Back open?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Back open?

Post by jnyork »

I went down to Ace Hardware a little while ago to get some propane, the parking lot was jammed up, not a space open, store swarming with people, some masked, most not.

Got me to thinking maybe the people of Wyoming have just had enough of this chit and are taking things into their own hands by coming out of their houses and resuming life.

Hope everything works out OK.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back open?

Post by crs »

Good for them!

Our feed and hardware store never closed and has had above average business.
Same for service stations, auto garages, grocery stores , and all outdoor work and construction businesses.

Makes me wonder why other businesses closed.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Our moron- I mean governor has opened the water as of yesterday. Now the shore towns and charter boat operators can begin to make a living as they are all seasonal. I think we are going to see everything start to open up very soon...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

jnyork wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:18 pm I went down to Ace Hardware a little while ago to get some propane, the parking lot was jammed up, not a space open, store swarming with people, some masked, most not.

Got me to thinking maybe the people of Wyoming have just had enough of this chit and are taking things into their own hands by coming out of their houses and resuming life.

Hope everything works out OK.
They actually closed the hardware stores?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The entire essential vs non essential businesses was a joke. 1918 proved that a virus must burn itself out. Slowing it might save lives (as yet unproven) but the hit to the world economy is a known consequence of the method used by government.

People are still getting sick. Some are still succumbing to this virus. But the government is now saying it’s time to reopen.

