The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Well the new version is here. if you see phpBB at the top it is in your cached data as per David. That worked to remove it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nope! We was both robbed Gunny.
OS robbed our victory. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why that @#@!$%++/ $%@#&?+%$
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep, he stole another page from us... oh well at least it wasnt that jaybird character!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

OldWin wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:37 pm Mopar! Yes!

Well, lets see if you keep this winning post buddy. :D
Why do you need mo' pawr? Don't them things have any?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey..hey....must have been sleeping....Old Savage wins again!!!!

He wins....he wins..........a French Bulldog!----6

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Frenchies, one of the more cute little dogs, my favorite being the corgis.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

New A/C unit going in on the neighbor's condo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Fred....NOT A CLOUD in the sky!!!!.......what you think Gunny......3 days a year our way?---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Naw, we have had quite a few of those bluebird days already this spring. Up north in Quebec I can remember whole weeks that way.
That's the problem with living in such densely populated areas- gotta use a crane to replace a simple AC condenser.

Talking with a college buddy last night, he and his wife have moved to kanetuck and his job went to south so he started his own shop. Going to be a full service gunsmith shop. Anyhow he was telling me at the club he shoots at they have stepped up the long range .22 game by shooting at little green army men. Just like silhouette shooting. Sounds like a fun time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No clouds is the most common sky here.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

It's a special treat to have crystal clear days....when I say "crystal" , that's different than cloudless days......the air is clear, the colors are brighter.......

Oh well......me and mom are headed out to the mighty Loot & Pillage Arms Gunshop....they have a couple of very talented gunsmiths there which I need.....gonna get the Merwin and Hulbert 44-40 back on the road with a hammer mounted firing pin.....guess someone back in the day didn't want someone else shooting it.........at them! :D

Oooohhhh....sing along...wit...Sixgun.....whistle...whistle.....happy days are always here!.......let da miserable ones wallow in their mud holes........🐀🐀...eeeee....eeeee ....Ben is watching....-----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We ate lunch today then beat feet for the new dock to carp fish a while. Just as we stepped onto the dock we hear this military power coming. 2 F16s about 500 feet up come screaming across the lake ! They are headed for a commercial type jet off in the distance. A 3ed fighter is flying with it. My first thought was another 9/11 situation. Then the boss thought maybe The president was in the area.
Well I caught another carp today! This one weighed 3 lbs 4 oz- I remered my scale!
On the way home listening to the radio they were talking about the Air National Guard doing a state wide fly over with a KC10 tanker.
New mould showed up, brand new with handles for 22 bucks!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That must have been cool with the jets! Can you tell what kind of jets they are as most look the same to me, especially when they are flying fast. That only happened to me one time when I was hunting upstate in the mountains. I was on top of the mountain just standing there and before I knew it I heard a roar...had zero time to react......one of those funny looking Warthogs flew about a 100 feet over my head.....yea...it was a serious rush.

Carp? You eat those nasty looking things?

Old Savage gets the 1881 Marlin pictured about in the middle of the rack.

The National Levergun Silhouette Champs has been cancelled!!!!!!!!! only a hundred or a bit more or less people in the country get to attend that and I was scheduled along with "The Gunny". Gone! Thank you China you slant eyed subhumans.

Dropped off the Merwin & Hulbert at "Loot and Pillage Gunshop" today....furthest I've been from home in three months...(30 miles) :D

Stopped at the Kubota dealer to schedule a pick up with the mighty Kubota for that hydraulic issue.

Yea...lot of action today. Hey Fred...here's your rifle...come get it....---6

Found this picture of Griff making use of a Colt 38-40 and a '73 in 44-40

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great 😋😂 an 81 Marlin for page 81. Perfect!

What caiber?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

?What caliber

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

These were F16s as far as I could tell.

No I dont kill fish for the most part. Just catch em for the fun of it.

