The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Ok. This is my (and some others) opinion. Surely some will disagree, but....well.....I don't care.
A steering stabilizer (dampener) is not really much of anything in regards to front end geometry or performance. Most times, it is a band aid used to mask an issue with the front end setup. In the case of a YJ, there is little cause to need one if all is well. As long as geometry is correct, everything is tight, and tires are quality and balanced properly, she will roll down the road just fine.
The hardest thing to diagnose, is a case where everything is just a little worn. It doesn't really show, but all together is enough to make it loose. But usually only after a lift and bigger tires.
Did that help bud? If not, just ask away.

P.S.
For dudes who were around in the 80's, you always picture the trucks with 12 inch lifts, 44 inch tires and triple steering stabilizers right up front. Just looks mostly. Trucks like that are ok in mud pits, but most if thise suspensions worked poorly if at all.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Whoo Hoo! I win 92!
Seein as I was answering Six's question, I want a smokin clean and minty 92 src in 38-40.
Thank you buddy! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Thank you for taking the time to answer that question for CAS. I hope he stops over here....I do know I got the Jeep death wobble one time in ole Yeller and and a new "dampener" cured it...chit, that was in '96 and I put another 90,000 miles on it up until '16 and never had it again. I dunno, maybe it was stupid luck.

YOU WIN!!!! And it's a big win! geeze, between you and me we probably have 1/2 of Winchesters production of '92's....I don't have many but I KNOW you have major quantity, especially those half mags. I'd like to borrow one of those half mags so I can get the measurements off of it for a special container of some sort to be sewn in my up and coming special order buffalo coat. I've had it with you.....you get all of the good stuff and it's that coat that's doubling up as a special tool, along with your creativity.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'll take it!

Weird on Old Yeller. Sometimes a simple tire rotation can cure it. A lot of people get shimmy and think it's death wobble. Death wobble will almost rip the wheel outta your hand. It's BAD. And you have to come to almost a complete stop to make it stop. You rarely see it in a leaf spring setup.
First thing I'd check is your rod ends and shackle bushings.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay....I've had "shimmies"....this was a death wobble....scared the hell out of me.....it happened after I hit a pothole....the wheel went back and forth violently......I was in West Chester doing something and was only about 3-4 miles from Quadratec so I drove there and got a heavy duty stabilizer......I drove home 40 miles an hour......

Did ya hear the news? ...not meaning to go that way but it's all over the networks......seems like Rayshard, George, Michael Brown, Jamal, Trayvon, Eddie Gray, Latwan Jackson, Ishamia lantwell, keishafuno dykago petrol, Akeem yougoslawal, and Reberto Quanset, along with his half sister Kokomo lasanitlleheiobhas were all court ordered to go to school to learn how to obey police commands.

It's happening again.....Wendy's burnt to the ground. Law abiding folk are not gonna deal with this again......----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup....that's the Deeee Dubya (death wobble).
But like I said, the stabilizer masked whatever caused it. It didn't "fix" it. Something is worn or loose in there. Rod ends or drag link maybe.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rancho shocks- nope I won't buy them ever again! I dropped the coin for 5000x years ago for my truck. On a trip to Canada I come around a turn and a tree was across the road, yank the wheel hard right to miss the tree and hit a pothole. Then the truck developed a rattle. Couldn't find out what it was. By the time I got it home the shock had shredded the boot. Called the place I got them from and they got me another and wanted to charge me. What about the warranty? Oh this doesn't qualify. Umm RANCHO did not weld the attachment correctly so this is on you and RANCHo I walked away and put brand new different make on my vehicles vr since! Where the lower mount was welded to the end of the rod there was two 1/4" blobs of weld.

Hey that's a real nice factory engraved 85%er!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, a little bit more about the Boots n' Six name. I picked that because both of you were very recognizable on LG and to indicate both men and women were welcome and indeed we have a number of both. Later I asked Tami to be co-administrator. A number of the members know her from some other sites she is on, widely friendly with everyone.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Six A fine collector like Jay dont want that old nasty rifle. It’s all scratched up and half the mag tube fell off. I wouldn’t want either if you to be stuck with it because of your elevated status as 92 guys, so just send it along with my 1890 because I am not much of a 92 guy and that scratched up junker wouldn’t hurt my rep.
On another note, Friday I had to go onsite to a facility that had 9 covid deaths in the past 7 days. Take a fat guy wrap him in plastic suit and gloves have him breathe through a filter and have him walk around all day in a heated facility on the hottest days. Great idea. I did however get to pick up myb1886 that has been rebored to 50-110. It isn’t set up to cycle rounds yet buuuut it will fire them single loade sooo going to the range in a couple hours. My buddy and Inhad been doing some trading recently sooo the Marlin 1894 in 38-40 got here on Saturday (circa 1905). Gonna be a good day boys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey FW you got me all wrong buddy. I don't put on airs. That old 92 is just fine for me. My guns are all hidden down in the bunker anyhow. Not many see em. Mostly just my boys. The pics I've posted are mostly done with camera angles to make the stuff look better than it is.

I'm tellin' ya bro, if that 94 Marlin has bore, that puppy will SHOOT! I'm a dyed in the wool Winchester guy, but only a fool would not see the accuracy of the old Marlins.
My 1889 in 38-40 is a crazy good shooter. The old Lyman 401043 black powder bullet over 8gr. Unique and you are done.

Hit the range yesterday with the oldest boy. He bought a Colt Frontier Scout and wanted to try it so I brought mine too. I've always loved em. First handgun I ever fired. All the ones I've shot shoot right to POA.
Was shooting 12ga hulls at 25 yards without much trouble. We had a blast running plates CAS style.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...hey......what's all dis???? :D

wasting space
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

too many pics
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Will one of you fisherman please tell me what kind,of a fish this is? I have a lot of them in the pond and I never put any in. I think this why the Blue Herons are stalking the pond. This is a close up...guess the fish is about 4-6" Long.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a bluegill/ sunny/ bream depending on local identification. Actually good filleted , breaded and deep fried!! Of course ya need a lot of them to make a meal.

Ok my answer is - drum roll please- ALL OF THE ABOVE.
What do I win ? :D

Me thinks I have a raccoon ... I filled the bird feeder last night and empty this morning!! Six I need you here at night to stand guard, I'll supply gun & ammo!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We called them Sunnys/Bluegill.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:21 pm As long as geometry is correct, everything is tight, and tires are quality and balanced properly, she will roll down the road just fine.
So you're saying, as long as it's unlike any car or truck I have ever owned, everything will be fine. :D
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you my friends....a Sunny.......when I was a kid we used to catch them....I remember the "kids in da know" would call them Sunny's.....I'll be dammed if I can remember what they looked like. They are obviously a natural fish and who knows where they came from....my wife has lived here 65 years and it's always been a small spring fed creek. I mean SMALL...only a couple of feet wide delivering 25 gallons minute.....the cows and horses have been drinking from this stream since 1804...

I'm gonna do what Master Gunny says but I usually overdo myself.....that means instead of buying a few goldfish I'll buy up a hundred and wing em in the pond....you think there's enough natural food for them?...if not I won't do it.

Hey guys...let me introduce you all to CAS....He posts on the board from time to time but like me, he don't like too many people. :D
In fact, he lives in N.Y. near Gunny. CAS will vouch for my ability to use my digestive tract. The last time we all camped and had a shootfest we never did get another invite....seems like a few of our bullets found their way to some outbuildings.....we never did find out who did it....for about 75 years CAS drove this Ford LTD......this car was from the era when they built them 24 feet long, 10 feet wide and weighed about 6,000 pounds........you still have it Glen??
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That looks like a pumpkinseed. Bluegill have a longer ear and an orange throat. Warmouth have a different mouth. So do shellcrackers. Green Sunfish are less colorful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Well there was the '86 Oldsmobubble Delta 88 I had the first "Nor' Easter" get together. I paid $400 for that car and put like 89k miles on it. That was followed by a 1990 Grande Marquis that I had at the last couple get togethers. They were both equally huge land yachts, and I miss them both. I have a '96 Grande Marquis now that I use back and forth to work. It was my fathers car for many years. He eventually bought a newer one and gave this one away to a local kid. It sat in his parents yard for a year and a half, then ended up coming back, but ending up in MY driveway somehow. It was headed to the junk yard but I thought, let me see if I can fix the several substantial issues and use it as a work car. Been driving it a few years now. It's big, though it's not nearly as long or square as the other two were. Those things were like driving around your living room.

Yeah that last weekend at Frank's hunting club turned into a very said occasion. I think it was the last time I saw any of you, other than meeting up with Cyrus at a gun show once. Then the sort of surreal memory of being up on a foggy hill top with Frank in his jeep, finally getting cell service and a voice mail that my brother in law, one of my best friends and hunting partner had died. Having that be the last time I'd ever speak to Frank again really makes that a sad day for memories. It went from a really great time friday afternoon and saturday, to sunday, one of the worst days ever. I'd hoped that we could make that an annual thing there but it wasn't to be.
Slow is just slow.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome aboard CAS. I see Six vouched for you........we won't hold it against you. :D
Yes. The days of real cars have long passed. That is why I have owned very few. Between our house, all my kids, and my parents, there is only one car. My middle son has a 2016 Hemi Challenger he runs summers. The rest are all Jeeps or trucks.
Yeah, it sucks getting bad news like that. Sometimes you associate many things with it and it ruins them for you forever.
We get one life. That's why we have to LIVE it. People who sit around waiting for something or someone to make them happy never are.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well said Jay my bro...we are all in control of our OWN destiny.....you have to grab life by the testicles and give em a good squeeze........

