The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by piller »

Cactus spines are bad. I don't work with drywall screws much. They are good for putting things together.

Tetanus shot at least every 10 years. Cheap enough at a Pharmacy, and usually only minimal wait time without need for an appointment. As long as you are not one of those unlucky few like me, take Tylenol for any pain from it. Tetanus is a bacteria that lives in soil and lots of other places.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WooHoo! Piller wins an '83! So what the heck is an 83?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Usually I'm reminded to get a tetanus booster by someone stepping on a nail, one of the reasons I always wear boots!

Geeze Six I do believe the story of the exploding 86 needs to be told- in detail!!

Went to lowes this morning, place was packed! I grabbed my bag of lawn fertilizer and beat feet. Then went back to the club to pick up where I left off. I landed a real nice 20-22" rainbow. Then everything went down hill from there... lost 3 flies, had a bunch of fish on but didnt land any of them.

Just finished putting the donkey dust on the lawn.

An 83? That's a TC break open rifle! If I remember correctly it was the TCR 83!!?? Six give the man your best TCR83.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

SR 71 Blackbird taking off a few miles from here. I'll drive by later on the way to golf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! Piller wins number #83......you boys know what that means......yep.....he is now a full fledged member of the Gun Room....As they do in motorcycle gangs and the Mafia WE have to give Piller a handle that fits his lifestyle and personality. My uncle was "The Builder".....other people who have crossed my path were known as "Transman", "The Farmer", "Waterman", and others.

"The Farmer" was a personal friend of mine....he was in his seventies when I was in my twenties.....he taught me how to distill whiskey...I'll never do that again...got so drunk I didn't know my name, plus he had the still.

Oh! Back to what's going on.........an 83......nope. don't have an '83 Winchester Hotchkiss so Gunny is going to have to slip by Pitchy's in the dark to snoop around his shed for a prize for Piller.

On the 1886....bothers me a lot to this day.......it was a $4,000 rifle then.....that's all, wounds heal up but the value of the rifle can't be replaced.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...when was that picture taken? I know little of such things and I thought they were obsolete.

Some filthy rich people around here has a WW2 fighter aircraft of some sort...it's loud and fast......I knew that Alex DuPont down in Toughkenamon had a few but he died...P-51's.....my dad used to be the groundskeeper for him after he retired.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff....got your phone message.......mom just told me......got a few more loose ends outside to tie up and I'll call ya....--6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

whaddya mean, "a few more loose ends"... Aren't you supposed to drop everything and answer the phone??? :D :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, that pic was about 1985. They are there on static display now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1985? 35 years ago?????!? Scary Fred......1985 seemed like the other day.

Griff....Incoming!!
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It was just the other day. Time moves faster every year.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The longest year in your life is from 15-16.....from bicycle to four wheels

About a year before my dad passed when I was in my late forties and he was in his late seventies I asked him, "hey dad ...does it seem that life is really long?" He laughed and replied, "seems like yesterday I was hoeing corn fields for .50 a day." (mid thirties)

Me and Griff were chatting and I think he is going to take my advice loading 600 grain bullets in the 44-40.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

85. That was some good times around here. My buds and I were having quite a time back in them days.

Hit the range with the oldest today. That means running semi's. He brought his FAL and an AK with his CZ75 for a pistol. I ran my 10.5" Pistol AR and a Glock 19. I wanted the see if the AR would run on some cheap ammo I got for practice. Ran like a champ as usual. Did some plate runs and mag changes. Little thing is vicious out to about 100yds.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Six is always full of goofy advice when herre, and since you can only believe a third of what he sez, I'll probably stick with 200 grainers!!!

here's what you interrupted:
I gotta say, that honey pecan BBQ sauce is delicious!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The SR was not retired until 1998-99. They obviously have something better and it was much faster than they ever admitted.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Jay...they WERE the days. We all tend to just remember the good times but when you put yourself back in those days they really were great. LOTS less stressful....not as many people looking over your shoulder......mostly everything was paid in cash.....lots less regulations and rules.....I'd like to say the seventies were the last of the good days but they did continue into the eighties....not much.

At work we would carry beer on our forklifts and as long as you didn't advertise it nothing was said.....the
plant would have several lunchroom parties a year..Christmas etc and there was big tubs of beer and ice. The Teamster union hall in Philly would have beer during meetings......one time, believe it was around 1980 or '82 we voted on a contract in a bar! Yea, the Teamsters rented a ballroom (if you want to call it that...a real S hole in Chester, Pa.) and for an hour or two before the vote everyone got good and plastered....Teamsters picked up the bill.