I'm not surprised that the nationals were cancelled. I'm sure The Grand might be as well, the US nationals might be as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

BUT NASCAR is back! Sunday Sunday Sunday at 3:30. Finally some normalcy to the world. Hey Six do I own any of the guns in that picture?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

LA is a great big freeway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 pm ?What caliber
40-60 Marlin.....same as the 40-65 WCF.......
IIRC, I shot 22 out of 40 starting with the 200 meter chickens on out to 500 meter rams.

No Tommy Gun.....the two in the middle ('81 and the case colored '93 ) are mine along with the might BAR but you can have them all.....say......120 Bens....

Fred...that pic of the freeway make me dizzy.....I can only handle 2 lane roads and that's for real.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Hey Gunny,

Things are warmin' up here in the Midwest. It's the 2nd week of May, so it's pretty safe to plant your tomatoes. Had frost 2 days ago. I planed taters about two weeks ago and they're coming up fine.

That silverware drawer divider you built me is working perfectly and looking good! I thank you for it.

Six,

Ya sure. Just a word to the wise. Nobody every gets burgled, until they do.

Cat
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got tomato plants that have small tomatoes coming on. Didn't plant any potato plants. The Jalapenos look good. Should have some nice tomatoes by June.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

NASCAR- the definition of a circle jerk! They should have to drive STOCK cars right from the dealer showroom!

Good to hear Cat! You re welcome!

Always liked 40-65, might have to look for one someday.

No maters here, allergic to em! Although I do like taters!

Well the heap big chief is coming to the job today. Yup the owner of the Washington house is venturing out of NYC .

Was warm in bed last night, kicked off the blanket- 0300 I'm freezing. Think I could move the dogs? NOPE !! I had to contort myself around and through all 3 labradors to warm up. :lol:

Hope to get my lead pot warmed up this afternoon and throw some 375's.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny I agree about the “stock-stock cars” to a point. After watching Ryan Newman’s wreck at Daytona how about stock drivetrains and bodies, with a super duper roll cage setup.
Allergic to tomatoes? And yet you seem so happy anyway. If I couldn’t eat tomatoes I might question why I was put on this earth😉

Yeah I am full of beans because we only know of two things I am allergic too(besides stupid liberals) cat hair( who cares do much care for cats) and DEER HAIR 🤗
If the deer hair scratches my skin I get big nasty blisters like a scalding burn. So I wear thick rubber gloves. We make do with how we are made.

Jack how about that 1894 with the long barrel? 32-40 maybe?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

No Tom...don't have a 32-40 anymore...I had a 95 percent er made in '21 with a tad of flaking that some guy stole off of me....I think he's on the board right here!

I'm wit Gunny on NASCAR.....OK, it's cool but its just not for me....in fact, no "spectator" sports are......if I can't do it myself, I don't care for it and for certain, ain't gonna watch anyone else do it. I don't base my happiness or mental wellbeing on other people's actions. I've seen guys at work have fist fights ....for real...knock down drag out fights......over the results of Eagles games....or "who's team is better"....I put spectator sports in the IQ category of people who run about 80-105.

Burglaries are easy to prevent but take continual and vigilant maintenance ......you can prevent 90%...at least 90%..... of them just by opening your eyes to who is around you...including family......most all burglaries are committed by someone you know, or knows them.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I don't want to offend anyone, but "stock car" racing is ridiculous. Hasn't been a race since the 70's IMO. Cars in most cases don't even use the same physics. On the track they are rear drive V8's, on the showroom they are all stupid front wheel drive V6's.
I agree with Six on sports. Been saying it for years. I just don't "get it".
I've met few people who feel the same, however.
Overslept this afternoon. Can't really complain, as I haven't slept all week. Gotta make a dump run and dump some gas in the truck.

