New Look !!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

New Look !!!

Post by milton »

WOW !!!!! The new look is GREAT !!!!!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Look !!!

Post by David »

milton wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:30 am WOW !!!!! The new look is GREAT !!!!!
And the links up top are back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not to me! The header at the top takes up over half of my computer screen! I can hardly see the list of thread topics working with half a computer screen!
Can we somehow reduce the header???
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

WTH!
I'm one of those that don't like change. I've been on here since 2009.
Gonna take me a bit to get used to haha
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 am Not to me! The header at the top takes up over half of my computer screen! I can hardly see the list of thread topics working with half a computer screen!
Please help me understand, I have two tabs in the same browser with each template displaying. I know this sounds stupid but if I pick the same message line of the same topic with my finger touching the side of the screen they are identical. This is on a very old 13 mac air, on a phone, or big screen. That would have to wait until work Monday.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

oh.... now I get it because the header doesn't scroll away.

I kind of think it's a bit big myself, if we has a consensus on making it 1/2 of the height it is now would the non-scrolling banner work, or I'll go look for another theme that doesn't do that. There's a whole lot of them out there but finding one you want that you don't have to do a whole lot of work is a pain.

So can I leave this painful for you while I search for a different theme so I can hear what other have to say or is this unusable? I don't want this unusable for anyone.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Don’t care for it :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

ok, I got another I had starting fixing before but this one seemed easier, I'll go back for a bit.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I'm just going to toss another at you.
This one works all the same with the scrolling top etc.
I can only get so close to nothing changed ;)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can deal with it as it is now.
Must vary depending on equipment we have on our end.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

However when trying to delete old private messages, I do STILL get the error message:

"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

So........someone sent me a message a couple weeks ago I can't access. Partly my fault cuz I have a full message box and it won't put up the new one until I delete a few.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah - NO LIKE.
This is how it looks on my phone ?
Screenshot_20200510-115703_Samsung Internet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 am Yeah - NO LIKE.
This is how it looks on my phone ?Screenshot_20200510-115703_Samsung Internet.jpg
Well stuff people used phones, just fixed that.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Does the PHPBB mean something?
I do like the yellow colors showing recent topics.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:22 am Does the PHPBB mean something?
I do like the yellow colors showing recent topics.
Shouldn't be there anymore they had a separate logo for a phone.

phpbb is the software of this forum and the theme's never tell you which because someone well I guess it could be a security key.
Anyhow we using the latest 3.n version the old theme was 2.9 and a pile of versions old and 3.0 was a bit software step.
The old theme had bugs and we just can't keep using it without asking for trouble.

This appears to "work" the same as the old with the rolling header, I certainly understand that on a phone as a no go, I'm surprised the them didn't flip for that. This seems to be workable on my phone as well if it's still to much header (but does go away with scroll) I could make the logo smaller just for the phone.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Buttons upper right corner for register, login, etc. are less than intuitive at first glance.

Now let's see if this version will remember me so I won't have to log in on every visit.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I didn't think those letters meant anything but my android still shows them. Whatever it's no big deal as they scroll away.

No one has said it yet but thanks to you and the other moderators who keep this site going !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thank you for keeping this show on the road..... :D

Just noticed if I go into general discussion I'm not logged in but if I go into leverguns community index I am logged in, I usually go into the index so no problem.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:49 am I didn't think those letters meant anything but my android still shows them. Whatever it's no big deal as they scroll away.

No one has said it yet but thanks to you and the other moderators who keep this site going !
Your welcome, I help our ANY pro-firearm related site that asks for help, the list isn't short so I keep busy.

The PHPBB image is cached now one your phone, it has the same name so your phone just doesn't fetch it again.
Phone cache lifetime or how to clear, not a clue. Hopefully poof it'll be right in not too long.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Weird. After it changed, I logged back on a couple hours later, and a few things changed again.
I'm glad the header scrolls off on my phone. It would be pretty cramped otherwise.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 am However when trying to delete old private messages, I do STILL get the error message:

So........someone sent me a message a couple weeks ago I can't access. Partly my fault cuz I have a full message box and it won't put up the new one until I delete a few.
I increased the number of private messages allowable in the meantime, that didn't allow you to receive new messages?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Whatever you did is great now! The "Leverguns" banner or header goes away as I scroll down the page instead of staying there and covering 60% of the page as it did earlier!

Thanks for fixing it!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I guess the few days I didn't have internet meant I didn't have to go thru the anxiety of a new launch! The new look was somewhat startling, but nice. Glad you got the header to scroll off the page...

Again, Thanks for the work you do to keep us rollin' along!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Hate the new look! Too bright!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 am However when trying to delete old private messages, I do STILL get the error message:

I will still look at this, I'm trying to parse down these all. I see another message about increasing the limit, the short story is I just changed it to 200 private messages is that enough? Since deleting isn't working or needs to go more? I have no idea what the default per user is but you can override the group so I bumped to whatever the default it which I haven't found to 200. Why not more? IDK let me know.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

1894cfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 am Hate the new look! Too bright!
You must be young ...