We'd smoke joints in the warehouse and sometimes somebody who recently had a windfall of some type would party up an 8 ball.

Oh well...done days...couldn't handle it anymore even if it was still in the open.

Looks good Griff...as you know, back in the day most people didn't eat that good. While my parents were excellent providers many guys I worked with were not so lucky claiming there would be fights at home on who got to eat the Cheerios with watered down milk.

Fred...finally got around to it.....the bullets are on my dashboard in the Jeep with a 9" x 11" piece of paper on my dresser that's written with large letters, MAIL PACKAGE!

I'm mentally tired.....glad I'm as old as I am....may the Lord bless this younger generation.....they have their work cut out for them.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup, it's true. The 80's were kind of the 70's up here. We lag behind at least a decade from everywhere else. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

:D thanks for the laugh....see ya tomorrow.....nighty night and I hope the bed bugs don't bite.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

NASA continued to use the SR71 after the Air Force put them in moth balls. Same with the U2, there is a newer version of the U2 the air force still uses...or was still using.

Don't go with 600's try 450's as ya get a bit more velocity! :D

Yes the 80's were a fun time, traveling for matches, shooting 1000+ targets a week, yes I was working too!

As for finding a prize for Piller, best I can come up with is a pound of pistachio shells or dog hair dust bunnies :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The B1, B2, U2, F22, F35 all flew out of here. Used to play golf with the U2 guys. Still hear the new version, loud and long. Space shuttle used to land at Edwards, loud double boom when it came down. A patient held the space walk record for a while. Flew in a glider with one of the F16 test pilot instructors and flew in an aerobatic plane with another F16 guy. He is now head test pilot for Boeing . We landed on the dry lake bed where the shuttle landed. He let me try to do a loop in his plane, fell off to the side going over the top and I felt him take over. We used to ski together. The F16 guys flew up to Mammoth one time to check the snow before we rented a place up there. That was all the 80s.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow Fred....you are the "man about town" or more properly, "the man about sky". That would be extremely cool...the glider sounds cool too......always wondered about gliders....what do you do if there's no place to put it down as the elevation of the glider drops?

About the coolest thing I ever did was having my own airplane......it was made from balsa wood and had a rubber band.....that baby was fast. Think the year was about 1961 and in those days not every kid was able to say he had his own plane. Shows how exciting my life was.

Kubota dealer is supposed to pick up the tractor......I'm sweating bullets thinking about the repair bill.......there goes about half the 1895 I sold....---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Few years back I was given a rubber band balsa wood plane. I took it to the bunker one day a I had 6 guys load up their shotguns and I let her rip from inside the bunker. They had a heck of a time trying to shoot it down! Finally after 3 flights one guy shredded it. :D

When I got home today I took the dogs out, saw a chipskunk go under my shop. Sure enough it has a hole bored under the wall. So I grab one of my rat traps and a couple rocks and set it so it can only get out through the trap. Go sit on the deck, look at leverguns and SNAP about 5 minutes later. Love it when a plan comes together!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! "Like it when a plan comes together" "snap!".... that was quite a plan Gunny......did you get Eisenhower, Patton and Montgomery to help plan it?. :D :D ......

Rat traps...now you got me thinking as I need a few of them..I used to catch some big field rats back when we had a fair amount of horses....Don't have any rats now but I'm trying to figure out a way to discourage the foxes around here.....figure if a fox goes running off with one of those on his nose he might think twice......they bring mange with em.....

Well, got into the Rubi today to go up to get diesel for the extremely mighty Kubota......shows 8.5 miles since I filled it last month.
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon May 18, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fun day around here... got up, early, early, ate breakfast, had to go to bank to deposit refund from County Assessor, what a shock THAT was. Had to fight with bank to accept check... told the clerk, hard for my wife to sign since she passed away! Maybe shouldn't have taken her name off the account, but then some scabby scammer would have probably stolen my money!!!

Good news, the rifles shipped, should be here Wednesday!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a trap go missing, figure a squirrel carried it off so now I drill a hole in the trap and tie it off with some 550 para cord!
Parker is my designated trap checker. When I get home and let the girls out I tell her 'Go check trap', if there is something in a trap she barks if not then she goes and takes a leak.

Message from the dealer, they secured the truck and should have it by weeks end!

