16" 30/30 velocity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

16" 30/30 velocity

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Anyone here reload for 30/30 with 16inch barrel. and do you chronograph the velocity, would like to what bullets and powders you use.. TODD
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Todd,

I do load for a 16" Win 94 Trapper in 30-30. I've never chronographed any of the loads. I'd like to some day though.

My best, most consistent, most accurate load for my Trapper is straight out of Winchesters data books.
Win LR Primer
34.5grs of Win 748
150gr bullet.

I've used every brand of case and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
And I've used all the top name bullets. Speer, Sierra, Hornady. This trapper has a bit of preference for the Speer bullet but does well with the others too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I got 1900 fps with a 164 gr cast using IMR 4895 w/o trying too hard. I don't remember off the top of my head the charge. I'll have to look it up.