I only own one 32-40. A full octagon rifle. I had a 2/3 mag carbine years ago but sold it to a friend. You don't see many 32-40's up here. The 38-55 was very popular, however.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I see the header has changed again- bfd.
I can eat cooked tomatoes but I dont make a habit out of it. As for deer hair yes I'm allergic to them too, I wear gloves as well. I break out in gives if I get blood on my skin. God forbid I touch my eyes!! Cats too but I'd never have a cat as I hate them as much as liberals. Always get a kick out of people saying oh you would like my cat, it's just like a dog. Ok let's see your cat jump into a 35 degree lake and bring back that goose I just shot! Ain't gonna happen so SHUDDUPA YOU FACE.
Ah nascar, yup half the race in one direction, half the other and at some point turn off the lights- then I might watch! Honestly I'd rather watch golf at least it would be quiet enough to fall asleep ! :lol:

Just vacuumed the truck out. Lots of chocolate lab hair & muddy foot prints! Getting a little excited about the new truck.

Guess I'll go smoke that mold and pour some 250s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mold is great! Drops a nice bullet. I poured about 2 dozen just for testing purposes. With the mix that is in my pot ( commercial cast that were supposed to be 338 but were actually 8mm ) the mold drops bullets right at 240 grains and they are .380 " so I now need to load a couple dummy rounds and see if they chamber.
Ah well, tomorrow is striped bass fishing day !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

View of the trees across the desert.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nice picture Fred..is that near LA? Not a cloud in the sky.

Hey Jay.....ya know....I'm with ya....cannot see the attraction in sports...we are definitely in the minority......never played anything in school......2:30, I was outta there!

What you casting Gunny?

Work buddy stopped over today in his 2003 Dodge diesel...man! That engine sounds good........he brought me over a Kenmore dryer in beautiful condition...free.....said he bought a new washer and the old dryer won't match the new washer so he figured I'd like it. Ha! I told him, "hey Bill, I could care less if things like that don't match....You got to stop worrying about what visitors might think." He's a good guy so I slipped him $50 and told him to get drunk on me....he was getting a good start as he had three empty cans on the floorboard of his truck and a cold one in his hand.... Yea....good ole boy redneck....Dodge diesel and empty beer cans.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Only 1 thing I dislike about diesel engines. In the drive thru we cannot what you are saying unless you turn it off. Those suicide jockeys who refuse to turn the diesel off are taking a real chance on getting the wrong persons medicine and winding up dead since we cannot hear you above the clatter of your diesel. Turn it off Mr. Biden and let us make sure it is your medicine and not the strychnine that Hillary ordered. I don't care if you want to be deaf, I need to be able to make sure it is your medicine I am selling you. Commit suicide on someone else's time.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is the Mohave Desert about 60 miles north of LA looking east toward PA. Usually no clouds in the sky and about 11% humidity might be average summer weather. You can see about 25 miles here, further to the mountains in other directions.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six the Lee .379-250 mold showed in the post. I'm going to try making my own .377 sizing die- just for kicks! I know I can make a simple push through but one for the lubrasizer might be a bit more than I want to get into.

Funny you say that Piller- the first time I took my diesel over the border to Canada I pulled into the customs booth, couldn't hear a word from the agent. Could see her mouth moving but not hear a word. She was getting upset as I spun the key to off. I then explained that I was cooling down my turbo charger and apologized for the noise. Yes a good diesel driver will idle the engine a minute or more before shutting it down to pull more heat from the turbo.

Coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

S C O R E Thanks Tom!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:00 amFunny you say that Piller- the first time I took my diesel over the border to Canada I pulled into the customs booth, couldn't hear a word from the agent. Could see her mouth moving but not hear a word. She was getting upset as I spun the key to off. I then explained that I was cooling down my turbo charger and apologized for the noise. Yes a good diesel driver will idle the engine a minute or more before shutting it down to pull more heat from the turbo.
As technical matter, it's not the turbo that needs to cool off, it's the exhaust temp. Actually, in the time from when you pull off the road/hwy, to when you actually come to stop is sufficient to cool the turbo down. A pyrometer will tell you that at highway speeds a no- to light-load will probably run the exhaust temp in the 6-800ºF range, a heavy load will put your exhaust temp between 900-1200ºF, pulling grades etc. A well tuned engine should stay in that range. If you're building exhaust temps higher than that, you need to back off, and let your torque do the pulling instead of wasting fuel trying to develop horsepower. Unless you're pulling a max load thru an uphill drive-thru, or into a seriously inclined parking place your exhaust temp has already cooled off to the point that further idling is just wasting fuel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Score? Can I have one too?