Many of the decisions I make for website's is based on who for the most part is reading it.
I'm guessing there's a lot of people on this site that at least own a set of reading glasses and sometime use them.
Me included and the last darn thing I want to have to do is stretch or move a screen around on a phone to see.
I admit I tend fo avoid the phone for message boards I typically just can't see well enough on a phone for most sites.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

David wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 am

I will still look at this, I'm trying to parse down these all. I see another message about increasing the limit, the short story is I just changed it to 200 private messages is that enough? Since deleting isn't working or needs to go more? I have no idea what the default per user is but you can override the group so I bumped to whatever the default it which I haven't found to 200. Why not more? IDK let me know.
The limit was set at 400 in the admin panel under "Private message settings". I reset it the other day to 500 messages as a stop gap measure so folks who've allowed their inbox to fill up would be able to get more messages while we (yeah, right, you - David - thanks for bailing us out) figure out why it won't allow us to delete old stuff.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Go to your control panel and screen settings. Turn down your contrast or brightness to your personal level you like.
I personally find the new screen just great for my old eyes.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Like 1894cfan---too bright. Liked the previous. I know I can go to control panel and turn it down, but then, it does that to other forums where I don't want it turned down

Don't think I am young, unless you count late 60's as young!!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Some nice features, e.g., the buttons upper right. However, I am old school as well and prefer the previous fonts. colors, etc. The orange really needs to go...not only too bright but any lighter, semi-transparent color is difficult to read for these old eyes.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is this the finished version? If so what is the upgrade?
Why phpBB on the top 1/3 of the screen?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 am Not to me! The header at the top takes up over half of my computer screen! I can hardly see the list of thread topics working with half a computer screen!
A roundabout way to fix this. hold down the ctrl button and roll the mouse scroll button up or down changes the resolution.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:41 pm Is this the finished version? If so what is the upgrade?
Why phpBB on the top 1/3 of the screen?
The upgrade is to make the them compatible with the version of the software so links work, I'm trying to fix the private messages but it's hacking the php code. It's fixed in the next minor version but I don't know when that comes out.

This theme works fundamentally the same as the last with the same header space, same scroll, etc.

You shouldn't see phpbb on top or it's in your cache.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That was it, thank you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rossim92 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:49 pm
A roundabout way to fix this. hold down the ctrl button and roll the mouse scroll button up or down changes the resolution.
Don't need to as it's fixed now so the header scrolls away like it used to now. But your fix wouldn't have worked anyway. All that does is reduce or enlarge the print size, but the page would still look the same.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

David wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 am
You must be young ...

Many of the decisions I make for website's is based on who for the most part is reading it.
I'm guessing there's a lot of people on this site that at least own a set of reading glasses and sometime use them.
Me included and the last darn thing I want to have to do is stretch or move a screen around on a phone to see.
I admit I tend fo avoid the phone for message boards I typically just can't see well enough on a phone for most sites.
Nope, 65!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

It all looks fine to me. Thanks for the update.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. New private messages come 'in' now so that's good...
...but I still can't delete old messages - I get "form submitted is invalid".

2. You software guys have the patients of saints. If I were a computer tech guy, there'd be lots of computers with bullet holes in them.... :o

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

alnitak wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:40 pm The orange really needs to go..
????? I don't see any orange on my view?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Small convenience item, active topics is now tucked into a menu. It used to be out and available w/o going through the menu.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I patched the php code, I believe message delete works now.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am Small convenience item, active topics is now tucked into a menu. It used to be out and available w/o going through the menu.
I think I can hack a fix for that if it's used a lot.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am Small convenience item, active topics is now tucked into a menu. It used to be out and available w/o going through the menu.
It's been "outed".
that's the icon your getting ;)

You will however probably have to clear you cache....
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

1894cfan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:19 pm
David wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 am
You must be young ...

Nope, 65!
Yeah...I'm 56 and use reading glasses all the time. The bright background is very harsh. I'm not going to change my PC setting to accommodate one site.
I haven't played with the setting much to see if it is adjustable for the forum.
Admittedly, I'm the founder of the "don't like change" group. :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Keeps logging me out if I hit Post Reply. As it did here.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But not this time.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had to log back in to post this. And, what are the open quote signs doing where the three dots would be to find edit?

But then here you see the three dots back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:05 pm Had to log back in to post this. And, what are the open quote signs doing where the three dots would be to find edit?

But then here you see the three dots back.
so I had to screw with cache live, it might have also screwed with you.

You should also see an active topics button before the members up there if you don't now you get to screw with YOUR cache ;)

Also if you "float" over the icons for a bit they will tell you what they do, but it takes like 3 seconds or so, you have to know to wait for it.