I don’t know the answer for anyone but me. But this whole thing was poorly handled. So if they want to reopen everything I don’t care. I will be keeping a low profile until this thing dies out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Essential is the whim of whoever is governor or mayor, etc. and it should be questioned. First off a governor or any politician is not qualified to say what's essential in many cases. They aren't experts in everything, and likely not experts in anything. But things we need are essential, and even then many politicians decided they aren't. Gas stations stayed open, and simply cleaned between users so pump nozzles didn't become carriers. Hardware stores, repair garages, etc. all stayed open, although how they operated seemed to vary among stores. Lowes was walk right on, and keep spaced at check out. Home Depot was wait in line outside, and be let in only as people left to limit numbers inside.
Medical was a mess with governors determining services that were necessary as "non essential". It took someone's life being threatened before a medical procedure could be upgraded from non essential to essential. My gallbladder surgery took two trips to ER room and blood pressure spiking each time to stroke levels, and even then they sent me home to suffer the first time. 3 weeks later they finally gave in and did the needed surgery, and the surgeon said it should have been done months before. Just ridiculous that it went that far, or was ever considered non essential. Still waiting for my hernia repair to be done as it too is non essential, even with pain, and 8" of intestines hanging out of me. They told me this week it might be approved by end of June. Total BS, and all at a politician's whim.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Imagine how much happier they'd have been if you died. They would have saved money, an older client would be off the books, and no one can sue for malpractice anymore in many states. YOu have to sign a document saying you won't sue, just arbitrate.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jeepnik wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm Imagine how much happier they'd have been if you died. They would have saved money, an older client would be off the books, and no one can sue for malpractice anymore in many states. YOu have to sign a document saying you won't sue, just arbitrate.
I doubt the politicians would care one way or the other if I lived or died, anymore than they would for any citizen under their rule.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Welcome to Animal Farm and 1984!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Seems Orwell got quite a bit right. I particularly like all of his predictions in his book 1984. We have "TV's" that watch us and thought crime is pretty much here. The press manages to change things at the whim of some politicians.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SC has been opening up all month (actually started the last week of April) - and, we were the last state east of the big muddy to apply any kind of "stay-at-home" order (really a suggestion). Monday the barber shops and such reopen. I am beginning to look like a balding Wookie; I can't wait to get my hair cut! I haven't had my hair this long since the 70's!!! :shock:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:32 pm SC has been opening up all month (actually started the last week of April) - and, we were the last state east of the big muddy to apply any kind of "stay-at-home" order (really a suggestion). Monday the barber shops and such reopen. I am beginning to look like a balding Wookie; I can't wait to get my hair cut! I haven't had my hair this long since the 70's!!! :shock:
Since our state has allowed 31 of 36 counties to reopen, I'd have to drive about 50 miles to get a haircut, from a stranger barber. But I'm just about ready to try it as my hair is bugging the heck out of me!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I took my dad for a pre-op today so he could get a stress test and I had to chuckle. We went in to register and the seats were six feet apart but no one cleaned the seats after someone was setting in them. They didn't clean the desk with disinfectant while we were there. I seen restaurants clean more often than the hospital is now with the "big virus" that's going to kill us all. Here in Kentucky I have been doing what I want when I want and haven't paid any mind to Lord Beshear and his executive orders. I don't really go to that many places, church and the barber is about the only places I go to regularly that are closed. It seems most folks around my place are ignoring him too. Constuction was supposed to be shut down for residential projects but I see work crews every day just about.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hondo1892 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:56 pm I took my dad for a pre-op today so he could get a stress test and I had to chuckle. We went in to register and the seats were six feet apart but no one cleaned the seats after someone was setting in them. They didn't clean the desk with disinfectant while we were there. I seen restaurants clean more often than the hospital is now with the "big virus" that's going to kill us all. Here in Kentucky I have been doing what I want when I want and haven't paid any mind to Lord Beshear and his executive orders. I don't really go to that many places, church and the barber is about the only places I go to regularly that are closed. It seems most folks around my place are ignoring him too. Constuction was supposed to be shut down for residential projects but I see work crews every day just about.
It's great to see a healthy dose of resistance to the dictatorial utterances of some of these fool governors!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Went to Home Depot yesterday to give it one more try at getting in to buy some materials I needed for my project. To my surprise no line, and no requirement for face masks either! Guess some state orders got relaxed Monday, so it was wide open, and just spacing at the checkouts.
Yesterday our governor got her wings clipped when a circuit court judge ruled her executive order to close churches, and certain businesses was unconstitutional under Oregon law. So they were told to reopen the state. Then late last night the governor's attorneys got busy and got a stay from the state supreme court until Friday on the lower court judge's ruling.
Our state constitution specifically says the governor has the right to issue orders when the crisis is a health related situation. BUT the constitution also says those orders have a 14 day limit, so she's gone well over that at 2 months. But her attorneys are trying to use a different law stating it's a "catastrophe" that has open ended restrictions. Not sure how the supreme court could agree with her, when she's repeatedly said these orders are to keep the citizens healthy, and hospitals from being overcrowded with corona victims? She can't pick and choose what works for her, although she seems to be trying to.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered a full stop to any and all prosecutions of small businesses which opened too soon. That sets a legal precedent which may work against him if another disaster strikes. Or even if a disaster actually does strike.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think many/most of the "shut downs" are politically motivated. There are precautions that should be used, but the most restrictions are "look at how well I'm taking care of you" moves with little thought. In our small town the largest gas station stopped pumping gas for the customers (in Oregon, gas pumps must be operated by station employees), but a few hundred feet, in an enclosed area workers are selling groceries. A half mile down the street is a full service station where the attendant wears gloves and a mask. Masks are not mandatory and many don't wear them, but the local beach was shut down. Not much consistency. I choose to stay home most of the time and wear a mask when I go out (and yes, I know N95 is the only masks that stop the virus, or so I'm told by the media and the web). But in my county there were just 4 confirmed cases and zero deaths but shut downs are still in place (and I know of two businesses that are permanently shut down, out of business because of not being "essential" and couldn't take the hit from no income for the last 2 months)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

Last week, on Monday I had a situation I had to visit the hospital emergency room. we got there at 0:800 hrs.
we were the only patients there. upon entering they immediately took my Wife's temperature but didn't take mine until I had
checked in and showed them I had insurance.
2 hrs. later as we left we were the only patients they had.
not one illegal cluttering up the waiting room.
thankfully my problem was not major.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JHarold wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:33 am L .
not one illegal cluttering up the waiting room.
Should have taken a picture of that. :roll:

Glad you are OK.