marlin model 57m

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

marlin model 57m

Post by fordwannabe »

I recently bought a Marlin model 57 M . I bought it because it is in really good shape and the price 350 seemed ok, and that only flick your fingers to make it cycle action made me laugh. Ok so what can the enlightened crowd here tell me about it. Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: marlin model 57m

Post by hfcable »

I have one....very smooth and accurate; well balanced , sized well to fit an adult. it is super accurate for me. has taken care of a number of Montana prairie dogs
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had one of those .22 Mag Levermatic's in 1966, just before my service discharge, and thought it shot very well.

Marlin made the similar Model 56 (but no MonteCarlo stock) & Model 57 in .22LR, and a CF rendition (Model 62) in .256 Win Mag & .30 Carbine.

There's a nice article by John Malloy, about the Marlin LeverMatics, in the "Articles" section of our home page: ( www.leverguns.com )

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/malloy.htm

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and I think the Remington model 76 nylon stocked 22lr lever gun also used that type of action.

being just a teeny bit obsessive I have one of those and the 56. 57. 57M. 256 and 30 carbine versions.......

I guess I do have a bit of a habit.
cable
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Have always thought a 62 in .30 Carbine would be fun to have as a companion to my .30 Blackhawk.

Post by hfcable »

Larkbill wrote:Have always thought a 62 in .30 Carbine would be fun to have as a companion to my .30 Blackhawk.
they are smooth, fast throw actions, well balanced and accurate......you are right !
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I bought one at an auction two years ago just so I could shoot up a dozen boxes of mag ammo I had laying around. That baby was a shooter and very little drop out to 150 meters.

After the ammo was gone I sold it to Gunny for $200 and I believe he still has it.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Larkbill wrote:Have always thought a 62 in .30 Carbine would be fun to have as a companion to my .30 Blackhawk.
I know it would be heresy, but I'd like to rechamber one to 32-20....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

A Master class shooter at our silhouette club shot a perfect 60x60 score with a Marlin 57M during an NRA Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge match a few years ago. It would have been a new national record high score, but our sanctioned matches are NRA "Approved" rather than "Registered", so NRA does not recognize the score for the record books. :(

I'd say those 57M's shoot pretty good!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta wrote:A Master class shooter at our silhouette club shot a perfect 60x60 score with a Marlin 57M during an NRA Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge match a few years ago. It would have been a new national record high score, but our sanctioned matches are NRA "Approved" rather than "Registered", so NRA does not recognize the score for the record books. :(

Shasta

Yea....those 57's may be excellent shooters but as a guy who has been playing the silhouette game for over 10 years knows its more the shooter and less the gun. If someone gave me a one hole shooting gun, I'd be lucky to get a 32x40. That bud of yours has nerves of steel.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Mr_Sixgun wrote:
Shasta wrote:A Master class shooter at our silhouette club shot a perfect 60x60 score with a Marlin 57M during an NRA Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge match a few years ago. It would have been a new national record high score, but our sanctioned matches are NRA "Approved" rather than "Registered", so NRA does not recognize the score for the record books. :(

Shasta

Yea....those 57's may be excellent shooters but as a guy who has been playing the silhouette game for over 10 years knows its more the shooter and less the gun. If someone gave me a one hole shooting gun, I'd be lucky to get a 32x40. That bud of yours has nerves of steel.---6
+1

Post by RJM52 »

Had one for several years back in the 1990s.... Would shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards with the traditional Winchester and CCI 40 grain HPs and FMJ ammo... With the new lightweight HPs would do no better than 3" at the same distance.

They are excellent well built rifles... The one I always wanted of course is the rarest one... .22 Jet. I have only seen one in person and one or two in magazine articles...

Bob
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Picked up a ratty beat to stuff Revelation model at a gunshow for $50. It was a Marlin model 57 in 22 long rifle made for the hardware store. Takedown bolt was missing, with a sheet metal screw in jammed into the aluminum receiver in its place. Hardwood stock, tube feed. Drilled and tapped the hole for a bigger machine screw, and my buddy and I took it out and shot it. The short stroke lever action made us smile, and it was pretty accurate. Got rid of it but was watching for one of the steel receiver models when one walked in to a gunshow, and I grabbed it. The new one is a clip fed model 56. Really rough on ground squirrels..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

RJM52 wrote:Had one for several years back in the 1990s.... Would shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yards with the traditional Winchester and CCI 40 grain HPs and FMJ ammo... With the new lightweight HPs would do no better than 3" at the same distance.

They are excellent well built rifles... The one I always wanted of course is the rarest one... .22 Jet. I have only seen one in person and one or two in magazine articles...

Bob
wow !! you have seen the 22 jet !?! some writers say they only produced a very few, maybe just test models? a few writers have said they didn't make any......now i have another quest to add to my list !
cable