OT Venting a little about holsters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

OT Venting a little about holsters

Post by coyote nose »

1.We are trained and told over and over and over about never ever pointing a gun, loaded or otherwise at anybody (unless of course we are trying to shoot them ie: self defense, etc). Over and over. So tell me why there are holster DESIGNED to have the barrel of a 45 ACP or 40 SW pointed right at my face or my chest from about 2 or 3 feet away while I am standing in line at a checkout aisle in the store? I am referring to the under the arm holsters that are worn under your shirt. Some place the muzzles pointing down, or at least down and to the back, but some have the muzzles pointing straight back......at whoever is behind you...which means it could be ME :evil:
2. Why is it so hard to find holsters with retention straps for the auto pistols? Great makes out there, but sorry, I may have to run, may have to jump down a flight of stairs...who knows. It seems irresponsible to me to holster a gun and let gravity or friction keep it in. I thought I was an oddball on this until i read an article a few days ago by Massad Ayoob who expressed some of the same sentiments. I once used a small of back holster with a AMT backup that did not have a retention strap. I'll try to be delicate here: I went to the john, dropped my trousers, sat down, the weight of the gun caused it to flip upside down. CLANK went the AMT onto the floor. Promptly sewed a retention strap on THAT holster.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

http://www.simplyrugged.com makes great holsters that only use properly molded fit to retain them. I've NEVER managed to shake the pistol loose, no matter what I do. And now I'm using his Inside Out straps for an IWB style carry there's even LESS chance of it coming loose. Proper fit, proper fit, proper fit - you can't beat a properly fit holster for concealed carry.

As for the horizontal carry shoulder holsters, can't help you there. The last one I had was a vertical carry that used a steel clamp to retain the gun, allowing it to be levered forward and down to release. Worked OK, but hard to conceal in a tropical climate...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I can agree with you 100% on the horizontal shoulder holsters -- but then, I don't care for concealed-carry shoulder holsters in general.

As for strapless holsters, it really depends on the design and quality. I have made a number of pancake-style holsters for use with revolvers and autos, and with these I can't dislodge the gun no matter what I do -- except draw.
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Sorry AmBraCol- I waited 13 long weeks on the boys in AK for my belt & holster, based mostly on good reviews here.

The belt is simply a wide, thick piece of leather with a stain that comes off on my Wranglers if I sweat much. It does not even have a keeper to hold the tail in place.

The holster is too tight for a one handed insertion of the pistol, yet while standing in the bed of my truck, bent over at the waist to lift a hog, the pistol slid out not once, but twice. The second time I laid it on the seat of the truck.

My first and last purchase from simplyrugged.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think the popularity of the underarm horizontal holster is a result of Sonny Crockett and the Miami Vice TV show way back in the dark ages... well maybe the dim ages.

I'll take a strong side carry every time. If you need concealment use an IWB model.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

There are some other brands, but De Santis is the only one I can remember now. These guys have good prices and service:

http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/default.asp?

I have a couple of DeSantis thumb break OWBs and they work fine, much better than I would expect for the $35 or so I paid to RF Holsters.

And for what it's worth, I have two 10 to 15 year old Kramer IWB #2s that have never lost a pistol; these are really good holsters, but worh finding a way to pay toay's price tag.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've had holsters with Breaks and without breaks.

The only ones that I have found actually NEEDED them were improprtly fitted/moulded or were slick nylon.

Your gun is not likely - at all - to come out of a properly moulded holster - kydex or leather. Even less so if it is an IWB holster.

My IWB Kydex for my SP101 is absolutely retentive - and has no strap.

My Uncle Mikes Paddle Holster for the same gun is smooth nylon. It needs a strap.

Most of the time a strap simply gets in the way and gives you a false sense security... 'cause if it gets unsnapped or is not snapped tightly enough your gun will still fall out.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I at times do use a Galco Miami vice shoulder holster that holds the piece horizontally. I use it mainly for undercover surveillance ops. You ever try drawing your piece from a strong side holster while seated in a car? Not very easy, sometimes almost impossible.

I pack a 1911, that has not only a thumb safety, but a grip safety as well. And, while the piece is holstered, the trigger is covered and the strap lies between the hammer and the firing pin. I index my trigger finger until on target or very close to being on target.

