1903 springfiels part 2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

1903 springfiels part 2

Post by JNG »

Well I took off the scope mount and saw that is a Remington 03-A3. Malamute you were right, I added a number to the serial that I put down. It is 407xxxx, 1943 I believe. Thanks for all the help.

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1903 springfiels part 2

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Now , that makes much more sense . You own one of the good ones. Unless sporterised by a famous gunsmith, they seem to bring most money when in 100% military configuration. A friend had one in .308 Norma mag. That rifle was a god shooter with it's four groove barrel. Most of them are great shooters.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Now , that makes much more sense . You own one of the good ones. Unless sporterised by a famous gunsmith, they seem to bring most money when in 100% military configuration. A friend had one in .308 Norma mag. That rifle was a god shooter with it's four groove barrel. Most of them are great shooters.
Yep. And that's what I'm lookin' for.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, that gun is waaaay past any worries about being low number. They are very well made, and very tough. Despite a quirk in the design of the rear of the barrel that doesn't support the case as well as it could, the late actions were tested to 125,000 psi without incident.

Should make you a fine sporter, with lots of class.

I've had a couple of the Remingtons. One was like new when I got it in the early 80s, I think it was unfired. With 190 gr HPBT speer match bullets, I shot a 5 shot group of 1 1/4" wide by about 1/2" tall with a 15-20 mph crosswind. I was sitting on the ground resting on the seat of my motorcycle. A sporter I shot with Remington 180 gr spitzer factory loads shot a 3 shot group prone with bipod of about 7/8". The 1903s were held to very tight specs overall, and most of them seem to shoot very well, even the wartime production guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:Well, that gun is waaaay past any worries about being low number. They are very well made, and very tough. Despite a quirk in the design of the rear of the barrel that doesn't support the case as well as it could, the late actions were tested to 125,000 psi without incident...
Cool.....I got a QuickLoad recipe that only generates 115,000 psi...!!! :twisted: :o :shock: :?

Seriously, they ARE strong, and if I recall correctly, there was a bit of a legal dust-up with Mauser over the patenting of that very strong action.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The do have an extra safety locking lug on the bolt. Makes me think that even the designer had his doubts about the strength of the materials at the time they were designed.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

The A3s were made of the same 8620 through hardening steel that the M1 Garands were. The design was strong enough with the older case hardened steels of the era for any 30-06 round within reason, and when the newer alloys became available there was no major design change except to speed up production for war time. Front bands, trigger guards, sights and sling and stacking swivels were mostly made of stampings. Two groove barrels were slightly quicker to make and were within accuracy specs. Lots of A4 sniper rifles are two groove. Someday I'll get all my 03s and A3s out and take some pictures. My go-to hunting rifle is a 300 Win Mag built on an A3, the barrel is original to the gun and rechambered from 06 to 300WM. I built a 338-06 on a Remington 03, another one of my favorites. Griff, whachalookinfor? PM me.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Les Staley wrote:Griff, whachalookinfor? PM me.
PM inbound.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!