Smith & Wesson model 19

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Smith & Wesson model 19

Post by hondo1892 »

My dad surgery yesterday and I wasn't aloud in the hospital until he was sent to a room. So I was making the rounds to gun stores and when I went into one of my regular shops a guy had four revolvers and two auto's he wanted to put up on consignment. I happened to walk by and seen a Smith that I thought was a 66 and ask what he wanted out of it. He informed me it was actually a model 19 and wanted $495 for it. I don't really care for nickel plated guns but since the price wasn't outrageous I dickered a bit and got him down to $475. This one is a dash four so it has the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder on it. The nickel has one small flake that came off at the muzzle and has the usual cylinder ring but no black residue crud on the cylinder face or around the forcing cone. The bore still looks brand new and figure it has been shot very little. I think I got a pretty good deal and won't be looking for a Ruger GP in 44 spl now. I told my dad when he gets to where he can get out we have a new toy to try out. I figure I'll let him have it since he didn't get his dad's Smith when he passed. I have plenty .38's loaded up but will have to get some .357's loaded up too.
thumbnail_20200520_150034.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Smith & Wesson model 19

Post by 44shooter »

Very nice!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Excellent! I always liked the 19s. They seem to be just the right size, weight and balance.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice ! I paid more for a 19-3 4” blued about two years ago . So I think you got a good deal. I’m trying to find a 19-3 2 1/2” at a reasonable price , but so far that’s evaded ne .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

19s are my favorite. I’m sure you know, but remember not to load full house loads with bullet weights under ~158 grains. That flat in the breech end of the barrel cut for the crane has been shown to crack with full house 125s.
https://www.gunblast.com/Butch_MagnumLoads.htm
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice. Never owned a Model 19, but they are nice guns.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks tycer I didn't know that the lighter bullets would do that. I usually load 158 lead swc at lower levels and shoot hot loads once in awhile.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

hondo1892 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm My dad surgery yesterday and I wasn't aloud in the hospital until he was sent to a room. So I was making the rounds to gun stores and when I went into one of my regular shops a guy had four revolvers and two auto's he wanted to put up on consignment. I happened to walk by and seen a Smith that I thought was a 66 and ask what he wanted out of it. He informed me it was actually a model 19 and wanted $495 for it. I don't really care for nickel plated guns but since the price wasn't outrageous I dickered a bit and got him down to $475. This one is a dash four so it has the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder on it. The nickel has one small flake that came off at the muzzle and has the usual cylinder ring but no black residue crud on the cylinder face or around the forcing cone. The bore still looks brand new and figure it has been shot very little. I think I got a pretty good deal and won't be looking for a Ruger GP in 44 spl now. I told my dad when he gets to where he can get out we have a new toy to try out. I figure I'll let him have it since he didn't get his dad's Smith when he passed. I have plenty .38's loaded up but will have to get some .357's loaded up too.thumbnail_20200520_150034.jpg
I have a .357 sa revolver. there is just something evil about that rd. for a midsize bore, it pack a dang awful kick. my sa is fairly light and jumps like a longtail cat in a room full of rockers
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I own and shoot M19 in 6 inch and 4 inch configurations.
Many thousands of rounds of Super Vel 110 and 125 and my own 125 hand loads have gone through the 6 incher and it still hits where I point it. It has shot its share of heavier bullets on up to and including BB 180 grain. It is my handgun version of my M70 .308, when something has to die, one of them gets the job.

With shot cartridges, it is very effective on bad snakes from just beyond their striking distance.

I HAVE NOT RELOADED .38 OR .357 FOR YEARS AND JUST SHOOT FACTORY LOADS WITH NO COMPLAINTS.

BTW, SUPER VEL IS BACK IN THE AMMO GAME - HAS ANYONE TRIED THE CURRENT PRODUCT?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

crs wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm I own and shoot M19 in 6 inch and 4 inch configurations.
Many thousands of rounds of Super Vel 110 and 125 and my own 125 hand loads have gone through the 6 incher and it still hits where I point it. It has shot its share of heavier bullets on up to and including BB 180 grain. It is my handgun version of my M70 .308, when something has to die, one of them gets the job.

With shot cartridges, it is very effective on bad snakes from just beyond their striking distance.

I HAVE NOT RELOADED .38 OR .357 FOR YEARS AND JUST SHOOT FACTORY LOADS WITH NO COMPLAINTS.

BTW, SUPER VEL IS BACK IN THE AMMO GAME - HAS ANYONE TRIED THE CURRENT PRODUCT?
I haven't heard from anyone that has shot the new Super Vel but I'll bet it's nothing like the old stuff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had been given a model 66 years ago as a Christmas present and I thought it was a perfect out doors companion. I gave it back to my brother as it had been his first duty gun and he really wanted it. I bought a Ruger stainless 357 double action didn’t really care for it and gave up t to my son who loved it. I ended up with a four inch 19 and other than having to care for the finish I like it as much as the 66. Great size, weight, power, and accessibility.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Love the K-frames. Very trim and light. Good power thats easy to carry.
I have P&R model 66-1 in a 4", and a 2.5" round butt model 19-5.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have several K frames and like them a lot. But, I'm an N frame guy at heart. Still the lines and look of the K frames is probably the best balance. I prefer it to the L's as they just don't look right.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jeepnik wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 pm I have several K frames and like them a lot. But, I'm an N frame guy at heart. Still the lines and look of the K frames is probably the best balance. I prefer it to the L's as they just don't look right.
Funny how things look to folks. I like my N too, and really like the K, but I think a 4" L frame is the best looking revolver S&W ever made.
Maybe cause I don't own one........... yet. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OldWin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm
jeepnik wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 pm I have several K frames and like them a lot. But, I'm an N frame guy at heart. Still the lines and look of the K frames is probably the best balance. I prefer it to the L's as they just don't look right.
Funny how things look to folks. I like my N too, and really like the K, but I think a 4" L frame is the best looking revolver S&W ever made.
Maybe cause I don't own one........... yet. :D
Handle one and you may feel like it's top heavy for lack of a better term. I have one stainless L. It doesn't get shot much.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have handled them and didn't really notice before.
Is yours a 4" pre-lock?

Wanna sell it? :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In my opinion the S&W Model 19 is one of the finest revolvers S&W ever built. They wont take a lot of hot .357 loads, but that's OK by me as I don't like hot .357 loads anyway.
I too would be less than excited about nickeled guns, but would jump all over a Model 19 at that price! A very good purchase!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

hondo1892 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm ...it was actually a model 19 and wanted $495 for it. I don't really care for nickel plated guns but since the price wasn't outrageous I dickered a bit and got him down to $475.
I was just reading over on the S&W Forum last night that $750 was a good price and over $825 was the going price for one like yours -- so you did well!

Hope your Dad is doing well too. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My father's service revolver was a S&W Model 19. God-forbid, if I could only have one gun, that would be it.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My model 66-3 3" Lew Horton special one of three hundred. Ported, triljon sight, all the bells and whistles.
https://i.postimg.cc/5NvLktcT/S-W-66-3-088.jpg
It`s pretty close in size to the Python
https://i.postimg.cc/BShHKJYj/Oct-2012-016.jpg
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Since I made this a "show & tell" here`s my other two .357`s. A model 27-2 5" that I had the company engrave my name on, (I wouldn't do that again) and a 4" Python. (Have the original grips stashed). I guess I was getting even for a poor childhood.
https://i.postimg.cc/vTXTS9Pq/SW--27-2-N-13491.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/65RpN2pV/Colt-Python-V73090.jpg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here's my 19-4 6"
Probably 95+%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV