout.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scouting is dead to me

Post by jeepnik »

I was never a Scout. We used to tease them about their short pants. I grew up in the YMCA. But it too is no longer what it was. Long ago they started letting women in (although the YWCA doesn't allow men). Now in many places like the one down the street from me it is more of a gym. It's mostly for adults that pay expensive fees. Their commitment to the Christian part of Young Men's Christian Association died decades ago.

Honestly, there aren't really any nationwide organizations left that live up to their original values.
Last edited by jeepnik on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scouting is alive to me, just not in the form it was in the 1960s. And the America of the 1960s has vanished just as well. Scouting strives to build young men of character, able to take their places in all our communities -- rural, suburban and deeply urban. Scouting has lost its way in our cities; this might be a way to claw back.
William Baden Powell. Eagle Scout, 1971.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was a scout...then an explorer......Loved it and it taught me many values. I've always credited scouting and my mom and dad for many successes I've had, especially in the responsibility category. (It's all an act I put on here :D )

I do not recognize the United State today. I was really hoping Donald Trump could bring some of that back. He has tried valiantly but the forces against him ...and us.....are too strong and envitably are going to force us into a civil war......more than the talk and riots that are currently happening. It's all too far gone...we can't go back.....never has our 2nd rights been more important.---6
Model A Uzi’s
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I loved being a scout but the organization as i knew it is gone. This country is in so much trouble. I almost wish I had not brought children into it.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I was a cub scout in the early sixties, it was fun then, graduated to boy scouts and even at that tender age I became very disillusioned with them.
Just rules, uniform codes, and in my thinking, a waste of time.
Maybe it was my troop, maybe my independent attitude, but I'd rather go fishing. lol
I think it was probably more relevant to the townies and city kids, Lasted about 3 months....
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was a Cub Scout. I was an Eagle Scout. I was an Explorer. I was a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster. I had experience with several Troops and Councils in multiple states. I learned a lot from Scouting.

I never once encountered any of the problems of deviancy that have caused the steady decline of the organization over the last several years.

For me, is it a sad demise of what once a pillar of American exceptionalism.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was a scout, rephrase, I was PROUD to be a Boy Scout. Cultural diversity well yeah, we had three brothers in our troop that were seventh day Adventist’s, so we worked together. Some trips they came and helped set up camp then left, and returned when they could. Some trips the rest of us left Saturday morning with our gear and their gear. We would bring one days food, and set up their area along with our tents or whatever, and they would bring the next days food when they arrived(and on more than one occasion the stuff we forgot🙄). I wasn’t from their religion and they weren’t from mine but we didn’t protest each other we worked together and learned. The organization has given in and given up as so many have. I taught my son the values and the skills scouting (and the men in my family) taught me because Scouting wasn’t scouting anymore. Sad but it is.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I tried scouting, and it wasn't the program that bothered me, it was the "scouts" that were always acting up that turned me off. The Scout Master couldn't control as the meetings were a waste of time. Don't know about other areas but here in So. Oregon there are TV ads for legal services for those abused in the BSA after they allowed homosexuals and pedophiles to become Scout Masters/Leaders...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

If girls can join bsa , can boys join the girl scouts?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the Scout Oath and deleted the last 3 words "...and morally straight."

On second thought they will probably remove the first line as well " On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country..."

I'm becoming so cynical now that I'm in my 60's.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't know a lot about the BSA but my late brother was a senior scout and when they lost their HQ my mom and dad let the scout group use our house for meetings, my dad was also a scout around the time of WW1. Whilst my brother was a scout a Catholic lad tried to join but the local protestant vicar wouldn't allow it, my mom protested and an all mighty row broke out, my mother vowed never to step inside a church again and I never got to join the scouts :(
Now there are calls to pull down Lord Badden Powell's statue..... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gcs wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 am I was a cub scout in the early sixties, it was fun then, graduated to boy scouts and even at that tender age I became very disillusioned with them.
Just rules, uniform codes, and in my thinking, a waste of time.
Maybe it was my troop, maybe my independent attitude, but I'd rather go fishing. lol
I think it was probably more relevant to the townies and city kids, Lasted about 3 months....
Learned the most important stuff in my life fishing with my dad and uncle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

I was a 2nd class scout in 1966 or so. Nary a problem and it was a fun organization (but I was bummed out when they would not let me take my Wincheser 08 .22 pump on hikes!)

But yes.. they have turned their backs on "morally strait" to now become a haven for the morally corrupt. And now this PC stuff!!!

NO.. I would not have our grandkids in the BSA now. Maybe a church based Scouts but not the BSA.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As most of you know through various posts over the years, I was a Den Leader then an Assistant Scoutmaster as Y2K moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. He made Eagle - thankfully before all this crazy BS (no, I don't mean "Boy Scout") stuff started.

Some of you know that the last straw for me was adding the girls. I have nothing against females; I have a daughter and support her in everything she does. But our society desperately needs a place to socialize young boys into real men - and that is why Boy Scouts was so viciously attacked by the left. I predicted the further slide into oblivion that Boy Scouts would take (actually starting a few years ago with other horrendous capitulations to popular culture). Had I not already left the alignment with Burn-Loot-Murder would have certainly caused my departure.

I feel sorry for all the boys who put so much into earning what is going to be worthless. I feel sorry for all the Dads who put some much into the program as well. I asked Y2K what he thought about this recent decision and he simply responded "I don't care; the program is dead to me".

Just like the title of this post.

And thus, unfortunately, the left wins another battle. The future leaders of the program, the ones that would hold it true like my son, won't be part of what has turned dishonorable. :(
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I liked the idea of being a Boy Scout and so signed up to be a Cub Scout; that lasted less than one year.

Why? Because I learned that I already knew more about fishing, camping, hunting , etc than did the scouts, so the scout program was a waste of time.
My Dad was an avid fisherman , so the whole family fished. He grew up in the depression hunting small game to help feed the family, so we boys picked up hunting and GUNS quickly. We often camped out on fishing trips and learning that was easy. Plus, we lived just outside of town and there many square miles of prairie and canyons to explore and hunt.

It was years later that I realized how fortunate I was not to have been raised in a big city.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Sad to say this has been coming for a long time. I was a cub scout in the 60s and enjoyed it learning lots. With the National Headquarters in WV where I retired from the State Police, I have heard what was going on in the organization for a long time. The lack of spine of the organization (WHO KEPT DETAILED RECORDS) and did not report "PROBLEM" pedophiles to law enforcement over the years lead to what is happening now. A friend of mine had been the director for a few years after he retired from the military.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 pm As most of you know through various posts over the years, I was a Den Leader then an Assistant Scoutmaster as Y2K moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. He made Eagle - thankfully before all this crazy BS (no, I don't mean "Boy Scout") stuff started.

Some of you know that the last straw for me was adding the girls. I have nothing against females; I have a daughter and support her in everything she does. But our society desperately needs a place to socialize young boys into real men - and that is why Boy Scouts was so viciously attacked by the left. I predicted the further slide into oblivion that Boy Scouts would take (actually starting a few years ago with other horrendous capitulations to popular culture). Had I not already left the alignment with Burn-Loot-Murder would have certainly caused my departure.

I feel sorry for all the boys who put so much into earning what is going to be worthless. I feel sorry for all the Dads who put some much into the program as well. I asked Y2K what he thought about this recent decision and he simply responded "I don't care; the program is dead to me".

Just like the title of this post.

And thus, unfortunately, the left wins another battle. The future leaders of the program, the ones that would hold it true like my son, won't be part of what has turned dishonorable. :(
Well put, and very true. Also sad.
The 'progressives' have to destroy anything they can't use to control people or make money off of them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far....4-H seems to be ok; at least in farm country...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

And may 4-H always be so, doc.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I was a registered leader and Scout Master for over a decade and I loved my scouts. The mindset was right and the goals were proper. Sad what has become but the life is still mine. On my honor........
Click Click Boom