Shoulder Holsters ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Shoulder Holsters ???

Post by .45colt »

Never have had one. I want one for My 4" Redhawk .45/45 ACP. Though I live in a rural area I don't like what I think I see...Anyone have experience ? looked around and seems like it's easy to go north of $100 in a hurry. want some thing that will be easy to where even in the summer. Thanks Guys.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Shoulder Holsters ???

Post by Griff »

I have a Bianchi X-15 for my Colt Commander. Even had a couple of suit coats altered to hide it better... While the holster still fits, very adjustable, the suits no longer do!! It is quite comfortable, but, limits some movement... and you always know it's there. It doesn't have any provision for carrying extra mags or loaders on the off side, the new one might... always felt this was it's biggest drawback. Then the powers that be said I had to qualify wearing my carry holster, but wouldn't let me use the shoulder rig for qualifying! Muzzle direction on the range was a "safety" issue! Been hanging in my closet for years... Last time I used it was for a hunting trip several years back.
Mine doesn't have the retention strap across the front. Can you find ANY quality holster & belt combo south of $100? Because a shoulder rig does take care of both requirements.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I don't mind a shoulder holster with my 3" Model 60, or with a smaller automatic like the Walther PP or Beretta 71, but the larger holster needed for a 1911 is a lot less comfortable and a lot less concealable.

The X15 has a good reputation but quite frankly I find the Goodrich and Gould shoulder holster to be more comfortable and I find a jackass rig (Galco and Triple K both sell what is a pretty generic design) to be more practical and better balanced, particularly with a large frame automatic.

In any case, yu'll probably find you need to have your tailor let your suit out a bit on the left side.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like my Bianchi X-15 and my Alessi, both for shoulder carry of large-frame revolvers.

The Alessi is flatter. Both require a loose un-tucked shirt or jacket, although in our rural area I would be comfortable on a hot day with nothing worn over it and just laying a towel over that shoulder... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Are you wanting it for concealment of just for carry?

Concealment brings on a wealth of problems. The biggest of which is safety, as Griff explained. It's almost impossible to draw and not muzzle sweep someone else and it can be difficult to not sweep yourself.

If you want something just for carry where concealment is not an issue you might want to consider a chest rig. A Chesty Puller from Simply Rugged is a nice rig. El Passo Saddlery also has some nice stuff. The Chesty Puller can also be used as a belt holster if you want to ditch the harness.

I use a Simply Rugged belt holster for my 4" .44 Redhawk but use carpenter's suspenders from Home Depot to keep my pants up as part of that rig. It's a heavy gun and I was born without a but, what can I say.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have to second the Simply Rugged Chesty Puller rig. I got over using a shoulder holster for concealed carry years ago. But, I've found that chest carry while fishing and even just bumming around the local deserts is pretty handy. Fall on your but one time with an open bottom holster and stuff sand in the muzzle and you'll understand.
Last edited by jeepnik on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Guys, I'm trying to get in the habit of carrying around the property, when I'm out back or mowing ,cutting wood ect might sound crazy but the old farm across the street has been abandoned for two years now and the Neighbors house went up for sale last fall and has been empty since . I love the peace and quiet but at the same time the empty buildings invite trouble. I'm getting to old to fight and don't want to be surprised empty handed.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Maybe that is why they are called handguns, because they are so handy!!!!!!!!!
My preacher has been telling our church that we need to be prepared for the thugs that leave the cities and come to the country for easy pickings. I stay ready, neighbors are few and we live in the woods. Most of the time I holster carry but sometimes I Mexican carry when working outside or taking care of my chickens.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Mine looks a lot like Griff's but has an S&W logo stamped on it and the numbers 43 and 59. The 1917 Smith cut to 3 1/2" fits perfectly in it. I got it used so who knows what it was actually made for. No provision for reload on it either but I just drop a full moon of my favorite 45 ACPs loaded with XTPs in my pocket, (maybe 2). I'm so fat it doesn't show at all and is actually very comfortable under a sport coat. The harness fastens to the belt on the off side and the bottom of the holster has a velcro loop around the belt on the other side. Makes it's own suspenders.

