The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Making decent headway with office cleaning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yes Fred you win another page. You are welcome for the assist.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Fred...you won! After 37 posts in a row you were bound to get the prize. :D Geeze...all that fish and chicken...I'm gonna get somethin' to eat. Mom made her famous totalini's...(I can't spell that) with meat sauce with Italian tomatoes.

Got to get Fred a prize...believe I have an 85 something around here....

Here...an 1885 HiWall 40-82 with a number 3 barrel, set trigger, and a shutzen stock. When griff comes out to Jersey this year I'll let him deliver it to ya.....won a fair amount of long range matches with this one.....original barrel and rifling too.---6

These pages are turning over faster that chiefs of staff at the White House.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Smoking trout? Don't you find they are tough to light and hard drawing!?

I tell ya my internal alarm is starting to irritate me! Wide awake at 4:30. Oh well just give me more time to get truck put together, fly rods & such to find homes for, dog stuf to stash, play with all the controls,bell & whistles. :D

What do you plan to use a 7" grinder for? Make sure ya hang onto it when you flip the switch!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Holy RAIN Batman! Boy did we get dumped on while stocking fish this morning! Rive went up fast and got to chocolate milk in nothing flat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....how does ANYONE wake up automatically and wide awake? I need TWO alarm clocks and that's even after 7-9 hours of sleep......off the subject ...the year 1968.....the place....summer Boy Scout camp in the Pocono's....I was known for being a sound sleeper.........the other guys carried me while I was in my sleeping bag and cot out to the lake...about 100 yards.....and set me in water about 6" deep......when I woke.....sometime later... I fell in the water....

I should have consulted you before buying this Makita angle grinder....I've been using hacksaws and files long enough so I decided to "break on through to the other side" and modernize. :D to be truthful, I know little about them so I bought the heaviest and biggest one Home Depot had.....this baby will grind through a car frame. I still don't know what the AC/D.C. thing is ...nothing in the manual about it. I tested it out on a 500 pound anvil and grounded through it in 4 seconds. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It will run on Alternating Current or Direct Current. AC is normal house current where DC you would get from a portable welder/generator.

Oh I sleep like a rock, only 2 things wake me from a sound sleep- telephone ringing or a puking dog! I have been waking up at the same time for so long that I just wake up. Of course sometimes one of the dogs is probably responsible for rousting me, not pointing fingers at you Winnie but she is usually the last one on the bed.

Still raining here...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, unlike you internet trolls... I just got back from the range. Where the Lightning won its way into my heart! It's now my new-to-me favorite rifle! Did not miss a target all day... (total 2 shots, but under the limitations of the timer)... smooth, sweet, and nary a bobble! And what do I find waiting for me at home?

A brand new 4 cavity aluminum mold for the 44WCF, 200 grain RFN from Accurate Molds. Ordered one week ago! What service, I wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks! A new knife from the NRA, (hmmm, wonder what that cost me)? But, no shell plate and conversion kit from Dillon!!! But, some feller on the SASS wire his 45 Colt shell plate works for the 44-40 also!

Topping the day was the 1903-A3! ten rounds, off hand 5 from 2 different positions, like a lazer! 10 hits, Winner, winner, chicken dinner (except I'm having steak again tonite)!

Okay, just so you don't think it's all peaches and cream at the Griff residence... since I knew I was going to shoot Wild Bunch, I decided to load up the golf cart on the trailer, and have it all hooked up to the pick up, ready for the early start! Done, before dark! Then about 10pm, I decided it would be nice to have all the guns and ammo set up ready to pack in the pickup, first thing in the morning. 45ACP, 45 Colt, 44WCF, 30-06, 12 gauge - all checked; 1911 & back up - check; Lightning - check; 1873 back up - check, 1903-A3 - check; and finally, the 1897 back up and trench gun - WHAT! WHERE'S THE THE TRENCH GUN? Check the safe, double checked the safe, then a 3rd time! Ok, behind the door - nope, not there; okay, check the closet with the gun cases, nope, wait, check ALL the cases; nope, not there either! Checked the bedroom closets... double and triple checked them. Nope, the floor safe, emptied it out of several shotguns... not there either. Hunt up a flashlight to check a 2nd time, take each gun out its storage case; nope. What happened to it? I know I used it 3 or 4 months ago at my last Wild Bunch match! Did it left behind? Aye Gads!!! No, pretty sure I remember cleaning it! 3 hours later, I head from the spare room into the bathroom, and THERE leaning up behind the dresser, next to the door to the bathroom there it tis! I must've walked by it 4 TIMES!!! So, that means that I got to bed after 1am to get up @ 5"30 so make the 8:30 safety meeting!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff......you had a GREAT day bro! Seeems like the older we get the less of those come along......for me, it's the way I perceive the day as not much excites me anymore....been there and done that and too old to learn new tricks.