Fredrick of Hollywood......25 miles? Amazing! As you are a world/country traveler your lucky to see 25 feet here in the east. I feel sssooooooooooo much better in the dry climate, mostly because of my Meniers......it's been dry for the last few days and I feel great but we have a doozy coming tomorrow night so that means tonight and tomorrow will have my ears ringing like crazy and will,be lightheaded.......much worse if I consume salt.

Anyway, I have a question for "The Gunny".....

Master Gunny.....in 2016 I built a landing out of green/undried red oak. I weather stained/painted the exposed areas that you can see....nothing underneath........this landing sits in the sun most of the day.......and parts of it are rotting!
Cheap untreated pine would last twice that long..........not all of it is rotting ....the bottoms of the legs are rotting and I have them sitting on 1/4" plastic plates......one of the boards on top fell off when I put my weight on it yesterday and I used 3" screws to build this...your thoughts?---6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Noise and such is one reason I really like my Duramax, or Isuzu if you prefer! Plus, why have a I-6 when a V-8 comes in a much nicer package! :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jack, outdoor stuff should be Redwood, or maybe Cedar, but not Red Oak. IMO, unless you polyurethane it. All six sides, double, triple, or more coats on the end grain!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:04 amNo Tom...don't have a 32-40 anymore...I had a 95 percent er made in '21 with a tad of flaking that some guy stole off of me....I think he's on the board right here!
Wait, you don't have that 1885 in .32-40... I've been waiting patiently, for naught??? :roll: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Howdy Griff....redwood? Geeze..that stuff costs more than gold. When we were kids you could buy a redwood picnic table for a dollar and then the tree huggers put a stop to dat. Well, I'm 65 and with a little support here and there I'll make this thing last. :D

1885 in 32-40....never had one...in fact, I've never sold an 1885 as they are hard to come by in original condition,,, much harder than an '86. I've got one hiwall in 40-82. ...two low walls in .22 L.R. along with another low wall in 32-20.....that's all I've been able to get my hands on in over 40 years.

Still remember the 95% hi Wall in 38-90 I could have had for 15 ...THAT was a steal but like anything else, I was not paying attention.----6jr
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Diesel pickups.......desert views.........rotting steps.......bullet moulds.
Holy smokes, what a day. :D

I got no problem with the desert, or bullet moulds.
Rotting steps....no thanks.
And I know I will get hate, but I don't get the diesel pickup thing either. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The microphone gets a reverberation in it from diesel engines and that makes it where we must read lips.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six oak especially red oak is not very good for outside. White oak is quite good but not great.

As said, seal the end grain and that helps. Sure ya got it on plastic but the end grain is still sucking up water. Be glad you got as many years as you did !

Copy EGT 's. I always told people to idle down the turbo because those COST big $s and it got them to think about it more. For me I always idle for a minute or so.

Well jaybirdgun if you have a 28 ga then the ammo I got off Tom you can send me a check and he can mail to ya!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pmAnd I know I will get hate, but I don't get the diesel pickup thing either. :D
No hate from this quarter... but... diesel has much better torque than a gas engine. My old '88 4x4 1-ton dually had a 454 in it... 230 HP and something like 385 ft/lbs of torque.... that's in 7.4 liters. My 2005 4x4 1-ton dually has a 6.6 liter diesel, is rated @ 310 hp, and 520 ft/lbs of torque! The 2006 version upped that 605 ft/lbs of torque. Plus diesels develop both HP and torque at much lower rpms than do gas engines. That and fuel economy... The fuel industry has turned the tables on diesel owners, as it is a by-product of distilling gas out of crude. % depends on type and original of crude. So when diesels started to gain in popularity amongst car and p/u buyers, they simply upped the price of diesel to gouge the buyers. Back in the days before the oil embargo, gas wars often saw the price of gas down below 30¢/gal., and the regular price for diesel was around 18¢/gal.

