OT Boot heel 1 Copperhead 0

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

OT Boot heel 1 Copperhead 0

Post by JerryB »

Well boys I reckon it is officially spingtime in the Ozarks. Today I had my first of many yearly encounters with 'ol brother copperhead.A couple of miles down the road from the house I passed a big 'ol copperhead so I backed up and ran over his tail. I got out to tell him I was sorry and the old cuss was just fighting mad and wouldn't take my apology so I just said to heck with it and put my Justin boot heel on his head. I was
going to put a .38 in his head but it was just easier to stomp him.I didn't have a camera with me but I reckon he was about the biggest I have ever done away with.
Now if there is anyone from the Arkansa Game and Fish here this whole tale is a BIG old tale.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd a sure liked to see a picture of that Copperhead! Don't try that with bare feet!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Ya can't kill a snake in your state ?????
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bullard4075 wrote:Ya can't kill a snake in your state ?????
Shovel and shut up if you can't! :wink:
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I killed one once in the army the same way and got in trouble for it. The company commander said that I was endangering my life by doing so which would have been a waste of taxpayer money if I would have died. Only time I ever busted up laughing while at attention. To me, a copperhead is no different than a rattler and should die.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Amen brother morgan, Amen.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

When I was at Ft. Jackson, before we started our 3 day field exercise we were told not to kill any copperheads or rattlers. One recruit did and he got to carry the corpse in his rucksack and sleep with it for the next three days.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Most people bitten are bitten while trying to kill the snake. Personally, I have nothing against them and don't kill them unless they are right up by the house, or happen to wander into my camp.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry, the only good copperhead is a dead copperhead. That goes for rattlers too..
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I think I would hesitate stomping on the snake, that gets a little close to him and easy to maybe get bitten. But a big stick or gun or a spinning weed eater like I have would sure be put to use.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I can tell spring has finally sprung here in Indiana because I've had several encounters with our black rat snakes (non-poisonous). I like catching them to show the kids. The snakes like hang out in my storage shed, which is fine with me, better a couple snakes than mice chewing on the wires of my mower. I personally wouldn't kill any snake that wasn't intent on biting me,but I may feel differently if I had rattlers or copperheads close to my house.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Jerry,

There out in central Arkansas as well. I got home night before last and my wife and daughter told me they ran over a big one down the road from our house. It's good to have others around that like take care of those critters when I ain't around. :wink:

I have tons of stories about copperhead, rattlers and water moccasins(sp).

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I would rather have snakes around than mice and gophers. I won't kill any non venomous snakes and will only kill venomous ones that want to hang around my house.
Old Law Dawg
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Most all snakes are Rattle-Headed Copper Moccasins in my book..... :shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Killing all snakes anywhere and anytime you find them is just like shooting/killing any other animal, just because it's there. Why not take a shot at a deer or an eagle every time you see one? Makes about as much sense. I don't love em either. Don't want one in the house or right outside in the back yard. Don't want the dogs messin with one. I just take a shovel, pick em up and heave em over the fence. We'd be neck deep in rodents if not for snakes.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I moved a couple of black rat snakes out of Mom's woodpile this week. They don't bother me and I like that they eat the field mice and such. But rattlesnakes and copperheads aren't allowed around the house and showing up there is a death sentence for them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

We don't have poisonous snakes on this side of the Mountain where I'm at......I'd love to see more snakes around the house as I have problems with mice at times.......My old Terrier, Oreo, would kill anything critter-wise that he found in the yard....snakes and rodents alike.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

we only have the nearly extinct arctic python, which is white and has scales that resemble the fur on a polar bear; they are very hard to see in the snow.
i have stumbled over them while skiing of walking but they are always gone by the time you get up and look for them.
cable
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've killed two rattle snakes, maybe three in my life time.

The first one was curled up in my moms flower bed right besides the steps to our house in the desert. Way too close for safety.

The second was to test out a Broncho 410/.22 that I couldn't hit anything with. I honestly felt bad about that. There was no excuse for my actions.

I think the third was a snake I ran over. Couldn't do anything about that one.

I do not understand people, and I mean many of you on this forum, that simply kill to be killing. It makes no sense. There is no excuse for it. Snakes are part of the eco system that God created, and play a major part in the overall scheme of things. Indiscriminate killing of them is wrong. When you're out in the boonies pay attention to what you're doing and you won't run cross wise of a upset off rattle snake, cotton mouth, or copper head.

I was once out in the AZ desert with a friend of mine and a guy I worked with. The co worker was one of those who would shoot and kill anything that moved just for the hell of it. We came across a huge desert lizard and he shot it. No cause, no reason other than he wanted to kill something. But he didn't kill it right off, just mutilated the stuff out of it.
I had to tell him to go kill it and put it out of it's misery. He was enjoying watching the poor thing writhe in agony. He never went with us again.

