winchester 94 rebound hammer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

winchester 94 rebound hammer

Post by JNG »

Can anybody recommend a Smith to change my Winny 94 from a rebounding to a half cock model?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You need parts! Our own J. Miller wrote this article...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie, Thanks.

JNG,
"Most" gunsmiths won't do this work for you. They will claim liability concerns. And from their point of view I guess they are right.

Doing it is easy though. If you can take it apart and put it back together you can swap it out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

i have a win with the rebounding hammer it doesnt bother me what is it you guys dont like about it?is there some kind of premature failer to it?or just a personal preference.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

allen1980 wrote:i have a win with the rebounding hammer it doesnt bother me what is it you guys dont like about it?is there some kind of premature failer to it?or just a personal preference.
Allen,
Speaking for myself only: I didn't like it's feel, the extremely heavy, gritty and creepy trigger pull, ~and~ most of all since I've been shooting old style half cock lever actions since the mid 1960s I simply could not get used to this action.
I could not get used to it because I also had other older lever guns with the original style action. I was either forgetting to put the old style actions on half cock after shooting the rebounder, or I was fighting with the rebounder trying to put the thing on half cock after shooting the older rifles.
I considered the rebounding hammer action a safety hazard, and I got rid of it.

Others have reported an alarming number of Winchester and Miroku made rifles having misfires due to the rebounding hammer action. Mine never did that, but it's been almost 20 years since the action was removed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I have 3 other leverguns, this is the only one that does not have the half cock. If I had this one first, I do not beleive that this would be an issue. But it's not the first. To me it would be similar to a person who shoots a 1911 and then shoots a Glock. It's the fill. I'll let you know if my project is a success.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I forgot. Thank you Mr. Miller for posting the article. You got a great first name.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

allen1980 wrote:I have a win with the rebounding hammer it doesnt bother me what is it you guys dont like about it?is there some kind of premature failer to it?or just a personal preference.
What Joe said, it just don't "feel" right! I don't have a single AE 94 for the same reason; just as I like the 3 screw Ruger and Colts... something about not having a ½-cock safety just doesn't feel safe. Yes, the only safety worth a darn is between the ears, but...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JNG wrote:I forgot. Thank you Mr. Miller for posting the article. You got a great first name.

Joe
Don't we though :wink:

Joe