Well...the lightning works good which is a major plus....no brag..fact..I was good at cowboy matches......used my lightning in 38-40 and a pair of single action Colts in 44 Spl....all with full standard weight bullets...used Remington Handicap 7 and 1/2 shot in a double barreled Lefever...This club I used to shoot at had mostly heavy knock down targets and 38 Spl's and light shotgun loads just would not do it. Rifle shots were from 50-75 yards......we would shoot once a month and at the end of the year we had a big "Convergence" with people coming from all over. We would have a pig roast and all of the trimmings. In ten years I won 3 and placed in the other 7.

That club had their last match in 2003 due to lawyers screwing it up. I quit the other clubs because the targets were too close...ain't shot a cowboy match since then...

Your mould looks good. I believe my old friend Jack Kort had a hand in designing that.

Well Gunny.....should have known one of those plug in things for a powder scale/cell phone/iPad would not be able to power the amps from the angle grinder...... :D

Where Fred? Probably at a Barry Manilow or Elton John Concert with a tuxedo on...

Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yea, I had a great day. While I was at the range, I noticed the tilt lever on my steering column was missing on the golf cart. It's a two hour drive to the range... it could have vibrated off anywhere! Well, I get home, unload, then head to the mailbox... and what do I find right in the middle of my driveway? The missing lever!!!

I hate to think what a replacement would have cost... now to locktite it in! Yeah, I used to be pretty good at this shooting game also. Have one wall in the living room with trophies and plaques won. Maybe split 60/40 with the wife's wins. A couple of "family" plaques where the wife, son & I all competed against other "families"... those might be the best of 'em all! Then there's a set of four from one rifle match... a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, with different rifles, and the OVERALL! Might have been luck, but on THAT day, I was the best! But... those days are over. Now, even when I'm having a good run, I'll stop in the middle, crack wise with the spotters or timer operator and generally joke around!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Griff.....looks like we winners hang together......Gunny is a champion trap/skeet shooter and master class wood worker, Tom is an expert with Mustangs & Marlins, Jay is #1 in Jeepin" & half magazine carbines and Old Savage is a world class soft stuff handler and golf connoisseur...........yea......I guess you could call us all the "ball brothers" as we hang together. :D
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff- I had the same thing happen with a shotgun! I spent days looking for it, finally resigned myself to the thought of some low life taking it out of my truck at the club... I had to drive an hour to fill out a police report. About 8 months later I found my Red Headed Stepchild in the back corner of the safe. I felt like such a moron!

So last night/ early this morning I had an interloper ! Black one too! Seems one of our local Ursa Americanus got over the fence. It then tried to get at the bird feeder, proceeded to get pizzed and tore/bit a couple tree branches off. But it didn't get the feeder! I haven't found the entry point yet but the top rail of the chain link shows muddy hair pattern from where it made its exit. Bears here have NO fear of man! They are thick as thieves too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mornin' boys!
Griff! The stars aligned over Texas for you buddy! Glad you found your 97 and column lever! :D

Man! What a time wheeling! This is my favorite trip every year. "Rockman" is a guy in our club. He owns this beautiful camp on 200 acres on top of a mountain just up the road a ways from me. I'm glad it's close cause he has some world class tough wheeling. The views are incredible. Snow covered mountains in the distance and lakes below. This dude is about 60, has a TJ Rubicon like mine, but on 35s. I have NEVER seen a guy who could drive like him. Makes everything look easy.
Big crowd yesterday, but all heavy hitter, hardcore guys with some radical trailer queen rigs.
I did well though. For the only guy on 33s I ran every obstacle that had given me trouble in the past. I pulled cable one time. On a bad uphill 90 degree with muddy 3 foot deep ruts. I made it last year, but I bounced off a rock that was going to send me into a tree on the other side and had to stop. Done.
I had my first body related casualty too. After running an obstacle, I jumped out to video my buddy. I didn't see but I'd stopped with 3" diameter cut off birch up against my passenger front fender flare. When I drove off it caught and ripped out the bottom 2 screws through the flare. Gotta fix it today. Then later I backed up off a tree and rubbed it hard. I had a guard over the parking light so no damage.
One guy got hopping bad on a crazy steep climb and grenaded his front axle. :shock:
My bud bounced off a tree and tore a flare off.
No rollovers. Well, just me. Fell over a downed tree and rolled down a hill over backward. I'm getting old! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jay, when I was in our wheelin club out in Montana we had a saying “ if it ain’t rubbed you ain’t having enough fun.”
Griff, when I was a teenager I got done hunting one day and being a lazy teenage turd I left my Winchester 1200 in the back of my ride(a way cool 1968 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door station wagon, faded bland yellow with four large house speakers a under dashboard 8 track, 195slant six, AND the whole passenger side smashed in). Anyway a couple days later I go to get Said shotgun and no Shotgun . I begged, pleaded, threatened everybody who could have it. Nobody seemed to know about it, finally with my hat in hand AND ready for a first class azz beating, but more
Scared somebody might hurt themselves or somebody else, I went to my Dad and explained what happened. He listened then asked me what my shotgun looked like? I only had one and he was there when I got it! I described it and eventually he went to his closet and pull back some clothes asked me if it looked like THIS? There it was he had seen it and took it out of the car. He let me stew in it a few days to see what I would do. When I went to him he said later he figured I knew the lesson. Didn’t even get a thrashing because the mental torture was worse than anything else he could of done to me. 40 years ago now and that’s my misplaced a gun story.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

FW,
Funny. Everyone wandered over and looked at my Jeep at one point or another. Shaking their head cause its pretty clean. Put up winters since I ordered it new. NO rust, even underneath on black parts. I take good care of her and you'd never guess some of the trails it's seen.
I have been VERY lucky over the years, cause as you know, every time you wheel you're rolling the dice. I've lost count if how many times I've waited for the crunch and miraculously missed something. It's tighter every year up here since nobody wheels full size rigs anymore.
If you're worried about bush marks, you better stay home. :D
Few more pics. The views from the guy's lawn, plowing some bushes, Zoey, the best Jeep dog in the world. She loves it, and rides every trail.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, little time off and the stories have really unfolded. No keeping up with all that. My Jeep needed an Electronic Throttle Control Body ... $805.19

Used to publish a newsletter I called the "Convergence".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks guys... it's good that we're an understanding bunch. And honest enough to admit our own frailties. Tom, those lessons we teach ourselves, (with a little help from wise fathers), are there forever!

Jay, gotta admit, that I've been a 4x4 guy ever since I bought my first... and only had a short 6 month period without one since 1974! Never owned a jeep... the thing that turns me off, is mostly the attitude of fellers I've met (CA mostly), is that "we can go where you can't" brand of elitism. And while I know that's probably the exception, rather than the rule & while I suppose it's founded in fact, as none of my p/us or Blazer could go where they can... vehicle width you know? But, I've crawled all over the local mountains where I lived in CA, mostly by myself. Never got stuck more'n a couple of hours that a shovel couldn't cure. Never owned a winch. Woulda made shorter work of a couple of oopsies I found myself in! Worst ever was shortly after we moved to TX. My wife was navigating, we were house hunting, and she had the local map, showed a dirt road that would've cut 4 or 5 miles off the paved route. She said, look we paid over 20K$ for this 4x4 truck, are you telling me it won't go down this dirt road? I told her, it's a field access road, ruts are tractor tire deep, and filled with water from the rain, slippery as all get out, and if we get stuck, it's going to take a big tractor to get us out, no tow trucks coming in here. She said... "excuses, excuses!"

Well, you know where this went, absolutely no question. About ½ mile in, there we went, down into the ruts! Hi centered on all three points, front & rear diffs, plus the transfer case. 1st tractor that came to get us couldn't get to us! Farmer went back for his big tractor, one of those dual wheel at all four corners jobs. He managed to pull us back out, but broke a front drive line doing it! Wouldn't accept any payment or offer to fix the tractor. Said, it was enough to know that if bought the place, he'd have "good" neighbors! Yep, you guessed it, the wife couldn't stand the house! All that and still looking for a house. That was the last time my wife argued about going off-road! BTW, the farmer said his jeep wouldn't have made it as far as we did!

Oh, wait, since I didn't have a camera, or even own a cell phone at the time, there's no pictures... so it never happened!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Griff,
You won't get any heat from me buddy. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages.
Back in the day, we all wheeled full size GM's. Big horsepower, big Swampers, and big lifts. We did a lot of mud back then. That stuff rules in conditions like that. We didn't know what a "working" and "flexible" suspension was.
A lot of the newer "Jeeps" you see now are almost as big as trucks! When there is a mix on a trail, you can see what is the best and where. Sometimes an old Flattie is the best, sometimes a little more wheelbase works. For most of the conditions in Maine, I like the Jeep TJ (1997-2006) generation. It was the first Jeep with a four link coiler. It has it weak spots, but is very flexy for its size.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not much in the way of wheelin around here. Unless you count the 2 mud bogs and rock trail I traversed 5 times yesterday while we were stocking trout- with my Polaris Ranger. Did some wheeling in CO, got to the top of a 14,000 foot mountain where I k turned my toyota since I couldn't get through a shale pit. My buddy lost his brakes on the way UP the mountain- he was no help!!

Great pics Jay!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We mainly did mud and a little bit of rocks, lots and f trail riding too. We had a mix, my buddy had a 72!short bed f150 that we put Dana 60’s front and rear with a torquey 428 (stickers all over it saying 390hehe) and 36 inch scampers.! I had a f150 with 351 modified and 33 swampers. Years later I had a 77 f150 with a baaad 460 l and l headers and a little NOS. 4:11s, 9000 pound Ramsey, 14 KC daylighters, homemade push bar that I regularly used to push 18 wheeler cabs around, dual army tank batteries and an on board welder. Other than that it was pretty stock( like a NASCAR car is stock).
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Whoa....now I know why you guys get up early.......so you can have a decent normal conversation without me saying stupid stuff!

And I thought we were pals. :(

Well....Jay...beautiful pics. ......studied everyone....is that red one in one of the first pics a Scrambler? I don't think the new Jeep pickup is going to be a seller......don't see any interest......don't see many on the road......it might be a "Scrambler" all over again. If I was a young man like you or Gunny....or Tom...I'd buy one and only take it out on nice days......

Missing Shotgun story? Right now I have THREE handguns I have no idea where they are.....not expensive ones, only Rugers and a Smith......somewhere in the house, barn, garage, attic, next to a tree outside....in the weeds..... under a seat..dunno....been gone for at least five years.....caught a guy once who "mistook" my like new 1940's color cased double ivory beaded Savage for his beat up no finish, gouged up, extreme poor condition Ithaca at a cowboy match.......I was looking everywhere and saw the buttstock of mine sticking out of a case in the back of a mini van.....guy said, "oh! I thought that was mine" ....he purposely left his junker on the rack........

Rubicon Jeeps were made to be taken out and driven through mud, over trees, against cliffs, under water.......like this one....15 years old and no paint left....dents and scratches.....400,000 miles......yea, I used it the way they were meant to be used.---6

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Where I lived in CO I had a silage pit next to the house. Nice high walls and 45 yards deep- great home range. Anyhow I'm in the pit one day shooting and my roommate comes out and tells me I had a phone call. I set my K22 on a stump we kept for an ammo table. About 3 days later I'm going nuts looking for my K22! Few more days go by and I walk down to shoot something else and there is my pistol- right where I left it!! Oh and it was only about 25 feet from the road where anyone could have seen it and taken it without me any wiser!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If it's the one I think, it is actually an early CJ5 (55-70) with a 1950's Willys pickup hood, grille, and fenders grafted on. Sounded like it was sporting a 225 Dauntless. It was a good runner.
The new Jeep pickups sell well up here. A kid wheeled with us last summer with one on 37s. I was VERY impressed. It went awesome.
Got the flare off and the fender straightened around the mount. NUTSERTS ARE AN INSTRUMENT OF THE DEVIL!
I'm going to drill these out and go to something better. What a time I had getting them out. Glad it is only the bottom 3. The rest are backed with plastic nuts and a much better. Probably swap these to the same.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Alrighty now....the Fredster is going shooting and The Gunny is hanging in the silage pit......rats?.....a silage pit? never heard of that...wouldn't the silage rot? I heard lots of stories when my wife and her sisters were little and how their father would make them climb the ladder up the silo to pitch fork out the silage...

