Browning bl22 with oct barr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Browning bl22 with oct barr

Post by barbarossa »

Thinking about buying a Browning Bl22 with a octagonal bbl anyone shoot one, how do they compare with the standard carbine
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Browning bl22 with oct barr

Post by geobru »

I haven't shot one. I couldn't justify the difference between the octagon and standard barrel. I'd guess that it woud be a good shooter. I sure like my carbine!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Didn't know they made them with octagon barrels. Looked at their website, looks real nice. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The oct. barrel rifle is much longer (24", I think) compared to the 20" carbine. This would give a better sight radius if using open or peep sights. I have a 39A Marlin which I shortened to 18" to reduce front end weight, due to my dodgy shoulders. It is very twitchy with open sights, but with a scope it is a tack driver. I have actually thought of getting one of the oct. barrel BL22s for use in CLAS silhouette, as it is a lighter barrel profile and would not have nearly as much front end weight.
The other thing that longer barrels will do is to reduce velocity. Normal .22 ammo will reach peak velocity with a barrel of approx 16", and after that, every inch will increase friction and reduce velocity.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had 3 standard BL-22 carbines, over the years - but sold then because (like the Browning .22-Auto) they were too light for ME to hold for accurate game shots. (YMMV :) )

The GRII Octagon is the only BL-22 that doesn't feel like a child's gun - They shoot/handle much smoother & steadier than the standards.

If you can swing the $$$$, IMO you'll love it.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

they are beautiful ....... and tempting !
cable