Suppressor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Suppressor

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the paperwork for my Yankee Hill 30 cal can finally came thru . And it only took 10 months :shock: My 338 can app went in last September so I suppose that should come thru in two months . God only knows when my 22LR can goes thru that was put in four months ago :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Suppressor

Post by gamekeeper »

The only good thing I can say about UK gun laws is that anyone can put a suppressor on any rifle or shotgun without much hassle. I have one on my semi auto.22 at the moment.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Suppressors should be available for all guns without so much hassle. Saving our hearing should be a worthwhile intent. Because of Hollywood BS there are too many people who think that suppressors do the impossible. They do lower the amount of noise to manageable levels.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm Suppressors should be available for all guns without so much hassle. Saving our hearing should be a worthwhile intent. Because of Hollywood BS there are too many people who think that suppressors do the impossible. They do lower the amount of noise to manageable levels.
+ infinity!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep saying I need to get one or two of those.......they will NEVER be a non NFA item here in the states......too much money to be made for the Feds ...that and the "Gangsta culture" would abuse it.---6
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm Suppressors should be available for all guns without so much hassle. Saving our hearing should be a worthwhile intent. Because of Hollywood BS there are too many people who think that suppressors do the impossible. They do lower the amount of noise to manageable levels.
especially on revolvers! :wink: (according to hollywood movies)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think ALL gun barrels (except revolvers :wink: ) should be threaded....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 am I think ALL gun barrels (except revolvers :wink: ) should be threaded....!
Uh h..e..l..l NO ! I want these off balance things purely for killing stuff . And only during damage control where you can get a bunch of shots closely placed . Also when we do it at night it’s better for neighbor relations . I can imagine being awakened around midnight or so by semi close gunfire because we’re out assasinating deer or coyotes . Dunno why I bought the one for 22 rim fire as I don’t have a threaded barrel 22 rim fire and NO nothing I have will be threaded I’ll just pick up a threaded bolt action CZ at some point .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 am
AJMD429 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 am I think ALL gun barrels (except revolvers :wink: ) should be threaded....!
Uh h..e..l..l NO ! I want these off balance things purely for killing stuff . And only during damage control where you can get a bunch of shots closely placed . Also when we do it at night it’s better for neighbor relations . I can imagine being awakened around midnight or so by semi close gunfire because we’re out assasinating deer or coyotes . Dunno why I bought the one for 22 rim fire as I don’t have a threaded barrel 22 rim fire and NO nothing I have will be threaded I’ll just pick up a threaded bolt action CZ at some point .
Totally agree, I only use mine when I don't wish to let neighbours know I'm about.....the unwanted weight on the muzzle is a pain.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd like to own a suppressed .22 rifle, but nothing I own makes a good candidate. I'd have to buy a gun specifically for this, and then put in for a supressor approval.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Yankee Hill 30 cal can on my Remington 700 5R in 260 REM with the amazingly good EL Cheapo Athlon 6-24x50 scope . This thing with my hunting handloads is a consistent 1/4 MOA rifle . It does have a Timeny Calvin trigger that’s set at about 7-9 ounces so that doesn’t hurt :wink:
EADB05CA-4D83-4059-9325-94040C714994.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

I bought a 22 suppressor when my state first allowed them. It was fun for a few months but I haven't used it for years. It was a waste of money in my case.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Threading a barrel doesn't affect 'balance'.

Adding the suppressor does. Just put it on when the 'balance' is less important than the 'noise' - otherwise leave it off. Better yet if the gun is a fine, accurate one, slip on a 'bird cage flash suppressor' or other compact lightweight crown protector.

As for 22 LR, it is the one cartridge you really CAN make 'silent' with a suppressor - so for my 22 LR needs, I simply bought an integrally-suppressed replacement barrel for a Ruger 10/22, and it takes about 5 minutes to swap it onto any 10/22. In my case, I put it on my 96/22 LEVERGUN, so there wouldn't even be the 'action noise' to deal with. It is spooky-quiet. Shooting at a snow-bank 100 yards away in the winter you will hear nothing more than the reflected sound from the snow bank...!

