How did henry get so popular?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Galloway
Levergunner

How did henry get so popular?

Post by Galloway »

I've been browsing some distributor websites and have noticed they all got a couple winchester models and a few marlins and then a ton of various henrys available. Lever actions are sort of a niche market now days, it seems odd that a newer player who started out making 22's and borrowing from the herny name is doing so well. I have nothing against them, it just seems like winchester would be making that money offering the wide classic product line?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How did henry get so popular?

Post by stretch »

Henry's probably so popular for a couple of reasons.

1. They're interested in making guns. Their primary focus is not making shareholders a 10% return in a 2% economy.
2. They make really nice guns at reasonable prices.
3. Their customer service is terrific. They're interested in their customers and they want their products to work for those customers.
They are less interested in pinching a penny here and there at the expense of customer satisfaction.
4. They listen to their customers, and rectify faults that the customers are having; not the faults that the bean counters
think the customers are having.
5. They're really, really enthusiastic about their guns AND their customers. Henry isn't a sideline of some foreign-owned corporation
trading on the old brand name. That enthusiasm is infectious.
6. Their customer service is terrific.

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

stretch wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 am Henry's probably so popular for a couple of reasons.

1. They're interested in making guns. Their primary focus is not making shareholders a 10% return in a 2% economy.
3. Their customer service is terrific. They're interested in their customers and they want their products to work for those customers.
They are less interested in pinching a penny here and there at the expense of customer satisfaction.
4. They listen to their customers, and rectify faults that the customers are having; not the faults that the bean counters
5. They're really, really enthusiastic about their guns AND their customers. Henry isn't a sideline of some foreign-owned corporation

-Stretch

I agree, Henry Repeating Arms make good quality firearms and their customer service is first class.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

They respond better than most to customer comments about more product.

I was also surprised at how much outdoor advertising they have at non-firearms venues. All over the place at Road America.
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Henry's CEO is a gun guy! Been one his whole life, and that base seems to permeate the whole business.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Larkbill wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:37 pm They respond better than most to customer comments about more product.

I was also surprised at how much outdoor advertising they have at non-firearms venues. All over the place at Road America.
Let's not forget the infomercial! Or all of the tribute guns!
I like my 41 Big Boy ! Sure wish they would bring out a 25-20 &32-20 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:56 pm
Larkbill wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:37 pm ! Sure wish they would bring out a 25-20 &32-20 !
Amen!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a couple, including a survival rifle. My survival rifle bought at a Cabelas in Allen, TX had a bent barrel when purchased. The salesman wouldn't let me put it together and see it. I contacted Henry as soon as I discovered the bent barrel. They sent me a new one that is perfect. No charge. It is lots of fun and accurate enough for what it is intended for. If they could make it in .22 Magnum it would be even better. My Henry .22 LR lever action is a great gun. Accurate and fun, plus quiet with the Colibri rounds.

The .327 Magnum is fun, also.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Henry’s from the 1860’s I like A LOT 8) The ones coming from the present manufacturer not so much , but then I’m not much on new stuff except for Kimber 1911’s at the present .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Henrys are made in AMERICA.
You're right! :D

I alluded to that, but didn't explicitly state it.....

They used to source all of their walnut from Missouri. Don't know if they
still do. Mr. Imperato makes a huge effort to keep things in this country and
keep Americans employed. I'm sure the rifles could be made cheaper overseas.
But there are many things more important than just the price.......

-Tom
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:17 pm My Henry .22 LR lever action is a great gun. Accurate and fun, plus quiet with the Colibri rounds.
Bought my grand-daughter a Henry .22 Levergun. I have been shooting it more than her! As you said, with the Colibri ammo it is silent! And they feed flawlessly! What a hoot. Been using it on pests ... so far they are 4-legged ones .....
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

For most all the reasons already posted is why I own 3 Henry rifles
If they come out with a 32-20 I will own one more for sure !

Brad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A .32/20 would certainly get my interest... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I don't own a Henry, but I admire that they are willing to try something different. Many users like their tube loading feature, and their actions are smooth variations of the Hepburn-Marlins. The Long Ranger is a nice development, too.

I do wish they'd hire a good industrial designer. Their guns all have a blocky appearance which doesn't go with their fit and finish. The graceful curves and transitions of the 1800s Winchesters is missing.