Easy life we have today....need a gallon of milk? Go to the store. Mom says when they were kids they always kept a gallon or two of fresh milk....right out of the cows....for food items like ....like....I dunno...whenever a recipe called for milk.

I'm headed out to climb 20+ feet up a cherry tree to cut off a 8" branch....blocks our view of the enchanted island. Don't have a ladder that long so that means a few 2 x 4's are going to be nailed on the tree....---6..o....de bro
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Such a nice afternoon, sitting on the deck with a Marksman thing air pistol loaded with coarse sea salt shooting carpenter bee's. I should try 22 shot shells through that old single shot Winchester but all the neighbors are out.

That silage pit wasnt used so it was a great place to shoot!

2nd that Jay those nutserts SUCK!! Maybe Jack will let you use his 7" grinder to cut them off!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...hey...there Gunny...my pal Jay can HAVE the grinder...I can barely lift it....weighs around 12-14 pounds.....

Got to get that limb down....it's the one to the right about 10' over the ladder above the propane tank.

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six,
You know what I use to get a limb like that? Gravity! :D
With a long enough ladder, it won't be too bad to get.

Hey, why don't you bring that Jeep up some weekend when we are gonna hit the trail. Too bad to let it waste away like that. Sorrowful. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay..
Gravity only works if it's a limb or a tree that's standing over something expensive...or you.....any other time you have to crawl up there and work to bring it down.......well, two hours ago and I'm still sitting here....wish I had a youngster like you or Gunny to climb up there for me. If you come down and do it for me I'll give you a hundred pack of small rifle magnum primers from the 1960's. (It's missing about a dozen)---your pal---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here are a couple pics of the truck.
20200524_172325.jpg
20200524_172334.jpg
You can see the MIGHTY 07 in the background.

Six just shoot the limb down !! Get your quite 32-20s and have a grand old time!

Six you rent the trailer (for the Jeep) and I'll drive ya up to the great white north to go wheelin with Jay! {while you are out I'll empty his safe} :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey that's a good plan Gunny! :D

Well, except the emptying the safe part. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Safe? Clean out your safe?? Who said that??? Oh wait you weren't supposed to see that! :lol:

Ok I'll empty it out only to give them each a gummsmiff inspection!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

32-20 day. 85 gr Hornady JHP with 4.0 gr of 231 or 11.0 gr 2400. Seemed pretty easy to hit what looked like about an 18" plate repeatedly at 125 yds with the 2400 load.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cant complain about that OS! sometimes I'm sorry I converted the Single Six 32 mag into my 44 special !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That is a GREAT thing !! I know sales were up across the country.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I sense a major red wave this election year.....even unknowledgable people are realizing how important it is to own some self protection.

Dang Gunny...that is a snazzy looking truck with lots of class. I see you like foe doe's. Personal preference as I like two doe's with no back seat.....keeps people from inviting themselves ...you know..."Hey! I can go with yyou!" No you can't M.F....walk!" :.......I can only imagine the final price on one of those..60? I have to really like something to ask this, "Can I have it?"

Fred.....the 32-20 is and has been my favorite "all around play cartridge" .....play mind you, not hunting. It's quiet and can be loaded way down or a bit of a stinger if you so choose....it really shows it's might in a long barreled rifle.