Around the place here, something usually resides in the back pocket of my bib overalls. Might be a 4 3/4" SAA, Bislely, 4" 1911. Whatever strikes my fancy. We're very rural here though our road has asphalt on it now and there are all kinds of varmints around, including hogs, bears and mountain lions none of which I worry about as much as the bipedal ones.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've been using Uncle Mikes' http://www.midwayusa.com/product/265726 ... ylon-black that I see is available at Midway for $40. I wear my Ruger Redhawk somewhat higher than the fellow in the catalog picture -- closer to my armpit so it stays out of the way better when working. Had this about 25 years but only wear it occasionally (7 1/2" Redhawk is not my usual carry pistol). I got it adjusted to fit and then used a big safety pin to keep the cross-strap area in the back from shifting around -- maybe Uncle Mike has a more elegant solution 25 years later, but that was my only complaint about it at the time and the pin fixed it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Try "diamonddcustomleather.com
They have several shoulder holsters available, the one I got was the Guides Choice, one each for my G21, G23 (works in a pinch for G27) and .357 New Vaquero.
They are kinda pricey, but WELL worth it! HTH
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster has been around for many years, and now DeSantis sells the same style. Holstering a full-sized Colt 1911 .45 (Mk IV Series 70 .45 ACP) pistol, I have worn it all day (many times) with comfort and undetected under a lightweight jacket. There is no connection to the belt line, but the counterbalanced magazine holders help stabilize the rig. The jacket itself helps, too. If you hang it fairly low below the armpit, there is no detectable bulge front and back as you move around.

I have not checked, but research might indicate that this holster is also available for your revolver.

Some thoughts, from one who has worn shoulder holsters of various types:
* Before you think about purchasing one, your (ahem) girth matters. If you live the life of Bacchus now, - wine, women, song and especially food being a pastime, the shoulder holster may not be a good option. Test your situation by reaching around your chest to see if you can get to your shootin' iron without contorting yourself!

* A shoulder holster is handy if you don't have a long outer shirt or garment. You may have noticed that with a standard outside-the-pants shirt when you bend or twist, your belt level IWB clips or holster reveals itself. Or just getting into a chair at a restaurant, with your shirt brushing the back, sometimes this exposes your standard concealment holster or its belt clips unless you take great care. That in itself - cradling yourself into a chair or booth - calls attention to the fact that you are possibly toting a firearm. Street-wise folks will pick up on that.

* With a properly fitting shoulder holster / gun combination, it is easier to put your gun into play from a car, and it is easier to get in and out of a motor vehicle. Maybe mounting a horse, too? I don't know.

* As noted above, there is a skill to not putting others in jeopardy on a quick presentation of your firearm. Many rangemasters will not permit a cross-draw holster of any type.

* For smaller revolvers, the old Berns-Martin Lightning ("upside down," "armpit") shoulder holster, where the revolver handle is hanging down, is a great option. I have similarly carried an airweight .38 snubbie in one of these quite comfortably on many occasions over a period of many years. You could forget it is on. It all depends upon the size of the firearm. Were the little .38 heavier, I might have wanted an ammo carrier on the opposite side to counteract the weight.
(Nevada Leather's version - not an endorsement, just an example that I quickly found on the Internet)

* Yes - expect to spend a bit more than $100.00, but with the right brand, your holster(s) should last a lifetime. You get what you pay for.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

M. M. Wright wrote:Mine looks a lot like Griff's but has an S&W logo stamped on it and the numbers 43 and 59. The 1917 Smith cut to 3 1/2" fits perfectly in it. I got it used so who knows what it was actually made for. No provision for reload on it either but I just drop a full moon of my favorite 45 ACPs loaded with XTPs in my pocket, (maybe 2). I'm so fat it doesn't show at all and is actually very comfortable under a sport coat. The harness fastens to the belt on the off side and the bottom of the holster has a velcro loop around the belt on the other side. Makes it's own suspenders.