Regardless, my hat off to them. I go by their site every year to see if they have something new to tempt me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There are two kinds of Italians......the ones in Italy and the ones in The U.S. of A.........Lou Imperato and his son Tony, founders of the Henry Repeating Arms business are Americans of Italian heritage.....These Italians are the ones who should be making the guns you buy....but..that's my opinion and it's just an opinion........and I'm Italian.....from the U.S. of A.

I hear very little complaints from the multitude of shooters I'm around on the Henry's....they make an excellent product at a reasonable price along with excellent customer service......which is the only thing any company needs to do in order to be successful.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six I believe the fine Italians at Perazzi, Beretta and Rizzini among others would disagree about not making very high quality firearms!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have the henry .22 magnum pump action with a octagon barell :D , just like the good old shooting gallery days, but with a .22 magnum instead
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

While i cannot offer the uninhibited cheerleading for Henry offered above for several reasons, none of which have to do with quality, I will offer this: by all accounts it is rarity I America today, a well-run business, which includes customer service, product enthusiasm and, it would appear to me, attention to distribution, wholesalers, and stockists. I would say HRA is proud of its products, understands the gun trade, and pays attention to it. Sadly, a rather unique approach.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I was after my Big Boy in 41 mag there wasnt one to be found locally. Dealer tried the usual wholesaler's and was told to wait for a production run, months maybe. I sent an email to Henry, asking about production and within hours Mr Imperato replied saying that he was going to make sure my rifle was shipped ASAP to my dealer. Sure enough within about 10 days I had the rifle in hand.THAT is how business should be conducted.
That was almost enough to get me to apply for a job with Henry( head office is only 55 miles away) but the commute alone would have caused me to go nuts!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Popular? What planet are you on? I have hunted the Vermont woods for 65 years and the only Henry I have seen is the new side gate I own. I hauled it around last deer season and it will not return to the woods again. With a scope, mounts and sling it is way too heavy. Most of the Henry products need to go on a diet! I will revert back to my Winchester 94 30-30 and my Browning A-Bolt 308. Way easier to tote. Concerning the side gate models there is a functional flaw in them that could get somebody hurt. When using the tube feature to unload the last round sticks and will not co me out without tapping the muzzle on the floor. This has been mentioned on a few U- tube videos and I have duplicated that with my gun. You could easily end up with a live round in a gun you think is empty. When I unload I lever through the action to ensure an empty gun. Must be side gate model related as the tube only models don't have that issue.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I dont know. With their pot metal "steel" and garish brass receivers. Ridiculous tube loading and hack job Marlin clone look, its beyond me how they got popular. I dont care where they are made, their CS is so great because their QC is apparently lacking.
bdbrown66
Levergunner

Post by bdbrown66 »

HawkCreek wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:51 pm I dont know. With their pot metal "steel" and garish brass receivers. Ridiculous tube loading and hack job Marlin clone look, its beyond me how they got popular. I dont care where they are made, their CS is so great because their QC is apparently lacking.
Please, good sir, show me the pot metal steel and/or garish brass receiver.
IMG_20180822_110751a.jpg
Or maybe you'd prefer this one.
IMG_20200519_142356.jpg
Either way, the results speak for themselves.
82975412_10206730372694465_1709862949104910336_n.jpg
IMG_20191111_173334.jpg
46837430_10205216606771263_5827269781622882304_n.jpg
IMG_20170305_074319.jpg
I'll keep my Henry's, thank you very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Brian

Henry 45-70 CCH
Henry .45 Colt CCH
Henry .45 Colt BBS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

^^^^Right on bdbrown66!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^

I own two Henry .22s and LOVE them. Very smooth and accurate. Beautiful guns.

Just the other day, my friend told me that his two boys were saving up so that they could go in together and buy a .22 rifle.

I asked if they would like to go shooting so we went out to a friends farm. The first rifle I pulled out was the Henry youth .22. They boys all thought it was super cool looking. I taught their younger brother how to shoot it and then the older boys took turns. They loved it. THEN.... I pulled out the Henry Frontier octagon .22 with a scope mounted and they literally gasped at its majesty, haha! All the boys including my son took turns shooting for a couple hours until it started getting dark.