My '88 1-ton got between 8-½ to 10 mpg, depending on how new the plugs, wires, rotor & distributor cap were. Seemed like every time I started it, the mpgs dropped a ¼ mpg. Whereas the 2005 Duramax gets 16-17 mpg. And it's not a "thrifty" diesel. The Cummins equipped Doges can get over 20 mpg! That's the attraction!

So, if you're going to be pulling weight, or carrying a load, the diesel is the better choice. IMO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Gunny! I never knew........when we had the new barn built we had the entire insides from the ground up to the 10' ceiling covered with rough cut oak...12 footers by 1 and 3/4".....when the builders were leaving they were loading the extra oak boards on their trailer I asked them to leave the boards and I'll pay them.....about 15-20 of them....they said, "you paid for them" So I said, "what the f you taking them for?" Amish guys too.

Diesel pickups, like 460 Weatherbys have their place and use. If I was hauling, pulling serious weight, etc..I'd have one. When you get a Diesel engine, everything else in the drivetrain is heavy duty, plus the suspension......they last.

To the regular guy they make no sense, unless you want one, then nothing else matters.....same way a 460 Weatherby does.....
It's your right......but for regular guy, the much larger added price, larger oil maintenance, larger repair bills when something goes wrong and the unpredictable sources for diesel are all negatives. Gassers are no brainers.

My 34 horse Kubota is one of the best items I've ever bought. Gas tractors are good for about 1500 hours and that's the good ones, not the 10 cent 10 HP garden tractors...junk.....I need a big tractor doing 4+ acres plus the loader for dirt and other things. I'd wear out a gasser in 10 years.....but...I did manage to get 30 years out of a 20 HP 60" John Deere but they don't make them like that anymore....Did one complete engine rebuild on that plus anything that bolted on that tractor was replaced a dozen times. Glad it's gone.....diesel is the way to go if you use a tractor for what they were meant to be used for.----6

Anybody hear from Jay Bird? I gave the handle back to where I got it from and told him to be careful as he is being watched.....eeeeeeeee......eeeeeee....."Ben" is watching us.....eeeeee.......eeeeeee🐀
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Open roasted on the Weber indirect, 425-300℉ one hour and a half.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not sure what the torque is on this 2.0 liter, 146 hp, two wheel drive brute but all it has to haul is maybe two people and golf clubs. Occasionally three plus luggage and golf clubs.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am beginning to worry about you comrade Jay. First ya hack on NASCAR then ya hack on diesel trucks. Dang near UN AMERICAN! Next your gonna start trading 1894’s for Mosin Nagants. Did ya get a bad batch of fiddleheads?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear you Griff. No argument that a diesel has a way better torque curve that is at a much lower rpm. Thats why vehicles that do REAL work are diesels.
However, my 5.7 Hemi makes 395hp with 407fp of torque and right now is showing just under 22mpg.
Like Six says, if you are constantly pulling heavy loads or putting 75-100k a year on, it pays. Or if, such in your climate, you can drive it for 20 years. But up here the diesel trucks rust just as fast as the gas jobs.
When you factor a considerably higher purchase price, higher fuel cost, higher maintenance cost. It's just more expensive.
Now if someone just wants one, I'm all for it. And a very few need them. The ones that get me are the guys that act like they are saving money because they are getting a few more miles a gallon. Most aren't.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 pm I am beginning to worry about you comrade Jay. First ya hack on NASCAR then ya hack on diesel trucks. Dang near UN AMERICAN! Next your gonna start trading 1894’s for Mosin Nagants. Did ya get a bad batch of fiddleheads?
Hahaha now THAT is funny. Bad......fiddleheads? No such thing brother.
Must be the Rona! :shock:
Get rid of my 94s? Like we say up here.....
What ails you, man? :D
Maybe I'm raggin it? :shock: