African Adventure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

African Adventure

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: African Adventure

Post by GunnyMack »

That was my Jack Russell Terrier every day !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Love it! Poor old rhino, being attacked by an apex predator!

May I have your permission to post this pic on a couple of African hunting forums? I would not divulge the source.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Terriers are some of the bravest creatures on the planet. I sure wouldn't want to stop my half Chihuahua/half Dachshund from beating up a rhino as she is as brave as any JRT. The rhino might run from her, but I am a bigger less agile slow moving target.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

crs wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:05 pm Love it! Poor old rhino, being attacked by an apex predator!

May I have your permission to post this pic on a couple of African hunting forums? I would not divulge the source.
It is not mine so feel free. A friend emailed it to me. I have no idea where it came from. ENJOY!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller said "Terriers are the bravest creatures on the planet".

True, but that may not be the wisest.

Some years ago, my mom had a feisty little house dog named Tiger that I inherited when she passed away. One it day escaped into my back yard and made the mistake of taking it too far with my German Short hair Pointer; a casual snap to the head and it was over. I saw it and tried to intervene, but it happened so fast that I was not able to stop it. Buried the little dog the next day. Glad my mom did not see that.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Some years back a lady in Philly had a yorkie that attacked a German Shepard and the big dog killed it. The lady, depressed, went down to Atlantic City and won a million dollars on the slots.----6
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Since switching to Windoz 10 I can't see some pics. No idea why either. Jim can't see the action .. :(

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No idea Joe.
I refuse Windoz 10 ..
I have my old machine set so it cannot update ... rewrote part of the registry to keep anyone or anything from updating it. It will last until I am gone and that's all I want.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

JimT wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am No idea Joe.
I refuse Windoz 10 ..
I have my old machine set so it cannot update ... rewrote part of the registry to keep anyone or anything from updating it. It will last until I am gone and that's all I want.
I wish I could say something good about Windows 10, but you know that saying about how if wishes were wings a frog wouldn't bump its rear end every time it hops.
D. Brian Casady
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Our old Win XP box got infected with something called asp . com and no one could or knew how to get it out. It locked us out of all controls. We finally had to get another pc and it came with 10. :(

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

LINUX it's so good that W10 can run a version of it... msft is trying to integrate itself into the 'nix world... must keep linux coders awake at night laughing themselves silly . . . . . .

however, I use w10 on 2 machines every day anyway, because I can, with LIBRE OFFICE as my document makers.....
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've been using Win 10 for several years. Four PCs in the house have it. Never once a crash on any of them. I can't figure out why other people complain about it. My best guess is they buy el-cheapo PCs at Costco and find the Chinese hardware drivers are riddled with bugs, but that wouldn't be Microsoft's fault. There is a Samsung tablet in the house with Win 10 that crashes, but that appears to be a power supply problem in Samsung's design.

Actually, I've been using Windows since the XP days. My XP laptop ran 20 years with maybe 5 crashes in that period. The hardware finally conked out. I went straight to Win 10.

My only complaint with Win 10 is it's a memory and processor hog. I recently put Debian Linux on an ancient Win 7 laptop I inherited. It's impressively small in footprint for a modern operating system, but I set it up as a dual boot with the old Win 7, and I can't say I see any difference in performance.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On my laptop, the update to Win 10 lost ALL of my saved pictures and data. It was so messed up that I just quit using a PC and went to only my phone. I would take a bat to everyone involved with making Win 10 if I could. I don't mean a wood or metal bat. I mean a CoVid infected bat.
D. Brian Casady
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've only once upgraded Windows across a major version number. One of the laptop's came with 8.1 but was upgraded to the initial version of 10 within a few weeks. That went smoothly. The other three came with 10. The inherited laptop with 7 got wonky when the final Win 7 updates were loaded, but I was planning to take that one to Linux so didn't much care.

I'm surprised you'd loose all data. Was it all stored in your c:\users tree? I can't see why Windows would need to ax anything in that tree. Did your user name change? That shouldn't be a problem, but I can see a possibility.

I know data loss must happen at times, because Windows always warns to back up all data even for the major annual update within a major version. I never did, but all my stored data fits on a thumb drive, so I make weekly backups. Most of my friends have far more stored than can fit so and live without full backups. One friend must have been burned, for she turned off updates years ago.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My two wiener-hounds would do that! :lol:

They are not that bright...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

KWK wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 pm I'm surprised you'd loose all data. Was it all stored in your c:\users tree? I can't see why Windows would need to ax anything in that tree. Did your user name change? That shouldn't be a problem, but I can see a possibility.

I know data loss must happen at times, because Windows always warns to back up all data even for the major annual update within a major version. I never did, but all my stored data fits on a thumb drive, so I make weekly backups. Most of my friends have far more stored than can fit so and live without full backups. One friend must have been burned, for she turned off updates years ago.
I had some downloaded music files bought and paid for, a bunch of pictures, a lot of Word files, and other things ALL GONE! It was as if the computer had been wiped factory clean. It all happened over night. I woke up one morning and went to turn it on. Nothing on it except factory new Win 10. No sign on, nothing. It sucked it as empty as a politician's promise.
D. Brian Casady
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Sorry to hear that. When we upgraded that one laptop from 8.1, it was new enough there was no data worth keeping. It seems to me, however, there was an option in the upgrade process to wipe the disk clean while at it. It's amazing that might be the default, one taken without the user's input. Perhaps I've simply been lucky with Windows.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was living happily ever after with Windoz 7 Home Edition until they started all the bait and switch games. One thing I did know was that I didn't want Windoz 10. I kept putting it off until finally MS pushed the program on me unwanted. I woke up one morning and there it was. I looked around online and found a program called NEVER10 that is supposed to keep MS from forcing it on you.
To the best of my knowledge I don't have Win 10 but my laptop gave up the ghost anyway. I went and replaced it with a Chromebook that works as good as anything.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.