Also, a couple of the earlier responses mentioned that they would buy a Henry if one offered in 32-20. Let me point out that they do offer a really slick lever gun in 327 Fed Mag, which is balistically equivalent to a hot loaded 32-20. I know some of you are purists and like the old stuff, but the 327 Fed is a really neat caliber. I own a Ruger SP101 in 327 and it is a pretty potent little round! Loaded ammo is cheaper and more powerful than factory 32-20, and the straightwalled cases are easier to load. You can also download if you please and/or shoot 32 H&R, etc. If I had the disposable cash right now, I'll take a Henry in 327mag. Federal is now developing a 327 grain load specifically for the Henry rifle!
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

I was wondering when this subject would come up on the forum. The Henry guns to this 70-something are atrocious,clubby, Winchester/Marlin wannabees! Even the new Marlins have it all over them. My brother-in-law is manager of a large gun shop and we have discussed the matter many times. Almost all the Henry buyers are newbees to the gun hobby, and have little knowledge or appreciation of the quality of the older lever-guns. The barrels are three times heavier than necessary, the wood-to-metal fit is horrible, brass plated receivers, etc. There's no denying their popularity, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they look like something you would expect to be made in N.Y.C./Bayonne, NJ!!! I'll continue to put my money in good ol' pre-war Winnies and Marlins, thank you.
bdbrown66
Levergunner

Post by bdbrown66 »

65bee wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm I was wondering when this subject would come up on the forum. The Henry guns to this 70-something are atrocious,clubby, Winchester/Marlin wannabees! Even the new Marlins have it all over them. My brother-in-law is manager of a large gun shop and we have discussed the matter many times. Almost all the Henry buyers are newbees to the gun hobby, and have little knowledge or appreciation of the quality of the older lever-guns. The barrels are three times heavier than necessary, the wood-to-metal fit is horrible, brass plated receivers, etc. There's no denying their popularity, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they look like something you would expect to be made in N.Y.C./Bayonne, NJ!!! I'll continue to put my money in good ol' pre-war Winnies and Marlins, thank you.
Lol. I'm no gun newbie, by a long shot. And before I bought my first Henry, I compared it to an equivalent Marlin. There was no comparison, not even close. Fit, finish, smoothness of action, you name it. Not. Even. Close.

I'm sure the older Marlins, Winnie's, etc. were well-made. But current production and in the sub-$1000 price range goes to Henry.
Cheers,
Brian

Henry 45-70 CCH
Henry .45 Colt CCH
Henry .45 Colt BBS
bdbrown66
Levergunner

Post by bdbrown66 »

P.S. The Henry centerfire rifles are made in Rice Lake, WI...not in NJ.
Cheers,
Brian

Henry 45-70 CCH
Henry .45 Colt CCH
Henry .45 Colt BBS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 1950s Marlin in .35 Rem, and a 1950s Win in .32 Special. Both are great firearms. My wife has a Henry in .327 Magnum. It doesn't feel any heavier than the other two, and it is just as slick to operate. I like them all. I like the Henry guns, and plan to get one of the Long Rangers in .308. If someone doesn't like Henry rifles, well, that is their choice. A little over 26 years ago, I passed on a chance to buy a Colt Python. I didn't like the feel of the grip. If I had known how much they would go up in cost, I would have bought it and put it away to sell when the price went up. I probably would have never shot it. I don't like them. My opinion. Just as with the Henry guns, some like them, some don't.
D. Brian Casady
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

let me tell a little story that kind of supports both sides of the argument about Henrys.

when I was young, we lived in a shotgun only area. However, my dad had his fathers old (1903) winchester 94 that I would frequently fondle. I thought that it was the coolest gun in the world.

In around 2000, as a young adult, I moved to a rifle county and my first order of business was to get a rifle, and I knew exactly what I wanted - a winchester 94 in 30-30. So, I started going to gun shops with plans to purchase. However, the rifles that I handled were nothing like my grandpas old 1894. They seemed cheap and loose and rattly. I'm sure they were perfectly fine, but they just weren't doing it for me. So, I started asking to look at the marlins on the shelf, and those seemed really nice compared to the winchesters. I ended up buying a Marlin 336C in 30-30 (for $350!!!) and it has been an absolute deer slayer. I love it. awesome gun. Tight and slick and accurate.

However, today, 20 years later, the marlins now seem to be a shadow of their former self and if I were to buy a NEW levergun, it would be a Henry.

