Shorty 10 gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Shorty 10 gauge

Post by 6pt-sika »

My gunsmith buddy that has a Class 3 manufacturing and sales license made himself a short barreled 10 gauge . If I’m able to get an 8 gauge I’ll get loading equipment and I have him talked into getting another 10 single to cut down and run a boring bar thru to make an 8 gauge :wink:
5F7298C3-A40F-4C2F-90C6-1C7178E245E7.jpeg
C300D4CB-07C3-44A1-BCEA-D6C44EF805D4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shorty 10 gauge

Post by Pisgah »

I hate to even think about the jam I'd have to be in to ever want to fire that thing! :lol:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yeah, makes me cringe just to think about it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It isn’t that bad actually . He’s made several and sold them in the past . And of course they were all test fired before leaving the shop . The other 10’s were fired with 3 1/2” factory loads but I think he wants to use some of my 2 7/8” buckshot loads . Now if we do a bore out and make an 8 gauge that might be a bit different but who knows until you try .
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow, i would love to watch some one shooting that, how much muzzle flash us there?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

"Door's open... Come on in... "

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'd be interested if you find a source for 8 gauge shells and a boring bar. I've got an Zabala 10 gauge SxS with an extra set of barrels that I'd like to turn into a coach gun. Making it an 8 gauge would be pretty fun! Only gunsmiths I found that would do the work are in England and I wasnt able to find any supply of shells (loaded or empty).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

HawkCreek wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 am I'd be interested if you find a source for 8 gauge shells and a boring bar. I've got an Zabala 10 gauge SxS with an extra set of barrels that I'd like to turn into a coach gun. Making it an 8 gauge would be pretty fun! Only gunsmiths I found that would do the work are in England and I wasnt able to find any supply of shells (loaded or empty).
We have the boring bar well atleast long enough for the barrel length you see . As to a 20” set I don’t think so . Also we can chuck a single barrel in the lathe and bore out okay but a double barrel would be a lot more difficult . If you got it chucked correctly in the lathe I suppose you could do it , but both barrels to bore would need to be chucked off center so to speak and I expect when you started any speed to bore the vibration might be an issue . This whole thing hinges on whether I get the 8 gauge double I’m after then get loading equipment. Otherwise he won’t bother .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW I’ve been told RST loads some 8 gauge shells from time to time . I’ve got a few boxes of their shells but I don’t buy them as a habit as they’re a bit pricey . So I can only imagine what they ask for 8’s . If my memory serves they get about $1.50-$2 a round for 10 gauge with lead shot , 10’s with bismuth are $4 a pop .
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Wow! :o

Don't have to be too particular about the load with that thing, now do ya?

Take out half the neighborhood with your first shot, though.....

-Stretch
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pisgah wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:33 pm I hate to even think about the jam I'd have to be in to ever want to fire that thing! :lol:
+ 1

That's hurts just thinking about it!!! :shock:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I looked for one of these Kimmel Kamper pistol grips in the UK but no dice, I have the shotgun and thought it might come in handy if ever three quarters of my barrel accidentally fell off.

OUTBACK 073.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Instead of a boring bar, maybe a piloted reamer kind of like a chambering reamer, to open the bore from 10 ga to 8 ga.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rockrat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 pm Instead of a boring bar, maybe a piloted reamer kind of like a chambering reamer, to open the bore from 10 ga to 8 ga.
I’m not the one doing the work if this takes place . My gunsmith buddy will be doing it . My only suggestion to him was if he did this set the bar for the chamber and run it straight thru kinda like a back bored trap barrel . Again IF this happens I’ll be the one doing the loading and my loads will be designed for twist/damascus shotguns so pressure won’t be high . That being said in a 13-16 pound double they oughtta be pussycat loads but even if they’re loaded kinda light in the little hand cannon they’ll be stout to say the least . So the idea of being back bored in my opinion certainly wouldn’t hurt .