The Revenant rifle Made In PA.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The Revenant rifle Made In PA.

Post by cshold »

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Revenant rifle Made In PA.

Post by Merle »

Most people don't know that the "Kentucky" rifle was originally developed in PA. It evolved from the German Jaeger rifle, and was built by the transplanted German gunsmiths in the eastern part of PA. 8)
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Beautiful gun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

The prop guys cut the barrel after they got it. I don't remember how many inches. Ron was a little disappointed when he seen what they did to hid rifle.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Merle wrote:Most people don't know that the "Kentucky" rifle was originally developed in PA. It evolved from the German Jaeger rifle, and was built by the transplanted German gunsmiths in the eastern part of PA. 8)
Yes. It was developed in Pa. but as I understand it, it was for the Kentucky frontier.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Fine rifle there, thanks for posting. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hondo1892 wrote:The prop guys cut the barrel after they got it. I don't remember how many inches. Ron was a little disappointed when he seen what they did to hid rifle.
Wow.... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since everybody was wondering what I wanted for my birthday this year. :D :D
http://www.recreatinghistory.com/?portf ... al-guns-10
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Merle wrote:Most people don't know that the "Kentucky" rifle was originally developed in PA. It evolved from the German Jaeger rifle, and was built by the transplanted German gunsmiths in the eastern part of PA. 8)
And reached it epitome of functionality with the J&S Hawkens of St. Louis!
Not as embellished, but a .53 of no small stature!!! Big enough for men, but not pretentious like those .54s!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
And reached it epitome of functionality with the J&S Hawkens of St. Louis!
Not as embellished, but a .53 of no small stature!!! Big enough for men, but not pretentious like those .54s!! :P
:wink: Here we go.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

And just to reinforce my WEENIE status, ( thanks, Doc) I only shoot a 50 cal flinter...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Les Staley wrote:And just to reinforce my WEENIE status, ( thanks, Doc) I only shoot a 50 cal flinter...

I have a 54 cal flinter by TC - never cared for small bores! :lol:
Merle from PA
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Since the "Kentucky", "Pennsylvania" rifle discussion started. Here is what is know now. In recent years we've learned a lot more about them. Back in the day when they were used they were called "rifle guns". The "Kentucky rifle" name was never used until the 19th century, sometime around the War of 1812. Even then it was used only by city folks back east. Where it was first made nobody knows for sure, maybe Pennsylvania. The early gun makers were mostly Swiss, German and Austrian. However the famous Bean family from Tennessee, arrived in Virginia in the late 17th century and they were gun makers then and they were Scot/Irish. There were others also. "Kentucky" rifles were being built in Virginia the 1750's and North Carolina in the 1760's that we know for sure but they may have been making them in these regions earlier. It is believed right now that the American rifle started sometime in the 1740's or 1750's. Rifles in the north tend to be more Germanic and the ones from the south tend to show more English influence. The Moravians from Germany were a huge influence in Pennsylvania and to a smaller degree in North Carolina. We have learned much from the Moravians about the early rifle manufacturing here in the colonies because they kept such good records, not because they were the only ones building. Up until a few years ago it was thought that the farthest north that iron mounted rifles were made was Virginia but there is a nice iron rifle by Thomas Tileston,, dated 1773 from Boston. Many of the old ideas have been proved wrong in the last ten to fifteen years. There is much more research done now probably because of the internet and many records electronically stored now. There is much more info on these great guns but my little brain can't store all that info and I don't feel like digging out all my resources right now.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Heck, Hondo, I built an iron mounted 40 cal flintlock in MICHIGAN! That's purty far north.. I'll dig it out and show some pictures one of these days..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

The Lancaster County Museum here in Pennsylvania contains several old flintlock rifles built and rifled locally in the 1700's. At the time, gun making was a common industry within the county. Some apprentice rifle makers headed west to form their own businesses. These rifle designs eventually came to be known as Kentucky rifles.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!