Rifles? What rifles being shipped ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...what rifles? Gunny..did you buy the new diesel truck? Man! You guys got money.....rifles...trucks...only thing I get is an airplane that uses a rubber band and then I got to sell stuff to eat.....think I'll change my name to Juan or Chico.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm leasing the diesel. If I really like it after the lease is up I'll buy it. 48 months to decide.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK, I get it now....I never understood a lease......I remember guys at work saying it had to be near perfect when they went to turn them in......my take it's better to lease if you make a lot of money and live a clean professional life....as to clean clothes, suit & tie, paved roads, you know, the life that Old Savage leads.....wouldn't go over with me, I'm a blue collar pig with tools hanging out of my pocket plus I fanny burp a lot which leave the drivers seat with a stain on it. But....the doc told me it's good to fanny burp and it's even better if they stink....says it shows your system has the right bacteria in it.

Speaking of docs, mine called today and the wife talked to him...this guy is super cool, in his thirties, shoots, conservative.....just like AJMD here but he's younger. Anyway he tells the wife that I have to come in as it's been last year since I saw him .....back when the 4.5 lb block of wood and my head had a meeting. Kind of a pill pusher though....they all are.....he knows I don't like to take nothing so I get away with two meds I really don't need and I seldom take.....makes me happy when he told me last year I'm the most healthy person of my age group that he has...........I told him it was all the illicit street drugs and beer I consumed up until I was 40...or so. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Took my newly relined Marlin 1897 to the range on Saturday and it shoots itty bitty little half inch groups at 25 yards. As opposed to the , can’t keep 5 shots on a 12 inch by 12 inch target it was shooting before. My brother and nephews brought me 7.5 pounds of trout fillets Saturday so I smoked them yesterday. Marinade in a sweet and spicy brine then smoked with apple wood AND the key... every 45 minutes for the last 2 and a half hours I basted each fillet with maple syrup. OH MY!
Gunny the check arrived and I have possession of your items.👍
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Got the old Jeep mostly ready. I was out tinkering with it today and Zoey piled in the passenger seat with a "well let's go" look on her face.
Just had to take her for a ride. She is nuts over the Jeep and gets downright grumpy if the hardtop is on or the doors and windows in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Lets say I'm much much more careful with a leased vehicle than if I had bought it! I have the option to buy but the monthly payment would be about $750 ! Of course that's at 0% fo 72 months. Lease is a good deal less than that.

D'oh - I forgot all about that check Tom! It's good so don't worry... I had completely forgotten about our deal!! Can never have enough 28 ga ammo!

Of all my dogs, only 2 haven't liked going for a ride, Dixie would sit on the seat and stare at the floor, never stuck her nose out the window! Dixie never swam either- that's why we said she was 'SPECIAL '( short bus special)
Parker likes to ride but she has to be in a crate, otherwise she gets very nervous.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I leased once, did not like the forced decision at the end.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jeep is in the shop, electronic throttle control.

But first omelette. Six, show this to Mom. Carbon steel pan is only a couple months old.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred.....just got back from the docs......but first.....

The omelette ...yes, looks super .....even better as I'm hungry as heck......mom asks what the eyeballs are for....

$750 for a monthly payment?....that's not far from my total income.......my first new car was a '74 Nova and the payments were $43.50 a month....I made double payments of $87 and paid it off in 18 months....

Jay....the Rubi looks clean despite your hard four wheeling. Is that your cousin in the front seat?

Tom......any decent .22 will do that at 50 yards.

Well....ain't seen the doc since about this time last year......he says that whatever I'm doing keep doing it as my BP is lower than his and he is 38....and I had a dark roast coffee and a wad of Skoal....120/74

Gotta change the blades on the Kubota...hit a mega rock the other day.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Black olives.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had to go up to town today... out of sodas... noticed the registration on the Dually was up... last month! Gads, what a rigamarole... first get it state inspected, then to the clerk's office to pay the annual... Apparently they just opened back up, forgave the past due... and VIOLA!!! there NO LINE! That's gotta be a first.

Oh well... shopping on line for a new horse trailer... or more likely a "new-to-me" one! Wanna keep it under 10 years old, comfortable living quarters model, gooseneck and well, I can register it as a farm vehicle! The horse part can double as a toy hauler... and now that I have my lifetime National Park pass... maybe do some camping! Whole bunches of places in TX that I want to visit! Now I just need to find a little chippie to take care of the cleaning and whatnot!!! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Eye ball omelets- that's a French thing Six!!

So I got a 1/2" splinter today- hurt 3 times more than the fish hook being yanked out !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! You get to have aaallllll the fun. Yea.....once or twice in a lifetime you get to be first in line at any government building...don't happen often.

Shame on the horse trailer.....my BIL sold his gooseneck all aluminum trailer two years ago....he had it for 15 years and may have been used 3 times. Dang thing sat outback in the weeds all those years and as you know, aluminum don't rust. He's one of those guys who spends his money on impulse and to impress when he has money in his pocket...a month or two later he's asking people for gas money.

