You live and learn YEE-HAW

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

You live and learn YEE-HAW

Post by gundownunder »

So I started to work up a new load for my Marlin 20" cowboy in .357
I had Accurate make up a new mold for me, (Gotta say, I love Tom's work) 358-175B.
With the minor mods I had Tom put in, it comes in right at 180gn. I had the gas check shank taken off and added an extra TL groove to return balance to the appearance. I don't actually need the grooves at all, as I Hi-Tek coat all my bullets these days anyway.
These loads are for my 200 meter CLAS shoot, so I need to get a bit of grunt out of them. Here in West Oz, 2400 and some other powders that my gun likes, and you blokes take for granted, just aren't available these days, so I went back to ADI 2205 (4227). Started at a sedate 12.5 gr and worked up to over 14 gr. Best 5 shot group at 50 was 1.5".
Cycling was really bad, so will have to work on OAL and try again. You'd think .1595 should feed through just about anything, but not this time. That bullet is rather full in the nose so a slightly shorter OAL will probably fix it all. I know that bullet goes through a friends Win 92 like gas through a goose, so I'm sure it won't take much to make it work in the Marlin.

OK, now to the live and learn part.
I recently had to develop a new load for my 32-20, and it hates 2205. A bit of research and I found out that a few guys on your side of the pond like AA2015 in their 32-20s, that's equivalent to 3031, and ADI Benchmark2. 16.5 gr of BM2 and I get a beautiful 1", 5 shot group at 50. I'm a happy camper.
So today, just for shots and giggles, I stuff 17 gr of the stuff into a 357 case under the 180 gr bullet, even though I've read several sources that say "it won't work, you'll leave bullets in your barrel, etc".
IT WORKS, 7/8" 5 shot group at 50, and that is the best group this rifle has ever shot with a cast bullet load in over 8 years since I bought it. It feels good, it's not screaming, but not a wimp load either. I don't have a crony so don't know what the true speed is, but I'm sure it will be useful.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You live and learn YEE-HAW

Post by Borregos »

Hey Bob, living and learning is hard to beat :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: You live and learn YEE-HAW

Post by Griff »

I just love experimenting. Hopefully I still can by the time I retire.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!