So like someone said, in their respective primes, winchesters and marlins were probably nicer, but today, I think Henry has it.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I love my old Winchesters. The new Henrys are NOT pre 64 Winchesters! They are modern, made in America Henrys. I still love my old Winchesters, BUT,,,,

Henry's customer service is stellar. Several years ago, I bought a used Henry 22 from a private party. It was a nice gun and shot accurately, so I gave it to my son in law so my grandsons would have a nice 22 to shoot. After shooting it for a while, the plastic front barrel band with the front sight on it broke. My SIL asked me where to get a replacement part and I told him I had heard about this problem, and that Henry would replace it. He called Henry and within a week or two, he had a metal barrel band to replace the broken one. NO CHARGE. That is how you build customer loyalty and a reputation for great customer service in my opinion.

I don't own any modern levers other than my BLR that I bought in 1977. In my opinion I would rather have a nice old gun than pay more money for a new gun. YMMV!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

FLINT wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm ^^^^Right on bdbrown66!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^

Also, a couple of the earlier responses mentioned that they would buy a Henry if one offered in 32-20. Let me point out that they do offer a really slick lever gun in 327 Fed Mag, which is balistically equivalent to a hot loaded 32-20. I know some of you are purists and like the old stuff, but the 327 Fed is a really neat caliber. I own a Ruger SP101 in 327 and it is a pretty potent little round! Loaded ammo is cheaper and more powerful than factory 32-20, and the straightwalled cases are easier to load. You can also download if you please and/or shoot 32 H&R, etc. If I had the disposable cash right now, I'll take a Henry in 327mag. Federal is now developing a 327 grain load specifically for the Henry rifle!
That 115 grain flat nose lead bullet for the .32-20 out of the .327 Magnum is moving pretty good out of PillHer's Henry. She puts 6 rounds in about a 3 inch circle standing unsupported at 50 yards. Off the bench it would probably be better, and scoped would help as we are both no longer spring chickens.
With the .32-20 having more case capacity but a much lower pressure limit, the final velocity out of a rifle barrel is probably close to even. The .327 is easy to reload. I use a carbide die, and am careful to check the powder weight about every tenth throw. The small case capacity does not give much room for error. WSP primers work well for me. Unique is the smokiest of the powders I have used.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 pm With the .32-20 having more case capacity but a much lower pressure limit, the final velocity out of a rifle barrel is probably close to even.
I have not followed the 327 out of a rifle. In my Marlin 32-20 I ran the 120 gr. cast bullets right at 2000 fps and 100 gr. JHP's at 2140 or so. They were accurate and worked well on Javelina, coyotes, dogs and cats.
vonfilm
Levergunner

Post by vonfilm »

I just purchased my first Henry, a Steel Big Boy Carbine in .327 Fed Mag. The steel versions are much lighter than the brass ones. This Carbine only weighs 6.5 pounds. The fit and finish is excellent. The action is smooth and slick from the factory and I believe they look better in person than in pictures. I agree that the lines are not as good as a 1886 or 1892 Winchester, but it does not have a safety like a Rossi or Miroku. The street price was $675, which I believe to be a great deal.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm
stretch wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 am Henry's probably so popular for a couple of reasons.

-Stretch

I agree, Henry Repeating Arms make good quality firearms and their customer service is first class.
All this is true and add.... remlin marlins are poor quality, Winchesters are made in Japan and Uberti is also not american made. Then there is Rossi with a limited selection of rifles and sometimes a quality problem.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

So I put my money where my mouth is and bought younger son a Henry 22.

He loves it! :D

So does Dad..... :mrgreen:

-Stretch
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When I got the Henry Youth model .22 this spring I didn't like the way the rear sight blade lined up, it was crooked. I e-mailed them and received a new one in the mail in 5 days. at the same time I ordered a catalog and it came in I think two weeks , it in itself is a piece of work a full 99 pages that is very well done. a week after it came I got an e-mail from Henry to make sure it arrived . Old fashioned good business and taking care of the customer always works.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

7. They are not OWNED by some larger conglomerate, so they actually respond to customers rather than spreadsheets.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:27 pmThat's why it makes me laugh when people argue Winchester vs Rossi or Chiappa model 92s and/or Winchester vs Uberti in model 66s and 73s. You're talking Japchesters vs Brazchesters vs Wopchesters. None of them are American.
:lol: So true....I love your terms....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "