Bolt action caliber for North American hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Re: Bolt action caliber for North American hunting

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

I would pick the Savage 308, synthetic stock, blind magazine with a good 3-9-40 scope for a good all around hunting rifle. This rifle is light, has a great trigger, plenty of factory cartridges to choose from and will kill 95℅ of the game animals from small to large in North America.
As a matter of fact I already own this rifle in a left handed version, but I currently have a Nikon Monarch 4-16-50 bdc scope on it for long distance deer hunting.
Now if this also has to double as a self defense rifle I would choose the DPMS AP4 in .308 with a removable Mag (yes I know it's not a bolt action, but it's a fine 16" carbine AR10 platform that I have taken many wall hangers with).
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lots of good info here.

my pick, if I had to give up my semi-auto small bores and pick one bolt gun, would be the .458 Win Mag. why?

I like 45 calibers. I like the ability to throw heavy weights. I like the ability to throw heavies relatively fast. I like the TKO the 45s provide. I like that the 458 can be loaded to any and all 45/70 performance, right down to the 45 Colt ballistics. All from one gun.

My take on small bores, like the 30 cals, is that I want semi-auto fire power to make up for the slow delivery of the bolt guns. For this scenario: I have a half dozen deer down on the beach and I am processing them when I get charged by a coastal brownie. If I'm limited to a bolt gun, I want the 458. If I'm linited to small bore, I want the PT-91. I am too old and too slow to be cranking the bolt by hand.

Now if someone I trust is available for backup, I can hunt with any combo mentioned above.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Phil Shoemaker uses a .458 Win.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ADF&G used to, back in the day when they wanted to stop bears from eating them. Don't know how it is there now that bears are everyone's furry friend and the very thought of pepper sends them caterwalling up the mountainside.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Phil Shoemaker uses a .458 Win.
Good idea.....I do believe he proclaimed the 30-06 with a quality 220 to be useful, as well.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Just my opinion Mike....

I think a stainless barreled action, internal magazine,(your choice...Rem, Win or others), Cerakoted Satin Black, dropped into a laminated stock. Good 4x scope (or variable), with excellent detachable mounts including Talley or Brockman backup peep sight and a banded front sight from NECG.

Calibers?

Extremely practical in 30-06 ( 110gr up to 250gr bullets), easy to shoot, ammo availability just about anywhere in the world, versatile, and loads to cover all the species mentioned.

OR! (my choice :D ) the ever romanticized 35 Whelen, 1-12 twist, (158gr pistol bullets to 310gr Woodleighs). In my opinion better for the heavier species, still manageable recoil. Almost the same range ability as the '06. Same round count in the magazine. I feel it's a better all around caliber/round choice for the "what ifs". There are a several good factory loads, however it's mostly a reloader's game with this round.

Sounds like a great project Mike! I wish you sucess and have fun with it! :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

rjohns94 wrote:.308, 30-06, .300 win mag, 35 Whalen, .375 ?

Wood or synthetic stock ?

Blue, stainless, carbon wrapped barrel ?

Box fed or internal magazine ?

One bolt action rifle, all game caliber from hog to deer, to black bear, caribou, elk, moose.

Your choices? Why?
I don't "NEED" another bolt action rifle for game you listed as my model 70 Winchester in 30-06 gifted to me by my father-in-law 35 years ago fits the bill perfectly.
BUT... Being the enablers we all are in talking about our "WANTS" and me being an "old dog" I'd "want" a bolt gun in the traditional Mauser style CRF with large claw extractor and 3 position safety. Thinking inclement weather rifle I think I'd go with the Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H Magnum. Anything smaller is too close to my 30-06 specs. I already have "Smelly Nelly" my sporter Lee Enfield in 45/70 so realistically I'm already. But for you I say the Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H Magnum.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31