glenfield 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

glenfield 30-30

Post by JNG »

My friends father (80+) gave me a Glenfield 30-30. Today I shot it for the first time. It shouts tits., But after 4 shooting it 3X I could not pull the lever back. I called Marlin and they said to take it to a gun smith.
Marlins are simple. The gun has not been fired for 40 years. Thoughts on the fix?
Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: glenfield 30-30

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are many things that could cause that. A basic inspection should reveal the problem in short order. A little more info would help though.is the bolt stuck open or closed? I am sure you will be able to find the problem. From a loose loading gate to debris in the action. There are many things to look for.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I bet it's just dirty and gunked up from age. I have one that I got cheap, made in '69, was rode hard and put away wet. ugly,ugly . once I cleaned the bore and action it functions and shoots better than a new rifle. one of My favorite guns.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JNG wrote:...But after 4 shooting it 3X I could not pull the lever back... Thoughts on the fix?
Joe
Can you translate that sentence... I'm reading that you shot 3 times, and now can't get a 4th round into battery. Is that right? With the lever forward is there a 4th round on the carrier? If so, can you jiggle it around and get it out, or is the lever partially back, (bolt forward), with the cartridge stuck partially in the chamber?

It could also be that the 4th round slipped under the carrier and you have the dreaded "Marlin Jam." In this case, take the mag tube out and pull that cartridge out from the front of the receiver; will also entail taking the forend off.

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I bet the loading gate screw is loose