Pistol bullets at rifle velocities

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Pistol bullets at rifle velocities

Post by GunnyMack »

After gaining chronograph data for my 41 mag load I contacted Seirra and Hornady.
My load shows 1800+ FPS with 210 gr bullets. I was curious about velocity ranges that the Seirra Sportsmaster, Hornady XTP were designed for.
Seirra says 1800- sure no problem, should do fine for deer.
Hornady replies- the velocity range is 1000-1450.
Now I ask myself, what will the XTP do at 1800?
Guess I have to test for myself, HERE DEER, HERE DEER! Oh wait I have to wait until next month.

Nosler doesn't have contact via website other then by phone.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Pistol bullets at rifle velocities

Post by Bulldog »

I had wondered the same thing about the XTP in 44 magnum. So I fired my load of 24 gr. H110 with a 240 gr XTP from my 6" 629, and also from my Marlin 1894, into a stack of water soaked phone books. The load from the pistol clocked 1340 fps, and 1790 from the Marlin. The recovered bullets were nearly identical in weight and expanded diameter. The rifle bullet weighed 207 gr. and the pistol bullet weighed 209 gr. That settled my questions about the Hornady XTP bullets.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are two types of XTP, standard and magnum. That is for the .45, the ones I have. I believe they make magnum XTP's in .44 also for the Marlin .444 .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have used the XTPs a lot on whitetail deer in my muzzle loader. I use both 45 and 44, (with the correct sabot) and 200 and 240 grain (44) and 250 grain (45). They chronograph at about 1800 +/- and the recovered bullets, (I have several) show a perfect mushroom and retain almost all their weight. These are bullets that were intended for pistol calibers. I couldn't be happier with their performance. I have also used the 200 grain 44 in 44-40 loads for my 92 with which I only killed one little buck. I don't recall recovering any of the 3 bullets I hit him with. No, I didn't need to shoot him again, should have just waited for him to drop instead of shooting like I was in a SASS match.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Just now getting some data on the 460 with 240 gr XTPMag bullets. Getting hunting sized groups at 100 yds thru the Chrony at 2200 fps. Doesn't seem to like reduced loads, as groups open up and SDs skyrocket, but still working on it. Loaded five last night with 39 gr of 5744 to try when the rain lets up. Should be real close to Federal Fusion velocities in the 18.5 " bbl. Federal Fusion 260 gr JSPs are chronying 2167, 2132, 2192 and 2210. Four shots under an inch at 100 yds.
Tried three 452 240 gr XTP mags with 34 gr 5744 for a five and a half inch group, but centered with the factory stuff. Velocities of 1834, 1860, and 1852, hence the increase to 39 gr for the next test.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have only used an XTP to take 1 animal, a big hog. I used my ruger .44 carbine and a 300 grainer. The shot was about 15-20 yards, it went in 44 came out about 1" pig walked about 10 yards and fell over. Double lung/ top of heart.
I don't know what the velocity of that load was but I have always liked XTPs but was concerned about their 1000-1400 answer.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Please be cautious of shooting deer with pistol boolits @ rifle velocities.

FWIW, back in the mid-60's, when the .444 Marlin was 1st introduced, I lost a couple of deer to the (new) factory (Remington) loads, because the 240gr JSP's simply blew up the deer's near shoulder, allowing them to run off & be lost.

Apparently, when the .444 was 1st introduced, Remington loaded the new offering with .429" (.44 Magnum) pistol boolits - why/when I first got into handloading (Hornady 265gr JSP's).

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 265 was developed for the 444, lots of people had that happen!

My concern was exactly what you say, pistol bullets at rifle velocities. That's why I emailed Hornady and Sierra. Couldn't find an email address for Nosler. I keep forgetting to call Nosler.

All 3 brands shoot very well, so my pick is going to be which ever manufacturer says YES it's good at 1800, so far only a yes from Sierra.

I might order a box of Hawk 250's to try. Kinda pricey but they make a great bullet!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Finally spoke to a guy at Nosler!

He says their 210 will be good at 1800! They test/ have data for 1600 from pistol barrels.

I mentioned I was using a Henry in 41, he had no idea such an animal was on the market. Seems he is a 41 fan as well, has been trying to get his hands on a Marlin but the auction guns were too pricey.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!