My little 5 x 10 trailer was made by a company in Texas....PJ's..........-6

Gunny...your on a roll dude! Watch out for the next splinter....3's a charm........might come from a pneumatic nail gun.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:38 pm Eye ball omelets- that's a French thing Six!!

So I got a 1/2" splinter today- hurt 3 times more than the fish hook being yanked out !!

:shock: Whew! I have to read slower! I just freaked myself out.
Half inch SPLINTER.
I thought it was ......half inch SPHINCTER! :D
Funny how just a couple letters can completely change the meaning of a sentence.........and what I think of Gunny! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually a couple weeks ago I had a framing nail from a nail gun bend, come through the face of the 2x4 and center my left thumb pad! That hurt more than the fish hook too!!

1/2" sphincter!!!??? Sure ain't a democrap- those are all sphincter :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:00 pm Half inch SPLINTER.
I thought it was ......half inch SPHINCTER! :D
Funny how just a couple letters can completely change the meaning of a sentence.........and what I think of Gunny! :D
Ha! I like Dat! To be honest I don't even know how to spell that...I just call it an a.............

H.

Well.....we have splinters, sphincter, fish eye balls and horse trailers.......I'd say we are all intellectuals!

I got more aggravation......called the Kubota dealer up yesterday to make an appointment to come get my tractor so I hurried up and cut the grass...they said they will call me in an hour or two....they never called back! I call them back today and no one knows anything. Have to call tomorrow when "Dusty" comes in. Then the wife's phone stops working and asks me what's wrong....sheeeeeeetttttt I tell her I still use a rotary phone.........then I take the dog out back to help me reconfigure the little stream I have.....dog takes off a hundred miles an hour and I trip over some skunk cabbage trying to chase her down....(worried she might run to the road).....and now Jay starts talking about sphincters, Gunny has more splinters, Griffs moving in a horse trailer and Old Savage is eating fish eyes......wonder what Tommy Gun is doing.......

Ooooooooo..... feel a little rumbling going on....the old sphincter is about to grow from a half inch to three inches,,,real fast...BOOOOOOOMMMM,!

I'm 65?
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of my patients was a construction supervisor on the job site where this happened in 2004..

$805 for a new electronic throttle control body ... installed !!! Pick up tomorrow on the Jeep..

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

August 22nd is when the Gun Room replaced the old defunct and intellectually inferior Garand Post which was up to IIRC 99 pages. We are gonna break that timeline easily. Remember now, no bad words, have respect, and write intelligently and we will charge past page 100 by the end of June. :D

Oh come on Fred....look at the mouth/teeth......sticking out...that is...wait! It's true!!!

https://www.nsta.org/publications/news/ ... x?id=52587
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

$805 for a throttle control body? Ahhhhh ain't gonna comment.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mozzarella meatballs ;-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Fred....what's in the meatballs besides meat?......the superintendent wants to know and if you get her approval, you will be elevated as a "prospect" in the Mafia world....you will need a handle and a name change that ends in "i" or "o".---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Beef, Italian sausage, egg, onion, green pepper, garlic salt, worchestershire, black pepper, ketchup, cracker crumbs.

I am already consigliere to the So Cal Lo Piccolos. Formerly headed by Rocky, Big Tony and now Phil. They have Chicago connections. Should you check they are Sicilian.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok. I've held off a long time to say this, cause I wanted to be sure.
Our buddy OS is the hippest, most worldly guy I have known.
Meatballs.....heads full if screws....Sicilian mob.....
Hands down.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :D

Rock On, Fred!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:19 pm Black olives.
Cockroach slices. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Griff wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm I had to go up to town today... out of sodas... noticed the registration on the Dually was up... last month! Gads, what a rigamarole... first get it state inspected, then to the clerk's office to pay the annual... Apparently they just opened back up, forgave the past due... and VIOLA!!! there NO LINE! That's gotta be a first.

Oh well... shopping on line for a new horse trailer... or more likely a "new-to-me" one! Wanna keep it under 10 years old, comfortable living quarters model, gooseneck and well, I can register it as a farm vehicle! The horse part can double as a toy hauler... and now that I have my lifetime National Park pass... maybe do some camping! Whole bunches of places in TX that I want to visit! Now I just need to find a little chippie to take care of the cleaning and whatnot!!! :lol:
You should go out to Amarillo and go see that little hole in the ground. The Palo Duro. Not as big as the one in Arizona, but pretty nice.
D. Brian Casady