It took about 5 minutes extra to hand-file the second extractor-groove the lever-action Ruger 96/22's have that the 10/22 semiautos lack.

Thompson Machine and Tool - 'Operative' - http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14

Takedown version - https://youtu.be/AgLm7rSg5JA (I want one in 9mm for the 8mmCharger....!)

Short version for 'Charger' or SBR - https://youtu.be/TITMtpKVilU
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm Threading a barrel doesn't affect 'balance'.
You are correct in that threading doesn’t affect balance , BUT I DO NOT thread if it wasn’t done at the factory I don’t do it . At the risk of sounding like a snob most of my stuff has a certain amount of collector value and to be honest I don’t want that counter weight hanging off the front of my nice walnut and blued steel rifles .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have anything with a threaded barrel. I need to rectify that and get a muffler for a gun. I have lost a lot of hearing, and a suppressor would help me to keep what I have left. As far as collector value, not really one of my priorities. Nothing against it, and I support guns having value. Just not my priority.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 am I don't have anything with a threaded barrel. I need to rectify that and get a muffler for a gun. I have lost a lot of hearing, and a suppressor would help me to keep what I have left. As far as collector value, not really one of my priorities. Nothing against it, and I support guns having value. Just not my priority.
I'd say a LARGE percentage of my retirement fund is tied up in collector value guns , I already sold off all of the high dollar Marlin's IE pre 1930 guns . I may this summer prune off most of the Civil War stuff . All the shotguns I use have collector value within reason . Me preferring stuff like I have now stems from my father when I first started buying guns . I was told at a young age if I bought a shotgun it better be a SxS Parker Smith Fox along those lines if O/U it better be a Browning Superposed none of the Japanese stuff that was flooding the marker in the 70's . For rifles he was adamant about Winchesters being Pre 64 period . He didn't wanna see 870's or 1100's in the house but he'd tolerate a Model 12 or a Browning A-5 provided the 12 was Pre 64 and the A-5 was Belgian made . I understand people buy guns for a variety of parameters , I buy them to use them but I wanna use ones that will maintain their value or hopefully increase in value a bit .
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Even available at all, the only thing people in IL might "poach" is politicians.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well suppressor #2 showed up today or rather the approval did ! It’s a Griffin Armament for my 338 Federals .
8E1A9F99-E958-4DDA-ACB1-667B148A1E02.jpeg
0E390CAA-4A30-42D5-B30F-84403B200EF8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That’s the Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Federal and I have an AR-10 in 338 Federal . I plan on getting thermal optics for the AR and use it at night during damage control .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m sure the 22LR one will be awhile as I put in for that one in January I believe .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 pmI plan on getting thermal optics for the AR and use it at night during damage control .
What thermals have you looked at...?

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:17 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 pmI plan on getting thermal optics for the AR and use it at night during damage control .
What thermals have you looked at...?
It’s a slightly newer version of what my gunsmith buddy has . I think it’s not the least expensive and by no means the most expensive . Last time we looked I think they were around $2800 dealer cost . I think the one in the link I’m posting is what I was looking at before , we have someone we get them from for a slightly better price . https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866418139
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used my friends for the first time about a year ago . To be honest I’d turned my nose up at plunking deer at night with this stuff but after plunking a few I kinda changed my tune .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Last year when I used my friends thermal he has it on his AR-10 308 so I thought if I went this route I wanted to use an AR-10 in 338 Federal which I have so more then likely if I get the scope it’ll go on the AR . Although before I do I wanna try my AR in 260 and the one in 338 on paper at 200 and 250 yards . Oh yeah I almost forgot my gunsmith buddy recently got a new AR-10 upper in 300 WIN Short Mag so if I’m not mistaken his thermal is on that now .
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

