John Wayne movie gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

John Wayne movie gun?

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok I know I am a nerd buuut I am curious about something? I was being a lazy turd this morning and got hooked into Rooster Cogburn. When they are on the raft and had already put the Nitro in the water, you can see a picture of JW holding a rifle and it looks similar to a 1892-1894 but the loading gate is at the front of the receiver. Looks to be very similar loading gate to 94. Doesn’t have the oval shape of the Whitney. What is it?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: John Wayne movie gun?

Post by gamekeeper »

According to the Movie gun index only 92s and 94s were used in the John Wayne version but they don't always get it right.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What gets me all the time is each and every Winchester used in those movies are WORN out cosmetically- those guns were new at the time these movies were supposed to be happening. Saddle wear, dust storms, etc just cant make em look that old right from the Mercantile!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I love the John Wayne movies. What bugs me is most of the Winchesters they use weren't even invented at the time the movies took place. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

All true statements. The gun I saw is not a 92 or a 94 because when I saw it I said the &$://!$ was that and backed it up to see. Very clearly not a 92-94. Looked like a standard kings patent 94 loading gate but right at the spot where the mag tube and receiver meet.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

At the point you see it is it in operation or just being held ? Could be just a prop gun that was cobbled together.
At college we had 1 of the 7 made prop guns that was used in The Alamo with JW. It was that multi barreled monstrosity that whats his name used... ugh I cant remember.... Richard Wydmark? Oh and the school made all 7 for the movie.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

In that scene the rifle you see him holding is a Daisy 1894 BB rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

J Miller wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:30 pm In that scene the rifle you see him holding is a Daisy 1894 BB rifle.

Joe
H4371-L160822546.jpg
Looks like Joe wins the cigar... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Go back to leverguns home page and click on COLT-BURGESS, I think that's what you are talking about .The picture shows a forward loading gate.http://leverguns.com/leverguns/coltburgess_levergun.htm or this..http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/whitneykennedy.htm
Last edited by 4t5 on Sun May 10, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:01 pm Looks like Joe wins the cigar... :D
Ha! Ain't that somethin'! .....dang BB gun! One thing for sure.....modern westerns are more true to form as to their weapons used in that particular time frame.

BTW...Hope it ain't Monica's cigar....might be a little stinky.
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I just pulled d out my Daisy and that was s EXACTLY what it looks like in the movie. Thank you guys, another mystery solved.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 am Ok I know I am a nerd buuut I am curious about something? I was being a lazy turd this morning and got hooked into Rooster Cogburn. When they are on the raft and had already put the Nitro in the water, you can see a picture of JW holding a rifle and it looks similar to a 1892-1894 but the loading gate is at the front of the receiver. Looks to be very similar loading gate to 94. Doesn’t have the oval shape of the Whitney. What is it?

It was a Daisy BB gun 1894 model.

Edit: looks like I was beat to the punch.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Guessing they used the Daisy in case it got dropped in the river. Not a big loss like a prop gun would be.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I have an old magazine article with a picture of him in a movie scene holding a Winchesterr 92. The article states it's a 32-20 which is totally true because one can see the way the mag tube is secured/attached to the barrel. It's definitely a 32-20 or a 25-20. If it were a 38-40 or 44-40 it would have a front barrel band and not the set up for the two smaller calibers.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I watched Rooster Cogburn at the weekend and saw John Wayne holding the Daisy BB gun, never would have noticed if not for this thread.... :|
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Was watching some old Bonanza shows the other day and they were carrying Henry rifles and open top colts which may have been period correct for the the period when ole Ben started out.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pitchy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 am Was watching some old Bonanza shows the other day and they were carrying Henry rifles and open top colts which may have been period correct for the the period when ole Ben started out.

A lot of the "Henry" rifles on Bonanza are actually 1892s with the forearm removed. Some even painted "brass" color. There may be an old original Henry in there somewhere but I notice quite often that they used 92s for that desired effect.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Rube Burrows wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 pm
Pitchy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 am Was watching some old Bonanza shows the other day and they were carrying Henry rifles and open top colts which may have been period correct for the the period when ole Ben started out.

A lot of the "Henry" rifles on Bonanza are actually 1892s with the forearm removed. Some even painted "brass" color. There may be an old original Henry in there somewhere but I notice quite often that they used 92s for that desired effect.
They must of put longer barrels on them then, i was thinking 66 copies with the forearms removed, i think they did have loading gates on them.
At least they wern`t bb guns.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pitchy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:30 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 pm

They must of put longer barrels on them then, i was thinking 66 copies with the forearms removed, i think they did have loading gates on them.
At least they wern`t bb guns.
That is possible also. They use all kinds of rifles to get a henry look.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Rube, my reply was trying to stay on topic of fake guns in movies.
I did a little research about the Bonanza show and Ben Cartwright (sp), the real Ben and his family date back to 1850`s long before the Henry rifle was invented so when they made the show they tried they`er best to make up rifles and revolvers that come close to that period thus the rifles that look like Henry rifles.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

In the episode of Andy Griffith where the goat eats the dynamite and the mayor tells Andy to shoot the goat Andy hands him a Daisy 1894 BB gun.