Yea...we used to have a blast at our get togethers .......We would get to where we would camp out on Fri...and shoot continuously until Sunday afternoon. Doc O'Meara, the gun writer/author was at a few.....I still have a lot of pics.....made a lot of good friends and bought guns.....seems like I came home with a gun everytime......I got that 1895 I sold Jays son at a shootfest....from Cyrus? I think it was Cyrus....you remember CAS? Sold a few too..sold Pete Martin a like new Smith 38 M&P with diamond grips...from the early fifties.....he was murdered right after that on 9-11. Miss those days...my fifties were the best time in my life.

Don't do much other than look backwards anymore....missed the first two matches at the club due to apathy..and this covid thing..I ain't wearing no mask at a match.

Ahhh screw it.....it's 1:00....hitting the sack.....Gunny will be up in a couple of hours to take over the next shift.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm up, I'm up!
Hey CAS glad you decided to stop by.

As for the goldfish, just buy a dozen and see how they do. Might be enough food for a dozen but for 100 is another question! If you have those sunnies naturally I'd get somewhat larger goldfish, might get eaten if you buy little ones. Goldfish are carp and carp can survive just about any water. Funny, Piller mentioned green sunfish- they are considered invasive species here - kill on sight!

Nothing like fartin good times! Kinda like our fishing trips up north. I always cringed when we finally got cell service and there was voicemail waiting. My grandfather died on one of those trips, I was ready to turn around and come home but I was told us kids weren't wanted at the funeral!

Ok enough depressing babble!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Post #45-70 went to .... OW

;-)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:17 am Post #45-70 went to .... OW

;-)
Ooooohhhh. I didn't even notice that! Thank you OS!

Ok, I want an 1886 Extra Lightweight in said caliber.
I'm not fussy, solid frame or TD. I'm easy. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tri tip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had another small bear this morning, Parker barked. she saw it through the back door. I let the girls out but they didn't go off the deck. Neighbor had his garbage can tossed, he threw firecrackers at it. 1 cracker at a time dosen't scare them, I throw whole packs & bottle rockets! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here Jay.....

Ok..
On to important things like goldfish.....out in Longwood Gardens, the premier gardens of the world, right down the road, maybe 8 miles has these small ponds with goldfish in them.....and they are HUGE....wonder if they feed them.....if they are carp, won't they eat the algae?
Last edited by Jay Bird on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred and his tri tip....dang..I took a picture of our measly outdoor food...some cheap chicken but that ain't no comparison to tri tip.....but, I'm not a beef guy....

Oh poop...I'm bored.....thinking about going down to buy some Chinese junk down at Harbor Freight...use em a couple of times and throw em out in the swamp...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They might eat the algae but I dont know for sure.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok then ;-) chicken!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Mmmmm..don't you guys have jobs to go to? . Fred.....Gunny.....Jay........Griff and Tommy Gun are absent because they work....

Ok, the chicken.....top picture looks like you took it at the supermarket......
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Have a job? You bet I do. I was at work this morning when I posted.
Then I come home for two hours of sleep. Then I get up and go off to my other job as a paid antifa rioter. :D
Then, every other weekend, I'm a shop steward for the
Local 666 Statue Topplers for BLM. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Top picture is the Ron Popiel Rotisserie. I call it the Ron Popiel pocket rotisserie.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And :D :) :) :) some pork chops.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Worked a bit late today, none of us had much motivation today! :D We did however rename the jigsaw.

Probably but I'm not certain if it was the same or not but 2 more bear sightings here today!

My nieces and great niece just left. Good to see them!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

It's nice to see a happy environment.....Jay had me messing myself about the shop steward statue topplers. :D on a negative point, I'm beginning to see Jay and Old Savages point......stay away from the news.....I'm trying .......but......like I told the wife today....

The superintendent says I take the news to seriously...I don't think I do.

I want to be prepared......

Old Savage.....that's a mighty big chicken.....enough for all of us to drop by......chicken salad for tomorrow?

Your pork chops are quality......mom says you buy the best...........ya know how to tell and this is a REAL TRUE STORY....I'm in the lunchroom, maybe 30 years ago......people bring in food and heat it up in the microwave..blah...blah....I'm sitting at a table reading the paper and here comes Woody, a fellow bro forklift operator.......he has a pork chop sandwich as he showed me...I don't look at other people's food...but they do......anyway, I looked and almost threw up.... slapped between two pieces of bread was a pork chop....the meat was the size of a quarter, maybe a half dollar. The meat was surrounded by a ring of fat tha met the sides of the bread......he gobbled it all down and spit out the bone.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd rather you not insult me Sixgun... Working? I'll have you know I'm semi-retired!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have done small 12 1/2 lb turkeys in that rotisserie.
Thanks to the Mrs. for the compliment. I pretty much know what I am looking at in meat.

A guy in the pipe foundry came to work with a chicken wing sandwich. He just chewed around the bones as if that was the regular way to do it.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just got out of high school.....working for my wife's brother, Tony, who owned a beverage distributor business....he took me on the route....we were downtown Wilmington, de..........he starts laughing and points to a sign on a food business......I'm a country boy and didn't see the humor.......the sign said, "chicken back sandwiches, 10 cents". I asked him what was funny about it.....he says, "Jack, there's no meat on a chicken back." I still didn't laugh.....he says, "they suck on the bones". I still didn't laugh. Yea, I lived a sheltered life.

Well, me and mom are headed to Harbor Freight in Downingtown tomorrow.....she wants to hit this store next to it...I'll see what kind of Chinese junk they have.---6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Griff does that mean you quit driving big truck? You are SEMI retired :lol:!
Hey guys got to shoot
My 38-40 yesterday what a nice shooter man do I like it.
I also shot my converted 1886 in 50-100-450. The action work hasn’t been completed so it’s still a single shot but it was a hoot. 520 grain bullets at 1500-1600 FPS. The mag cap slash mag tube retaining system was in poor condition anu way and after the 8 th shot the mag tube was two inches longer than the barrel. So I called homestead and got some pieces parts on the way. AND my lgs called today and my federal tax stamp is finally in. I can go pick up my suppressor tomorrow after work!!!! 458 socom AR and my 45-70 takedown lever, and my threaded Rossi 357
Mag are moving up on the reloading schedule.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No Tom, I still drive the big truck around... just that I do it at a much more relaxed pace! I actually want to work more than I take time off... but not by much!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Griff ....are you the semi retired semi driver!!!!! :D that's a good one Tommy Gun..... :)

That's all I have to say...nighty night and don't let's the blm protesters bite.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well I had a first.
So about a year ago I was thinking of trying a hang on treestand. I have ladder stands and climbers, but never had a hang on. I found one I liked and bookmarked it in my phone.
Last night at work we got talking about hunting season (never too early boys) and I remembered the stand. I hit the bookmark to see if there were any sales seein' how it's June. I hear some folks think there is an "off season".
The stand usually goes for between 135 and 150 bucks.
It pops up for 90 bucks with free shipping! From where do suppose.........?
Freakin Home Depot. :shock:
Treestands at HD? I never would have guessed.
Supposed to be here Monday. :D

So I text my wife to say good morning about 6.
She says, "What the h3ll did you order from HD at 3am in the morning?"
When I said a treestand, she said, "Oh, well now it makes sense." :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Depot selling tree stands- new one on me! Couple years ago Lowes was selling camo "plywood" ( actually OSB) and it was cheap, like $7.99 a sheet. I should have bought a bunch to build box blinds but...

Tom did the mag spring for your 97 work? I think you need to make a 50-100 case with that zombie green hollow point your avatar pic!

Out the door at 04:50 this morning to walk the girls, back in and feed them. Start the coffee then up to my office to release blm and Parker starts barking her bear bark. Get downstairs and can't see anything. Waiting for more daylight before going back outside. Guess it's time to get the 870 out and load up the rubber buckshot! Although if I shoot at a bear they are going to try and fetch it!

Had a virtual meeting last night for the hunt club, of course the guys I shoot with start a text blast about who is opening the bunker Sunday- me!

So the state Supreme Court refused to hear any arguments concerning concealed carry - AGAIN!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yes Gunny the 1897 worked flawlessly. The G O B’s (good ol boys) at Homestead sent a shipping notifications last night Now to get a couple gallons of vinegar.
A 50-110 cartridge as a avatar I like it!
I am most excited about the paperwork for the can.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good, always nice when you find old parts and they work!
Took long enough for the paperwork!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have the FWD golf course model, won't be any of this for me ;-)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpassionedCo ... ricted.gif

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay Bird check your email !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Email? What's dat?

Tom, if you can wait until later I can post a picture of a cartridge hardly anyone has heard of , let alone seen....the mighty 50-100-450 in Winchester form...plenty of 50-110-300 Round balls out there....

Ok, check email.....if I can remember how to sign in then it ooooooofffffffff to Chinese junk distributor Harbor Freight.----

The Bird
Last edited by Jay Bird on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 am I have the FWD golf course model, won't be any of this for me ;-)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpassionedCo ... ricted.gif

As my right hard to the Good Lord, Ive been in a Jeep with a nut doing that..my son......in Colorado........this boy has balls of titanium.....one time I had to get out to guide him....very similar to that video but there was none of the wheel going up on the cliff.....but the other side was a mile down......there were a dozen vehicles at the bottom of this cliff from the 1950's on.......this place was chained off and was tough to get in there......still remember my knees shaking...and he was driving!