I realize it can be a big disconcerting looking at the bore of a handgun while holstered in a horizontal carry shoulder rig. But if I'm looking down the bore of a 1911 carried in one I'm not concerned. Now with a striker fired pistol I might think twice about it. But honestly I can't ever recall hearing a story about someone getting shot by a pistol being carried in a horizontal carry shoulder holster. I could be wrong. You have an examle?
Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's an interesting discussion - with pictures:

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/to ... IC_ID=4121
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I think the popularity of the underarm horizontal holster is a result of Sonny Crockett and the Miami Vice TV show way back in the dark ages... well maybe the dim ages.
I liked one when I had to work my way through medical school by filling in as the 'night pharmacist' in ghetto pharmacies - felt very comforting when worn under the little white or green (depended on the store chain) pharmacist's vest we had to wear.

I never wanted to wear it other places though, because it just isn't right to have a gun pointed right at the head of the person sitting behind you at a ballet, or standing behind you in line at the grocery. At least in the pharmacy when you're the only one or maybe one of two on duty, it isn't pointing at anything but a shelf full of bottles behind you.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Dirty Dan wrote:Sorry AmBraCol- I waited 13 long weeks on the boys in AK for my belt & holster, based mostly on good reviews here.

The belt is simply a wide, thick piece of leather with a stain that comes off on my Wranglers if I sweat much. It does not even have a keeper to hold the tail in place.

The holster is too tight for a one handed insertion of the pistol, yet while standing in the bed of my truck, bent over at the waist to lift a hog, the pistol slid out not once, but twice. The second time I laid it on the seat of the truck.

That's fine. I've had nothing but good service and good quality from Rob. I've never had one of his belts so can't speak to that. I DO, however, have three of his holsters, including one experimental IWB style that he's never cataloged. The two pancake style holsters are both oxblood colored and neither one has bled onto my clothing, not even the one I carry IWB.

As for one handed holstering, that's a matter of technique and practice - although I've managed to do it from the first attempt, only now I'm more adept at it. You grasp the weapon along the top, not by the grip, guide the muzzle with your finger, wiggle a little bit and into the holster it goes.

As for retention, I repeat - I've never managed to shake my gun out of one of Rob's holsters while it was on my belt. When using a public restroom (or private for that matter) a little care may be required, but again, I've never had a problem. Nor have several others of my acquaintance.

Did you give Rob a chance to make it right?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Dirty Dan wrote:Sorry AmBraCol- I waited 13 long weeks on the boys in AK for my belt & holster, based mostly on good reviews here.

Sorry Dan - I've waited sometimes too (on the ONE "boy" in AK) and got the belt. Have several holsters for guns from the New Vaquero to a couple of S&W N frames to S&W J frames to Colt Detective Special. I've done quite a bit of work, lift and tote, and hunting with these holsters. I've had a couple of incidents wearing them which caused me some pain but the gun was where it ought to be. One involved going head over heels, literally.

I can't see what the difference is but I've had no problems with mine. I also own several Bianchi, Galco, and other makes and they also work well. The belt had no loop for the tail but it works for supporting a gun and the tail will go in the belt loop on my pants so that I can control it. I do know that if there is something you don't like, Rob will make it right. If you haven't asked that's your own fault.

Personally, I always prefered the thumbsnap strap on the holsters and have the same on my Bianchi #3 for my S&W M13 and on a Bianchi 7L for my 1911. Of course those guns stayed in place despite sometimes doing rather rugged demonstrations wearing them. Then again, I also have a Galco IWB sans strap and the Commander never found a way out that didn't involve my hand properly on the gun. Then again I don't ride horses or bulls. So, I guess I've got mixed feelings on the subject of retaining straps.

I'll tell you that I don't like the horizontal shoulder holsters either. They and the inverted holsters don't feel right to me. However, all holsters have the barrel of the gun pointing somewhere, as do cases, boxes, etc. It is always possible that somebody will cross a part of their body in front of the muzzle. While I don't deliberately (or is that "deliberately don't") point the muzzle at anything I don't intend to destroy, the muzzle is always pointed somewhere which mandates control of that trigger! Too, I might be more inured to the idea as we see lots of muzzles in the military no matter what the training has been just because of the density of users.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:Most of the time a strap simply gets in the way and gives you a false sense security... 'cause if it gets unsnapped or is not snapped tightly enough your gun will still fall out.
I have seen that with the nylon holsters. Some seem to "squirt" the gun without a strap!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson