New '86/ Well the Ugly Duckling can Shoot!!(pcs.)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New '86/ Well the Ugly Duckling can Shoot!!(pcs.)

Post by 2ndovc »

Got my new /a little bubba'ed Browning 1886 from fellow forum member Warhawk yesterday. Showed up just in time for a trip to my cabin this weekend.

In my excitement getting it out of the box it slipped out of my hand and whacked me in the forehead! (need that little black eyed smiley) Let me tell you that that there's a lot of steel in that thing! I still have a knot on my head!

The barrel and mag tube have both been shortened and a bunch of holes drilled in the receiver for a mount.

Been thinking about a new 24" half round half oct. barrel, new stocks, get the holes filled and have the rec. case hardened.

I had originally planned on a new Shilo Sharps and sold off a bunch of stuff that was gathering dust. But, an expensive truck repair and another unexpected bill took a big chunk of $$ out of my gun fund.
So my thinking was that I can play with the 86 as is and save up a few bucks for the rehab.

So I'm heading off to PA with a bunch of lever guns and six shooters for a much needed mental health weekend! I need a few days in the woods !!!
Will post pictures Monday!
:D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ok,

Back from a nice quiet weekend in the woods.

After unloading the truck I pulled out the '86 and popped off a few rounds at stump. Was really pleased at how well it functioned and fired.

After getting a few other things done I got some targets to see what it could do.

Nice tight group but I was aiming at the lower right target :shock: The sights are pathetic. The rear is a full buckhorn and I don't think it's original. The front sight is so small it's a joke. But from that group ( 50 yds off hand) I can see what she is capable of. I like how steady it is when shouldered. So the barrel will probably stay.

Went on a 5+ mile hike with it Monday morn. and while it's heavier than my Marlin LTDIII it's not unpleasant to carry.

Still needs some work. The holes need to be filled. Neither set was done level with the top of the receiver. New stock and new sights for sure.

Just a nice quiet weekend to remind me that there is order in the universe :D
My best buddy, Abbey :D
8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Tue May 06, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Enjoy the weekend and burn some ammo for those of us that will be doing honey-do's this weekend.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RM,

I totally understand the need for some days in the woods. Enjoy your time.

And let us know the bubba'ed 86 shoots.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:D enjoy your time away!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Hey bud, you will enjoy the sheer heft, the feeling in your hands that you have a really serious piece of iron, with that 86. I hope you do fix it up and keep it a life time, I shot mine the other day 6 times out back here, what a hunk!!! Love it. Good week-end to you. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Congrats J. Gets the pics up. I still need to get the pics up of my new/used 26" barreled 86 SRC framed hybrid. 1886.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Have fun.

I thought those holes were drilled in there to lighten it up.

Course, ya get it too light and it's no good for whacking the splitting wedges or pounding in the tent stakes.

;)

Grizz
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IMHO, that gun don't need no fixin!
If Warhawk had needed a LNIB Win 94 356 BB, I'd be throwin' the Weaver side mount back on it, add a Leupold and hunt the doodoo out of it. Since it already has holes in it for the Lyman 66, I'd have it mounted too, with a hole in the butt for the part that goes over the receiver if it hit my scope. Might have to fix that stock prettier.

Have fun on your shoot!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Have fun with that '86. I think I'd leave it as is too. More packable in the form it's in.

I hear you about needing some time off.

That's the ticket. Time for a Holiday.
Old Law Dawg
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Have fun and please post pictures. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thats a neat little carbine, congrats!
Sounds like a fun project you have planed, wonder how much $ it would add to make it a take down with both barrels able to swap?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats, enjoy your weekend and the new carbine
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Keep the short barrel, put on some good looking wood and if you can't stand the holes (I couldn't), fill 'em! That would be one sweet rig. I had my eye on that one myself.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pictures added

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very Nice J. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A model 1886 "Trapper"? I'd do all you said you were going to do and put a full length magazine on it. That short mag looks terrible to me.

Oh and a taller front sight will bring those groups down.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great little spot of heaven you have there :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

J Miller wrote:A model 1886 "Trapper"? I'd do all you said you were going to do and put a full length magazine on it. That short mag looks terrible to me.

Oh and a taller front sight will bring those groups down.

Joe
I've been thinking about the mag tube too. Not sure. I kinda like the way it looks. Plus it would only add one more round. Not long enough for two.

Thanks Nath!! My favorite place in the world. My Dad bought it in 1967, the year I was born, for $2500. It's Priceless to me!

8)

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Glad to hear that you like it. I've found that my "project" guns never get completed, as soon as I get a few bucks ahead I find something else that catches my eye and my "project" fund is back to zero.

Better than someone like yourself have it, and enjoy it.
Ysabel Kid

Re: New '86/ Well the Ugly Duckling can Shoot!!(pcs.)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: I had originally planned on a new Shilo Sharps and sold off a bunch of stuff that was gathering dust. But, an expensive truck repair and another unexpected bill took a big chunk of $$ out of my gun fund.
I HATE it when that happens!

Cool gun! 8) Love your target-holder too!!! :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Cute gun and have a nice weekend 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Paratrooper Dave
Levergunner

New '86 ...

Post by Paratrooper Dave »

Jason,

Nice looking lever you have there and I am sure it will be lotza fun to shoot as well.

That six-shooter looks neat too. What's the manufacturer and model?

Also, I am just starting to look at slings for my five levers (all Marlins) and I like the looks of the one you have on your '86. Where did you find it and approximately what was the cost?

Thanks!

Paratrooper Dave
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New '86 ...

Post by 2ndovc »

Paratrooper Dave wrote:Jason,

Nice looking lever you have there and I am sure it will be lotza fun to shoot as well.

That six-shooter looks neat too. What's the manufacturer and model?

Also, I am just starting to look at slings for my five levers (all Marlins) and I like the looks of the one you have on your '86. Where did you find it and approximately what was the cost?

Thanks!

Paratrooper Dave

Hey Dave,

The reolver is an Old Model Super Blackhawk that I had worked over by Hamilton Bowen. I've posted it on here a couple times so I figured everybody was tired of hearing about it. I piced it up cheap at a show several years ago. It had almost no finish but didn't look abused and had a four didgit serial number. So for $250 I couldn't pass it up. I didn't care for the 71/2" barrel so I had Mr. Bowen shorten it, install new sights, action job and then he sent it to Turnbull for case hardening.
Here it is with my 39a. Hard to see how stunning the case colors are.

The Sling came from Kirkpatrick Leather. I think it was $45.00. I need a couple more. Really nice people. I have several of their holsters and other items.