Colt Baby Dragoon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Colt Baby Dragoon

Post by JimT »

No ... not a real one. An Italian copy that belonged to my father-in-law. When he passed I inherited it. It hasn't been out of the safe in 25 years! I dug it out today .. it needed a little rust taken off .. the ram was frozen in place. When I went to take it off the barrel I found the entire ram was "glued" to the barrel! Old oil or something had dried like varnish. The spring catch on the end was immovable. I soaked it in brake parts cleaner and that freed it up. Some oil and light steel wool on the rust. The hammer spring was very stiff and I lightened that a big .. makes it easier to cock. I checked it by popping #11 caps. I will fire a few shots with it for old times sake and remembering Grandpa Bob.
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Baby Dragoon

Post by OldWin »

Neat! I love the look of the baby dragoon. It, and the 51 Navy are my favorites in the looks department.
Never fired a baby dragoon though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
NC Long Rifle
Levergunner

Post by NC Long Rifle »

That's a neat looking pistol. I bet it's a Euroarms. I have one very similar in a 1851 configuration, brass frame, in .44 caliber. I don't think this combination ever really existed. Sometimes when I am watching westerns on TV, I sit with it in my hand and cock it now and then. I tell my wife that somebody in the program may need my help. I bought this many years ago at a flea market. It was in a box disassembled. It runs really smooth and shoots great.
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/down ... w&id=22242
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

All the original Baby Dragoons I've seen were steel frame, not brass.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The front sight doesn't look like the original either, it reminds me of a Remington front sight but that might be a good thing being a little taller. I had a Uberti 1849 Pocket Colt, it used to spit those little balls out but like most percussion Colts shot high. That Baby Dragoon looks like a lot of fun.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Funny, I'm actually watching a GunBroker auction right now for a reproduction Baby Dragoon. I'd just like one to shoot. I do own an Uberti Pocket Model, so largely the same thing. I've just always liked the looks of the Dragoon trigger guard (though I must admit that as I have aged I don't like the feel of that guard when shooting anything with recoil).

What fun! :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:40 pm Funny, I'm actually watching a GunBroker auction right now for a reproduction Baby Dragoon...
Make that "we're watching" it Jay -- but don't you worry, I won't bid on it... Hope YOU get it. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am wondering if Mattie would have done a better job if she had one of those instead of that large full size Dragoon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Sometimes when I am watching westerns on TV, I sit with it in my hand and cock it now and then...."

....so I'm NOT the only grown-up that does that... :lol:

The thing is - the gun does have to more or less match the movie.... i.e. A 1911 or Springfield '03 or Garand for a WW2 movie, but if it is a Western it has to be at least some kind of single-action revolver or levergun.
Watching 'Saving Private Ryan' while fondling an AR-15 or a Winchester 92 would somehow be against the 'rules'... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "