Handling Assaults, Mugging

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Handling Assaults, Mugging

Post by JohndeFresno »

The recent attack on a U.S. Marine hero by some racist losers prompted me to remember a tactic that might be increasingly useful to consider.

We have heard and/or read of several shopping center muggings where two or more persons approach their victim with a feigned request for directions or information, then at the last moment attacked or produced a knife or gun at close range.

The recent cowardly attack on a U.S. Marine hero by several "Black Lives Matter" advocates puts a fine point on the need to prepare for self-defense in a lawful manner. Otherwise, criminal liability, civil liability, perhaps riots by some special interest rabble rousers in your town.

Here is one possible tactic that might provide at least a layer of defense for your actions, should things look like they are going South. This tactic calls for one of those very small O.C. sprays that fit in your palm and that are otherwise not visible. My particular brand allows for the attachment at one end for a key ring. But then it is not as concealable in your palm.

1) Of course, avoid as much close contact as possible with any groups of persons unknown to you. Especially if they are acting in an agitated or unusual manner. You can usually spot them quite easily, before the confrontation occurs.

2) If they approach you, find a way to increase the distance between you and the suspicious persons. Reach into your pocket for your concealable spray.

3) If they keep approaching, say in a firm voice, "Back off." Some will advocate, "Please back off." I personally think that the atmosphere these days does not call for that, since we all know (or should know) what is happening. Especially if their ethnicity is different than yours. Sorry, that is what has happened.

4) If they keep approaching, spray around you in an arc, or into attackers' eyes if you have time. If you have aerosol, make sure that there is no breeze coming toward you. Or use one of those new gel sprays. If it turns out that you were over-reacting for some reason, it is better being sued for "pain and suffering" than for doing something that caused wrongful grievous or fatal injury.

5) If the spray does not deter the advancing person or persons - they fend it off or you miss - you can better articulate in court later that you felt threatened for whatever reason, tried to warn your attacker(s) away and use the minimum force necessary to protect yourself before using deadly force.

If there are some other responsible ideas (other than locker room bravado or, "When in doubt, shoot it out"), let's hear what you have to say.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handling Assaults, Mugging

Post by FWiedner »

My understanding of the attack on the Marine is that he was attacked from behind while dining. He left himself exposed.

Observe and learn.

Place yourself in a defensible position, or be acutely aware of your surroundings.

Never turn your back on an a-hole, and try to have a plan before you put your butt in a chair.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Fred nailed it. Never sit back to the room, always know where the exits are, scan the room and eyeball anyone suspicious. I have deterred situations simply by making it clear I was watching the persons with extreme suspicion before they ever got close.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

No, I read an article and saw an enclosed video of a news report that documented that he tried to avoid the troublemakers who came to his table. They tried to get him to agree that "Black lives matter." He chose to ignore them and say nothing. They continued haranguing him in the restaurant.

A radio talk show host in my area (KMJ radio 580 AM) discussed this and revealed the fact that he already stood out, being either in the minority or perhaps the only white patron of a McDonald's restaurant full of African-Americans.

I'm NOT going to second-guess this hero, but merely suggest that, in hindsight, if he had been able to tell them to leave him alone with a backup of O.C. or teargas available, he could have then left the scene without injury.

The assault occurred outside McDonald's as he was leaving, per the video clip that I saw. It was caught on camera.

"The black teens allegedly called the veteran Marine a racist as he attempted to walk away from them and leave the restaurant. Once he was outside..."

I've saved the article I read into a Word document, and I believe that the link at the end of the article will call up the same information:
"Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2804985/chris- ... tCHwzyf.99 "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I stand corrected... Yet the object lesson remains the same.

The gentleman, in his attempt to extricate himself peaceably from a situation going down-hill, left himself exposed.

As I suggested earlier, he allowed an a-hole to get behind him.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

" I have deterred situations simply by making it clear I was watching the persons with extreme suspicion before they ever got close"

How, pray-tell, do you know this?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2571 wrote:" I have deterred situations simply by making it clear I was watching the persons with extreme suspicion before they ever got close"

Go bait someone else.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2571 wrote:" I have deterred situations simply by making it clear I was watching the persons with extreme suspicion before they ever got close"

I don't know how sore shoulder knows that, but I can tell you that many times in my life I have done the same thing. Typically you 'know' it because the individual who was starting to get behind you or do something to change your alert status from yellow to orange, a few minutes later assaulted someone else.

Like a burglar alarm with a sign outside your home, you truly never know for sure how many burglars were deterred, but if you see someone with a crowbar get out of a van and stealthily come on to your porch, then see an alarm decal and utter a swear word, then get back in their van and leave, you kind of 'know' the decal deterred a burglary.

The same thing can happen with 'body language', and happens all the time. If not to you, to other people; just go to a place where conflict often happens, and watch for awhile. You'll see it all the time, once you know what to look for.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good post and suggestions John. Thanks!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm missing a point, evidently. I would have backed myself into a corner, with my legally permitted EDC in plain sight, and called 911, leaving the line open for any ensuing activity. Leaving the safety of a defensible position and going outside is/was foolish.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Leaving the safety of a defensible position and going outside is/was foolish.
True. Unfortunately in the thick of things sometimes better choices aren't as obvious as to the observer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Leaving the safety of a defensible position and going outside is/was foolish.
True. Unfortunately in the thick of things sometimes better choices aren't as obvious as to the observer.
This was a combat hardened Marine....he stupidly allowed himself to go condition white knowing there were hostiles in the AO. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Craig Douglas (Southnarc) does classes on Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), regarding dealing with setups, robberies, etc, and ways of defusing or avoiding them, as well as tactics in dealing with them if they progress to contact events. He does work with knives, guns, ground work, and some sims. They look pretty interesting. Theres some vids on youtube of various aspects of it, and some of him discussing the work in interviews etc.

Sometimes things happen that were difficult to evade. Being accosted by a group can get messy. Ive seen comments people that have been in his classes that thought they knew some stuff, but once contact had been made, and they ended up on the ground, they realized they were not as well rounded as they thought. Multiple assailants seem to get inside peoples plans for defense. Not having compliant sparring partners has been mentioned. I'm completely out of my lane on this stuff, just passing on what I've heard about the classes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The Marine should have used common sense by not even entering a business where he was outnumbered like that. I know they things....I live 20 miles from Philly. By nature, these people are very predatory. At the very least, his food would have had "additives" that are not nutritious and not to mention his vehicle would most likely not have been in the same condition as how he left it. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:The Marine should have used common sense by not even entering a business where he was outnumbered like that. I know they things....I live 20 miles from Philly. By nature, these people are very predatory. At the very least, his food would have had "additives" that are not nutritious and not to mention his vehicle would most likely not have been in the same condition as how he left it. ----6
1970....Liberty Bell Racetrack....Mugged by GhettoRats..... :roll: Lesson Learned.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I just thank God, that I was not born in a large built up city or even close to one, full of problems and threats like this, and I try like hell not to have a reason to go there.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Lastmohecken wrote:I just thank God, that I was not born in a large built up city or even close to one, full of problems and threats like this, and I try like hell not to have a reason to go there.
Yep, Still always armed don't want to have to use it, been in court to often only the lawyers win.
It is not the critic who counts