BLR takedown barrel swap solution?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BeeKay
Levergunner

BLR takedown barrel swap solution?

Post by BeeKay »

I bought a BLR last year, and got the idea that if I could have interchangeable barrels it would make a good gun even better... Being that the barrel comes off, why not?
It would be like a Remington 870 that someone could morph to suit various applications, by changing the chambering.
I know I'm not the only one - I've read posts by other guys who have had the same idea. And the thing that ends up squashing the plan is that Browning doesn't offer barrels separately. If someone wants another chambering, they have to buy another gun.
If someone gives some thought to why, it isn't hard to figure out ... Other than the maker wanting to sell more guns.
Headspacing and bolt fit issues would make it necessary for custom fit .

So anyhow, there may be a solution: Make another barrel

For myself, my original BLR Takedown is chambered in .308 Win, but I would like another barrel in .358 Win.

I have an AR 10 chambered in .358 Winchester with a 19" barrel and there's one unknown standing between turning that barrel onto something that would be fairly simple to modify to become an alternate barrel for my BLR.
That unknown is the diameter and thread pitch of the bolt lug assembly at the back.
IMG_20200516_175818_936.JPG
The part shown in the attachment is referred to as the barrel extension in AR circles. It is threaded on and pinned, just as with the BLR TD model barrel.
I am not sure whether or not the thread dia and pitch would match. I would bet that it would be highly unlikely. But there may be some possibilities there.

Turning down the OD contour of a barrel that is already chambered is a simple and less expensive operation than having a new barrel made or buying a second gun.
So I'm just inquiring whether this seems interesting enough to anyone else to make it worth looking for additional information.,

I am not considering modifying a barrel to be swapped between an AR and a BLR . Just to be clear.
I am talking about modifying an existing barrel to be permanently dedicated as a BLR Takredown barrel

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR takedown barrel swap solution?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Impressive. Hope you upload a video on a range report... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BeeKay wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 pm I bought a BLR last year, and got the idea that if I could have interchangeable barrels it would make a good gun even better... Being that the barrel comes off, why not?
It would be like a Remington 870 that someone could morph to suit various applications, by changing the chambering.
I know I'm not the only one - I've read posts by other guys who have had the same idea. And the thing that ends up squashing the plan is that Browning doesn't offer barrels separately. If someone wants another chambering, they have to buy another gun.
If someone gives some thought to why, it isn't hard to figure out ... Other than the maker wanting to sell more guns.
Headspacing and bolt fit issues would make it necessary for custom fit .

So anyhow, there may be a solution: Make another barrel

For myself, my original BLR Takedown is chambered in .308 Win, but I would like another barrel in .358 Win.

I have an AR 10 chambered in .358 Winchester with a 19" barrel and there's one unknown standing between turning that barrel onto something that would be fairly simple to modify to become an alternate barrel for my BLR.
That unknown is the diameter and thread pitch of the bolt lug assembly at the back.

IMG_20200516_175818_936.JPG

The part shown in the attachment is referred to as the barrel extension in AR circles. It is threaded on and pinned, just as with the BLR TD model barrel.
I am not sure whether or not the thread dia and pitch would match. I would bet that it would be highly unlikely. But there may be some possibilities there.

Turning down the OD contour of a barrel that is already chambered is a simple and less expensive operation than having a new barrel made or buying a second gun.
So I'm just inquiring whether this seems interesting enough to anyone else to make it worth looking for additional information.,

I am not considering modifying a barrel to be swapped between an AR and a BLR . Just to be clear.
I am talking about modifying an existing barrel to be permanently dedicated as a BLR Takredown barrel

Thanks
Does this help?
https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/tr ... 70bd5342d2
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Yes - thank you very much, Tycer
That is incredibly helpful!

The measurements are almost all metric, but the threaded area with the sleeve containing the lugs is 15/16" - 20 unf.
I'll have to see where I can get with that.

It's better to look at a picture than to just tear the thing apart, especially when it's pinned and probably torqued and secured with loc-tite.

If this is successful, other BLR guys will be excited to get this as well.

Edit: Update on the thread dia/pitch for the .308 AR barrel - It's 1" - 16 tpi
I got really excited for a while, thinking that just maybe it would be a drop-on fit that wouldn't require any machine work
No such luck - Oh Well - I'd have to use a lathe anyhow to turn down the contour of the barrel anyhow.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes. I would love to have a 308 barrel for my 358 td. Alas I cannot make heads or tails of a blueprint. Fancy crown molding and I’m your guy. As a machinist I am ignorant.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

I may end up sending this to a barrel-smith.

I have skill operating a lathe, as I worked as a machinist several years ago. But threading stainless that is hardened is something that takes some practice.
And I don't even own a lathe. A neighbor offered to let me use his for a day, to do work on a few projects.
But there's a good risk of botching this and possibly even turning it to scrap, considering that I'd be working with a lathe that I am not familiar with.

It would be good if I could find the threaded barrel-lug sleeve. I've asked and tried to locate one, but with no luck, so far.
I could remove the one from my .308 barrel, but I don't want to sacrifice it.

I'll continue to post - It's possible that an AR .308/.358 barrel can be modified for less expense than having a custom one made.

But if a barrel maker could build one for about $400 or less that wouldn't be a bad deal.

I'll add to this: I have a spare .358 AR barrel already, because I swapped barrels on that rifle for a shorter/lighter one - Otherwise I probably wouldn't be thinking about doing this.