“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many.."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many.."

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an interesting tidbit of history from The Battle of Britain, courtesy of the Weapons and Warfare website I'd posted about earlier today...

- - - - -

Most of us know of this famous quote by Winston Churchill in the British Parliament on August 20, 1940:

“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

- - - - -

But perhaps few of us have ever heard the second part of that famous quote...

“All hearts go out to the fighter pilots, whose brilliant actions we see with our own eyes day after day.”

- - - - -

And I'd guess even fewer of us may know of the third part of the quote, which pays respects to the RAF Bomber Crews -- which were a key element of England's victory in The Battle of Britain, which history has largely glossed over in favor of the Hurricanes and Spitfires*.

“But we must never forget that all the time, night after night, month after month, our bomber squadrons travel far into Germany, find their targets in the darkness by the highest navigational skill, aim their attacks, often under the heaviest fire, often with serious loss, with deliberate careful discrimination, and inflict shattering blows upon the whole of the technical and war-making structure of the Nazi power.”

(* Yet even the Spitfires got more credit -- as there were actually more Hurricanes flown in the battle, with >55% of all kills.)

- - - - -

I recall my late father (who served on an RAF Base until the Yanks took over the Eagle Squadrons) telling me of this many years ago; and I thought I'd share it with you this evening.

Never Forget.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many.."

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for sharing.

And yes, NEVER forget. EVER.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I was just a schoolboy some of my teachers were in the RAF during the war, they loved telling us all about their experiences, as did the ex sailors and ex soldiers. My father was a Fireman all through the Blitz and had witnessed some awful sights.
My mother and older sister were both shot at by Luftwaffe pilots at different times and my brother, just a toddler, was taught how to recognize German aircraft from British and to run to the Anderson shelter if they were German.
Being born after WW2 I realised I had missed some very exciting and historic times.
I always feel so much appreciation to all who served in the Allied Forces to defeat the enemies of freedom. I despair at those who have forgotten or have never learned just how much we will always owe and now are so happy to give away those freedoms.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It was a unique time in history, and the air war is what undoubtedly preserved Great Britain. The British subjects who supported the pilots, the firewatch brigades, and all who provided their support in any other way also deserve remembrance. Living in those times had to have been difficult.

Never forget the Polish pilots who flew British planes and went after the Nazis with a single minded hatred which made for the highest kill ratio of all British squadrons at that time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Never, ever forget. 😞
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for posting this!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm Thanks for sharing.

And yes, NEVER forget. EVER.
+1
It is not the critic who counts