Henry blue .357 carbine???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Henry blue .357 carbine???

Post by JerryB »

My son has been calling me a couple of times a week about buying an all around rifle. Years ago he had a Marlin 1894 .44 mag, sold it while in the Army ya'll know how that goes. He has been shooting mostly bolt guns and his M4 on the long distance range. Now he wants an around rifle to carry in his truck while taking care of his cattle. He was given a medical discharge before he could retire and can't shoot a .44mag anymore. I have been talking to him about a .357 carbine like my 92 Rossi and he thinks that is what he wants. They ain't to be found in Arkansaw. I told him that several of ya'll have the new Henry .357 guns and like them. He has decided on a blue carbine, what do you have to say about them?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry blue .357 carbine???

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I have a few Henry levers, among them a .357... Very well made, top of the line customer service..
Shoots well.. Haven't shot groups, don't care..
Mine are all the steel carbine versions, it's what I prefer.. Feeds .38 spec well...
(Also, .22, .44mag, 45-70, .44-40 1860-Brass..)
Bud's has good prices...

YMMV,

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Agreed on .357 rifle for all around use.
Shoots bullets from 110 gains to 180 grains and gets the job done.
Which brand is a matter of taste, preference, cost , and availability.
It goes well with a .357 revolver too.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

CRS, what brand is that in the picture? It's hard to tell.

I've been looking online Jerry. I can
t find a Rossi anywhere. Time is getting close, as in birthday close. The Henry looks great from everything I've seen, I just can't warm up to them. I might have to.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank you for the info. Where he is running cows there are some big hogs on the back end we thought the 180 grains would work for anything here in Arkansaw. As far as loading for .38spl he as been loading for that for a good many years. He has a model 15 I bought for his 21 birthday in 1987 while he was in the Marine Corp. I figure most of the time he'll carry heavy 38 loads in the rifle. It will have a Williams 5D sight as soon as he gets the gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rusty,
Rifle is Winchester 1892 made around 1907(uncertain as serial number on tang is quite worn). It was converted to .357 and has a 20 inch Douglas barrel, Bishop stocks, and Lyman peep. I bought it in the 1970's and have had the stocks refinished so it looks a little better now. It is quite accurate and easy and fun to shoot. Killed my first feral hog with it.

The 6 gun is M19 S&W, bought new in 1970s and shot a lot. My son first fired it when he was 5 years old; started him on .38s and worked up. Also quite accurate and fun to shoot.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd certainly be comfortable with a Henry....!

It isn't like next year if he doesn't like it, he can't "trade up" for something else, but truthfully, it's hard to beat a 357 levergun as an all-around totin' gun, regardless of who made it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in .357mag (16.5" barrel with the big loop). This is an excellent choice, I also have a Marlin 1894C (1980) which I like, but when I go hunting I take the Henry. Don't be put off by the reloading tube, it comes in handy when unloading at the end of the day, plus it's very functional... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jerry, Jr and I kicked this around a bit and he thinks the Rossi is the only way to go. I was trying to be objective but in all honesty I just can't warm up to the Henry either. He has a .44 mag Rossi that I got for him as his first rifle. I guess I'll just keep looking for my own .357.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Rossi had been re-tooling and upgrading the factory last I heard. I thought it should have been done by now though. Last I saw the 357's were to start trickling into the pipeline by now.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya either love em or hate em when it comes to Henry's.
Personally I really like my steel Big Boy in 41 mag. Goes well with my Blackhawk 41. A Marlin in 41 would be nice but as they say, Rare as hens teeth.
Is the Henry my go to? Dunno as I have bolt guns, AR's and cant forget my Ruger 44 carbine.
The carbine is lighter then my Henry but limited on capacity. 41 is a little flatter shooting.
But as soon as I find a few more C notes I'm gonna get either a 357 or a 327 Henry.
I like the odd ball rounds but having a S&W 66 it makes sense to go 357.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!