6pt, if you applied in January you probably won’t see it this year. BATFE cashed my check on October 1,2019. I called them March 3, 2020. I was told my application is “on track.” We are experiencing a 12-14 month backlog. Call us again in August. AAArrrgh. But you can buy a “fuel filter” on eBay and have it in a week. Sometimes doing things legally makes you understand why people do things illegally.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Ok! yall caught my attention. Do you need approval from government to buy a internally suppressed barrel for a rifle? sound like something i might check into. shooting my 22 at home instead of the range could work for me. Kinda leary of my neighbor. nice guy but not sure they call the cops and try the red flag law on me. dont need that, have too many guns to let go over some stupid stuff.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 pm 6pt, if you applied in January you probably won’t see it this year. BATFE cashed my check on October 1,2019. I called them March 3, 2020. I was told my application is “on track.” We are experiencing a 12-14 month backlog. Call us again in August. AAArrrgh. But you can buy a “fuel filter” on eBay and have it in a week. Sometimes doing things legally makes you understand why people do things illegally.
i agree, and government wonders why they are so much illegal sufff going on! :roll:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 pm 6pt, if you applied in January you probably won’t see it this year. BATFE cashed my check on October 1,2019. I called them March 3, 2020. I was told my application is “on track.” We are experiencing a 12-14 month backlog. Call us again in August. AAArrrgh. But you can buy a “fuel filter” on eBay and have it in a week. Sometimes doing things legally makes you understand why people do things illegally.
The two I just got took about ten and nine months . As to the 22 rim fire suppressor that’s kinda a moot point as I need to buy a CZ factory threaded bolt gun to put it on . Actually that’s not true I have an AR 22LR I can use it on .
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

rossim92 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:34 am Ok! yall caught my attention. Do you need approval from government to buy a internally suppressed barrel for a rifle? sound like something i might check into. shooting my 22 at home instead of the range could work for me. Kinda leary of my neighbor. nice guy but not sure they call the cops and try the red flag law on me. dont need that, have too many guns to let go over some stupid stuff.
Yes, if you want an handgun the I *think* they still make the Ruger MKII, just wish I could own one
I do however have a machine shop and even the soaker cases or whatever they call them with baffles on ebay, I'm told work quite well.
Enough you have to put in a polymer buffer so you don't hear a 10/22 slam or so I'm told.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well five of us are out for the first day of damage control. One guy plunked a doe about an hour ago . Think we’re staying until 10ish or so .
DD9BD049-21AD-40E1-B2BB-AD97F0612DC0.jpeg
CE7CD734-141A-4386-B775-D2502F00ED51.jpeg
3CCF3737-323B-45CD-BF35-EB48ED8A5DE1.jpeg
165048AB-D033-4835-A722-E6E83DF16156.jpeg
BD225764-F627-44D5-9088-126B4F7C7F52.jpeg
BFBA447F-78F5-44F5-A9FA-6A420FBD8240.jpeg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's one of the coolest integrally-suppressed 22 LR's I've seen - https://youtu.be/AgLm7rSg5JA

Where you get them - http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14

I just got the plain "Operative" barrel-only, designed for the Ruger 10/22 - but since I had a LEVERGUN Ruger 96/22 - I hand-filed the second extractor groove (took 5 minutes), and installed the single-extractor-groove 10/22 Operative on my Ruger 96/22.

It is SPOOKY quiet......shoot a snowbank at 100 yards and you basically hear nothing. At most, the hammer impacting the firing pin. None of the 'clunk' of the semiauto action.... 8)

Now I would love to have this OTHER rimfire version . . . https://youtu.be/TEf6Tt8IXPs

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We plunked four all told tonight . My gunsmith buddy and I were one place he got one at 60 yards with his suppressed 308 Bullpup . Then I plunked one at 132 yards and he shot one at about 135 . The fourth a guy not sitting with us got ! All of those were shot during daylight . Incidentally they’re all in the freezer now .
8C6071FC-5585-4E8F-95A5-125B66D1D30D.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used my friends extra night rifle it’s a CZ527 HB in 6.5 Grendel with night vision optics . I have the same rifle but mine doesn’t have night vision or thermal optics .
30B110B5-8452-4C54-A436-3291FD28A8F5.jpeg