Stainless Tang Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Stainless Tang Sight

Post by dsmith512 »

Does anyone know if any one makes stainless tang sights?

I have several rifles that are stainless including Marlin 1895, EMF 92, Taurus Thunderbolt, and a Taurus 62.

My Taurus 62 has the Taurus tang sight on it but it was offered in blue only.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR AS YOU MIGHT GET IT !!
HAVE YOU EVER SHOT A GUN WITH UNFINISHED SIGHTS, SUCH IS TO SAY NOT BLUED NOR DARK IN COLOR ??
DO THIS FIRST AND WE'LL TAKE UP THIS DISCUSSION AFTER THAT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Me-thinks that glare from the sun would be a major reason why they're not typically offered, and why it might be a very bad idea to have one chrome or nickle-plated.

Blued sights -- and actions for that matter -- have been used in all sorts of weather conditions for 150+ years, and with reasonable care and upkeep, they weather (pun intended!) the conditions pretty well.

Prove it to yourself... Borrow a friend's bright stainless Vaquero and take it to the range on a really sunny day... I think you'll find that dark sights work best -- and you won't need to wear sunglasses to see 'em! 8)

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Good point, perhaps the aperture could be blued with the rest stainless.

I know with everything blued it really stand out on a stainless tang.

I have noticed that many of the Vernier sights have a blued aperture but the scales are in the white.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I have a blued scope on my SS Marlin XLR. I'll wipe the rifle & scope with Trewax w/o buffing it before I go hunting to dull the finish to prevent glare. www.trewax.com .I've been using it on my stocks & all of my revolvers ,shotguns & rifles for 30 years .BTW SS will deteriorate if not protected, so I wax mine.
Last edited by scr83jp on Tue May 13, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In the white doesn't look like stainless, does it?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I wonder if a brass insert would be enough to cut down the glare? I don't wonder enough to go try it though :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Hobie wrote:In the white doesn't look like stainless, does it?
Depends on how much you polish it. :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.