Got the limb off.....balancing myself on a 2x4 20' up. One thing about limbs or trees..they are a lot bigger when they hit the ground. If you look right above the propane tank there is a raggy looking bush....the horse used to scratch himself on that bush.I went to cut that in half and before I cut I looked inside of it...a nest with three little peeps in it.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, I don't have a nice picnic table to eat at... for me it's a tv tray in front of the telly... but... quartered tomatoes with parmesan cheese, a juicy ribeye and grilled onions in garlic & herbs as garnish and flavor!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I guess I was slumming for dinner.9
E51E57ED-B663-4EE7-9713-F015CA4A052B.jpeg
Only 6 hours in the smoker.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I got a thing for fried onions....I'll eat an entire onion with one cheeseburger.

Tom...don't invite Stacey over for corn on the cob...you might have some explaining to do to the trash man.

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I smell page 86..... there's LOTS of prizes for this upcoming page. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

86- what's so special about 86? Ok I'll take one in 348 please! :D

Well no bears last night! The squirrels are getting out of hand again, 5 that I can see. Parker's trap line has been busy, 3 chip skunks and a mouse yesterday.

What to do today? Go fishin,go shootin, yard work, wash & wax trucks, wash dogs??
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Make mine an Extra LW in 33wcf. I've never owned one and figure it might be an 86 I'd use. I always felt I'd like that cartridge. I had a chance at one in a TD with a Lyman 21 a few years ago. It was ok but the bore wasn't what I wanted and something about it just gave me the heebee jeebees.
I've learned to trust my gut. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Decided to go shoot a few rifles, brought along my Savage 23B , did a scope swap years ago and never got around to sighting it in. Also my Rem 700 in 17 Remington, 24.5 gr of cfe223 is pushing 25 gr bullets right about 41-4200 fps!! Book said that should be around 3800!!! Another scope swap was my Mexican Mauser in 257 AI. this has never been a great shooter for some reason. But I'm getting everything on paper and fair groups- I gotta build a REAL bench- this narrow wobbly thing at the hunting property SUX!
20200525_113641.jpg
20200525_113714.jpg
Old brass from my college days, not to worry I've got more!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The hippies finally won. Weed is legal and haircuts aren't.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not surprising out there. Our nitwit ran on making it legal and like all politicians it was just smoke & mirrors.

So some of the loads for the 257 AI that I was testing all split necks. The remainder of those I'm going to pull the bullets and anneal the necks. Couple weeks ago I gave it a really good scrubbing and a few passes with JB bore paste. It helped, this was always a 1&3/4- 2&1/2" at 100 gun. This barrel I got from a guy that was prefit,turned and short chambered BUT it had a frosty spot in the bore. We couldn't figure out what it was with a bore scope.
Hereis3groups
20200525_122553.jpg
Much less in size than it used to shoot!!

CORRECTION!! the cfe223 loads in the 17 were NOT 41-4200... 4010-4020. Again the book said this load should be about 3800.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I remember buying a box of those in 06. Couldn't get groups, was shooting them out of a 2 groove O3A3 a buddy had. What I used for groundhogs and pasture poodles was the Sierra(?) 110 gr jacketed hollow point- boy did they destroy vermin!

Guy at school did a wildcat 22/303 British. He was pushing 50s and 55s so fast the bullets were shedding jackets, 45s were melting !
I try not to go much past 3800 in an attempt to get longer barrel life.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They were very accurate in my rifle, 5 in an inch, but about 2" right of regular groups.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just simply need new eyes for shooting any kind of group anymore. All I see is a blurry back sight, a fuzzy front post, and a blob out there past 25 yeards. Lining up the blurry, fuzzy blob give me some semblence of "accuracy", but I'm sure a better eye would bring out the real accuracy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff wins a page!! You sir get your choice of 1886s from Jack's vault!!
Sound like you need a nice open choke scattergun- point & shoot!
Just pulled the remaining 257 ammo apart, 15 split necks after punching out the primers. Phooey!! That's it all the rest of the brass is getting annealed after a good scrubbing in the vibratory machine .
This is Remington brass. Yes it is old, might have to break down and invest in some new at this rate.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 amI smell page 86..... there's LOTS of prizes for this upcoming page. ---6
Don't bother, I already have one... a Browning 45-70 from 1985... Need to shoot it more, but... wait, everything I have I need to shoot more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just went down to empty the case polisher, found a slow drip water leak! For some reason the hot line is pin holeing about every year... more PEX tomorrow!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!