Off my soap box now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

J Miller wrote: I do not understand people, and I mean many of you on this forum, that simply kill to be killing. It makes no sense. There is no excuse for it. Snakes are part of the eco system that God created, and play a major part in the overall scheme of things. Indiscriminate killing of them is wrong. When you're out in the boonies pay attention to what you're doing and you won't run cross wise of a upset off rattle snake, cotton mouth, or copper head.
+1 :x
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Growing up in Alabama, I bet I killed upwards of a hundred diamondback rattlers.

Ain't nothing like going out first thing in the morning to pick watermelons, tomatoes, or beans and have one come at you.

But I didn't kill them just to kill them. I killed them because they were where they could kill one of us.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I don't really see a need to respond to ya'll that condem me for killing a copperhead, I just want to say that if the day should come when you have kin folk or a close friend hit by one then write and tell me how you feel. And that's all I got to say about that.

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

J Miller wrote: Snakes are part of the eco system that God created, and play a major part in the overall scheme of things.
Joe
When God instructs me to stop dispatching venomous serpents...I'll humbly comply.

Until then............. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats why I have taken to carrying a Bond derringer Snake Slayer, with 3" .410 #9.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Dirty Dan wrote:Killing all snakes anywhere and anytime you find them is just like shooting/killing any other animal, just because it's there. Why not take a shot at a deer or an eagle every time you see one? Makes about as much sense. I don't love em either. Don't want one in the house or right outside in the back yard. Don't want the dogs messin with one. I just take a shovel, pick em up and heave em over the fence. We'd be neck deep in rodents if not for snakes.
I'm sorry and don't mean disrespect to you or others espousing this belief, but I'll have to go with those that say the fanged ones gotta go....Have you ever heard of non-venomous snakes performing the same housekeeping function you're concerned about? Any venemous snake anywhere near your property and loved ones -- especially concerning those of your family smaller of stature and including your dogs and cats -- is a snake that will be IN your close proximity one day sooner than you'd like to think and causing trouble. You have a rodent problem? - import a couple of king or bull snakes...Works here in Arizona, will work where you are too....and they'll also help keep the fanged ones away also.
Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirMaaLb2XE

Later EDIT: as to some earlier posts, I'm not talking "indiscriminate killing" or shooting lizards or anything else reasonably harmless - but ridding of fanged ones within and near your normal "public" rights-of-way--including camping spots, regardless of whether they were there first. I would like to see you explain to your wife or sister in law that their late little son, Johnny, should've known better than to go wandering behind the back fence, take a pee back behind the tent, or that they deserved to lose a loved one (or at the least go through enormous pain) 'cause they were unobservant and careless parents. You're absolutely right, don't understand some people...
Last edited by gak on Sat May 03, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

We don't have many snakes to speak of up here. If I were to run into one I would probably High Tail it out of the county. I don't like being around Snakes,Rats, or Bats. I have a Family of Racoon's living in my wood shed. Maybe the Mother keeps the snakes away, if so I will give her more fish to keep her around. My wife tosses her a slice of bacon, or a Smelt now and again when she gets close to the porch in the evening. They have been buddies for quite some time.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

hfcable wrote:we only have the nearly extinct arctic python, which is white and has scales that resemble the fur on a polar bear; they are very hard to see in the snow.
i have stumbled over them while skiing of walking but they are always gone by the time you get up and look for them.
:lol: :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Dirty Dan wrote:Killing all snakes anywhere and anytime you find them is just like shooting/killing any other animal, just because it's there. Why not take a shot at a deer or an eagle every time you see one? Makes about as much sense. I don't love em either. Don't want one in the house or right outside in the back yard. Don't want the dogs messin with one. I just take a shovel, pick em up and heave em over the fence. We'd be neck deep in rodents if not for snakes.
If I shot every deer I saw, I wouldn't expect to keep seeing deer.

This is why I kill every snake I encounter.

If there are mice and rats in the yard, the wife's 2 cats aren't doing their job and she's about to get some new cats.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

A neighbor lost a horse to a snake bite across the street from the elementary school. The last one I killed was at my horse barn. I kill one if I see it where there is livestock or people. That's pretty much everywhere I go.

I ain't apologizin'.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'll jump in on this. What's out in the boonies? If there are livestock that I have paid for, grand-kids, family, dogs in other words anything domesticated, then Rattlers, copperheads, coral, and moccasins have to go. I have hunted for years and walked around rattlers in areas were there was no domesticated animals. I don't kill anything unless it is harmful to what I'm trying to keep alive. We are at the top of the chain of predators. Moccasins are the worse around a tank. They have killed many a cow or calf biting them as they drink. The cow survives most of the time. They are the most aggressive snake I know of. That's my 2 cents.
"That'll Be The Day"