Around the place here, something usually resides in the back pocket of my bib overalls. Might be a 4 3/4" SAA, Bislely, 4" 1911. Whatever strikes my fancy. We're very rural here though our road has asphalt on it now and there are all kinds of varmints around, including hogs, bears and mountain lions none of which I worry about as much as the bipedal ones.
Just can't bring myself to chop the barrel on any of my 1917's. That extra bit of barrel has never been a problem carrying cross draw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

JohndeFresno wrote:The Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster has been around for many years, and now DeSantis sells the same style. Holstering a full-sized Colt 1911 .45 (Mk IV Series 70 .45 ACP) pistol, I have worn it all day (many times) with comfort and undetected under a lightweight jacket. There is no connection to the belt line, but the counterbalanced magazine holders help stabilize the rig. The jacket itself helps, too. If you hang it fairly low below the armpit, there is no detectable bulge front and back as you move around.

I have not checked, but research might indicate that this holster is also available for your revolver.

Some thoughts, from one who has worn shoulder holsters of various types:
* Before you think about purchasing one, your (ahem) girth matters. If you live the life of Bacchus now, - wine, women, song and especially food being a pastime, the shoulder holster may not be a good option. Test your situation by reaching around your chest to see if you can get to your shootin' iron without contorting yourself!

* A shoulder holster is handy if you don't have a long outer shirt or garment. You may have noticed that with a standard outside-the-pants shirt when you bend or twist, your belt level IWB clips or holster reveals itself. Or just getting into a chair at a restaurant, with your shirt brushing the back, sometimes this exposes your standard concealment holster or its belt clips unless you take great care. That in itself - cradling yourself into a chair or booth - calls attention to the fact that you are possibly toting a firearm. Street-wise folks will pick up on that.

* With a properly fitting shoulder holster / gun combination, it is easier to put your gun into play from a car, and it is easier to get in and out of a motor vehicle. Maybe mounting a horse, too? I don't know.

* As noted above, there is a skill to not putting others in jeopardy on a quick presentation of your firearm. Many rangemasters will not permit a cross-draw holster of any type.

* For smaller revolvers, the old Berns-Martin Lightning ("upside down," "armpit") shoulder holster, where the revolver handle is hanging down, is a great option. I have similarly carried an airweight .38 snubbie in one of these quite comfortably on many occasions over a period of many years. You could forget it is on. It all depends upon the size of the firearm. Were the little .38 heavier, I might have wanted an ammo carrier on the opposite side to counteract the weight.
(Nevada Leather's version - not an endorsement, just an example that I quickly found on the Internet)

* Yes - expect to spend a bit more than $100.00, but with the right brand, your holster(s) should last a lifetime. You get what you pay for.
This is the most comfortable of any of my shoulder systems made by Jackass (I am Old) & Galco. I have a couple of this design I carry 1911s, S&W 44 mags, and Sig 229s in and have jumped this system with 1911s and carry a 44 Mag on the outside of my coat in Alaska in the brush.
It is not the critic who counts
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Only shoulder holsters I've owned have been for scoped big frame revolvers or Contender/Encore single shots . But once you got used to the big lump under your left arm they weren't so bad .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've never been too comfortable in a concealed style shoulder rig, feels like I'm trussed up in a bra or something.
That said, I find the Chesty Puller from SR to be fairly comfortable when used with their pancake holsters. I still prefer belt carry for CCW and farm work but when you're fishing it's nice to have the gun up away from the water.

Eric
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

jeepnik wrote:
M. M. Wright wrote:Mine looks a lot like Griff's but has an S&W logo stamped on it and the numbers 43 and 59. The 1917 Smith cut to 3 1/2" fits perfectly in it. I got it used so who knows what it was actually made for. No provision for reload on it either but I just drop a full moon of my favorite 45 ACPs loaded with XTPs in my pocket, (maybe 2). I'm so fat it doesn't show at all and is actually very comfortable under a sport coat. The harness fastens to the belt on the off side and the bottom of the holster has a velcro loop around the belt on the other side. Makes it's own suspenders.

Just can't bring myself to chop the barrel on any of my 1917's. That extra bit of barrel has never been a problem carrying cross draw.
Jeepnik, It came that way when I traded for it so I had no choice. It's been nickled too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS